Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2019, 11:16 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
You never answered the question.

I said previously I'm not going to try to specify the details, but there needs to be something done that is pro-active not reactive, something that prevents the incidents from happening rather than punishing someone for it afterwards. One suggestion was a limit on number of big dogs in one location to prevent packs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2019, 11:16 AM

19,724 posts, read 10,128,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
We don’t need more laws discriminating against certain dog breeds. Ugh!
No matter that the breed tends to be more aggressive and kill the most people?

Old 12-23-2019, 11:24 AM

57,315 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
I said previously I'm not going to try to specify the details, but there needs to be something done that is pro-active not reactive, something that prevents the incidents from happening rather than punishing someone for it afterwards. One suggestion was a limit on number of big dogs in one location to prevent packs.
I could see that, there are also laws here against chaining dogs outside.

Old 12-23-2019, 11:24 AM

8,168 posts, read 3,128,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Someone will claim that pit bulls are wonderful dogs. I had one try to attack me once, busted its head with a baseball bat.
Sure you did. Probably just like the aluminum one in the Primus music video...right?

Actually, in the real world, if the dog is not mistreated and/or taught to be aggressive, they won't be. I myself wouldn't own a pit bull but, I've been around them quite a bit and if they are raised and trained by the right type of people, they are very loving dogs.

The problem is, they don't know their own strength (so to speak). They may not intend to hurt people, but, their jaws are like very powerful pieces of equipment. For this, they have the potential to cause serious injury and/or death. They have to be respected, like all animals with the same potential.

My neighbor has a pit bull that they've had since it was a young puppy. Very cute and grew into a very athletic and powerful dog. They had his nads removed maybe at around 8 or 9 months old. He's a big baby and will slobber all over you. But again, he's got to be respected. If I were to attack his owners, that pit bull would chew me in two in a split second.

Old 12-23-2019, 11:25 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,142,126 times
The vast majority of pit bull owners are either abusive and/or neglectful losers or are naive do-gooders who adopt pit bulls previously ruined psychologically by said losers, and are simply unable to actually control them when needed.

Old 12-23-2019, 11:30 AM

19,724 posts, read 10,128,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
Sure you did. Probably just like the aluminum one in the Primus music video...right?

Actually, in the real world, if the dog is not mistreated and/or taught to be aggressive, they won't be. I myself wouldn't own a pit bull but, I've been around them quite a bit and if they are raised and trained by the right type of people, they are very loving dogs.

The problem is, they don't know their own strength (so to speak). They may not intend to hurt people, but, their jaws are like very powerful pieces of equipment. For this, they have the potential to cause serious injury and/or death. They have to be respected, like all animals with the same potential.

My neighbor has a pit bull that they've had since it was a young puppy. Very cute and grew into a very athletic and powerful dog. They had his nads removed maybe at around 8 or 9 months old. He's a big baby and will slobber all over you. But again, he's got to be respected. If I were to attack his owners, that pit bull would chew me in two in a split second.
I was walking at night for exercise. I always carry a bat for protection. The owner watched his pit come after me and try to jump on me snarling. So I hit it with a bat.
I had reported the dog before but animal control ignored it. Now I carry a gun, and would just shoot it.

Old 12-23-2019, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
I own two pitbulls. They are the hit of the neighborhood. People stop to pet them. I love the breed. I have owned pitbulls for 25 years. I live in a middle class neighborhood. There are a lot of misconceptions about them.
I agree. We've had two neighbors with them over the last 10 - 15 years and they've never caused any harm in our neighborhood. Because the owners have been nothing short of very responsible pit bull owners.

Old 12-23-2019, 11:37 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,192,076 times
Quote:
This is why pit bulls should at least require $1 million in insurance to own. Or be illegal.
It certainly would save the pitbulls from the kind of owners who make them a danger since they are largely ignorant, redneck turds.

Old 12-23-2019, 11:41 AM

2,911 posts, read 1,360,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
We started to see signs at the RV parks that you couldn’t have a Pitbull because of their insurance requirements. As time went by more breeds were added to the list such as shepherds. He looked like a malamute so we said he was. That’s what happens when there gets to be hate for certain breeds.
It's not hate for the breed; it's an effort to keep people safe and to save money. Insurance companies are good at crunching the numbers. They know certain breeds cause a disproportionate amount of injuries so they charge accordingly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
Their jaws DO NOT lock....that is a myth that has been perpetuated. In fact, their bite force, while quite formidable, is less than many other dogs such as GSD, Rotties, etc. The problem is there are a lot of poorly bred Pits that have unstable temperaments to go along with idiot owners. I have spent 50 years around many aggressive dog breeds as an owner and have trained dogs to a very high level. I NEVER trust a Pit and have seen more than one go off for no reason.
True. Their jaws do not lock. They have terrier blood, so terrier tenacity and that terrier way of hanging onto something and shaking their head to kill it, except they take it to an extreme level. There are videos all over the internet of pit bulls being kicked, hit with baseball bats, kicked by horses, and even shot, and still continuing the attack. Sometimes they hang on until they are killed. That's where the locking jaw myth got started. It's not a matter of poor breeding. This was the original purpose of the breed. They were bred for bull baiting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Also, one thing I noticed about the story from the OP, not once did they state what happened before the attack.
The owner's wife was severely injured and an unrelated woman was killed by the family's three dogs. Are you implying that those women are somehow responsible for what happened to them? And if you believe your dog killed your cat because it lacked exercise I've got a bridge for sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
The biggest problem with the "statistics" is that most people, including police, those who work in shelters, etc, don't even know wth a pit bull is.
Ah, the old, "most people can't tell a pit bull from other dogs" line. Well fortunately Dogsbite backs its statistics up with pictures of the dog(s) and screenshots from the owner's own Facebook pages and any other way they can to ensure that their statistics are accurate, so you don't need to worry about that. By the way, you provided a link that states that pit bulls were bred for hunting and to drive livestock when it's well known that they were bred for bull baiting (hence the name pit bull) and dog fighting.

Old 12-23-2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
But you always have to be careful. Many stories of pitbull owners who had no problems for years and then the dog suddenly attacked, usually the owner or their family.
There was a situation years ago where a couple had two pit bulls and went on vacation, leaving one of their elderly parents to care for it. The dog wasn't used to the parent and ended up attacking and killing him/her. It was an unfortunate accident. But again, the owner(s) of pit bulls need to be very diligent in caring and maintaining this type of dog, because it's got the potential to cause serious injury and/or death. I hold the owner(s) responsible.

When you read about pit bull attacks, the root cause is more times then not the owners mistake and/or fault. Leaving the gate open, not maintaining proper containment for the dog, teaching the dog to be aggressive. Abusing the dog. Leaving the dog unattended around little kids, babies, or adults that the dog isn't accustom to, and so on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies