Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2019, 08:11 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,145,575 times

Advertisements

Maybe not surprising, but still depressing: Women continue to be harassed online, even when mayor. And the insults tend often to be irrelevant to the job. Like "fat."

‘Worthless. Gutless. Loser.’ Online attacks escalate when the mayor is a woman.
By Addel Hasasn

Mayor Satya Rhodes-Conway’s inbox makes abundantly clear how personally venomous local politics has become. “‘Fat,’ ‘sick,’ ‘worthless,’ ‘gutless,’ ‘loser,’ ” she said, reciting some of the insults that have been leveled at her since becoming mayor of Madison, Wisconsin, in April...

And one factor — gender — stood out above all others as a predictor of whether a mayor would be targeted. Using a statistical analysis that took into account factors like time in office, the researchers concluded that female mayors were more than twice as likely as their male counterparts to experience psychological abuse and almost three times as likely to experience physical violence.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/23/u...dia-abuse.html

https://www.chicagotribune.com/natio...peq-story.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2019, 09:30 PM

2,448 posts, read 894,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Maybe not surprising, but still depressing: Women continue to be harassed online, even when mayor. And the insults tend often to be irrelevant to the job. Like "fat."

By Addel Hasasn

Mayor Satya Rhodes-Conway’s inbox makes abundantly clear how personally venomous local politics has become. “‘Fat,’ ‘sick,’ ‘worthless,’ ‘gutless,’ ‘loser,’ ” she said, reciting some of the insults that have been leveled at her since becoming mayor of Madison, Wisconsin, in April...

And one factor — gender — stood out above all others as a predictor of whether a mayor would be targeted. Using a statistical analysis that took into account factors like time in office, the researchers concluded that female mayors were more than twice as likely as their male counterparts to experience psychological abuse and almost three times as likely to experience physical violence.

Men encounter much more of that, and much harsher and more threatening attacks then women do. I've had someone post on a different forum that he'd like to cut my head off, talk about fighting me, threaten in other ways. Men encounter these sorts of threats much more often than women. Yet, the idea that I would whine about it or publicly posture about it is unthinkable.

Apparently, no one has cared enough about this woman or women like her to say this:

1. You'll never be able to force other people to say the things you want them to say or not say the things you don't want to say.

2. The things they say only hurt if they're true. If they are true, take responsibility for yourself and change.

3. Life is hard. One part of those hardships is sometimes having your feelings hurt. Deal with it. Get stronger, rather than wallowing in this culture that increasingly celebrates weakness and grievance. Put on your big girl pants.

Old 12-27-2019, 09:41 PM

9,049 posts, read 3,526,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiociolliscalves View Post
Yet, the idea that I would whine about it or publicly posture about it is unthinkable.
Yes, this is the flaw of the "study", which is really just a survey that hasn't managed self selection bias.

What they have found is a high probability that female mayors are more likely to respond to this survey.

Old 12-27-2019, 09:53 PM

30,642 posts, read 18,249,084 times
Welcome to politics lady. I don't condone such attacks but they are take compared to what I've heard numerous male politicians called. If your first inclination is to cry sexism, maybe you should stay out of the proverbial kitchen.

Old 12-27-2019, 11:07 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,867,540 times
Quote:

By Addel Hasasn

Mayor Conway seems like a good mayor, because Madison seems like a very well-run city with a rock-bottom crime rate and it's one of the best cities in the country.

I could care less if a person running for office is male or female. But in many elections it seems as though a large percentage of liberals will vote based on gender, ethnicity or orientation. Rather than look at quality they vote based on a segments.

Omaha has an excellent Republican Female mayor Jean Stothert who has done an excellent job in Omaha. It is an incredibly visionary city. The mayor of Omaha is a brilliant person and an excellent communicator.

There are lots of Democratic female mayors who were elected though just because they are female and not based on their vision, policy and how they manage the city.

The female mayors of St. Louis, Washingto DC and the last one in Baltimore seemed to have been elected just because on their gender and not policy.

The last mayor of Salt Lake City Jackie Biskupski is widely known to have been a complete failure with skyrocketing crime and homelessness when she was mayor. I saw a video of her talking about homelessness and crime which skyrocketed under her watch and she couldn't articulate anything.

With Jackie Biskupski in Salt Lake it was as if the Democrats who are wide majority in Salt Lake City proper decided it would be cool just elect her based on her being in a same-sex relationship and because she was a female.

I would vote for the best person running and could care less about their orientation or gender but in many Democratic cities especially they will vote based on gender and many other issues that have nothing to do with operating a good city.

Old 12-27-2019, 11:12 PM

2,448 posts, read 894,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
I wouldn't apply those words to Mayor Conway, because Madison seems like a very well-run city with a rock-bottom crime rate and it's one of the best cities in the country.

I could care less if a person running for office is male or female. But in many elections it seems as though a large percentage of liberals will vote based on gender, ethnicity or orientation. Rather than look at quality they vote based on a segments.

Omaha has an excellent Republican Female mayor Jean Stothert who has done an excellent job in Omaha. It is an incredibly visionary city. The mayor of Omaha is a brilliant person and an excellent communicator.

There are lots of Democratic female mayors who were elected though just because they are female and not based on their vision, policy and how they manage the city.

The female mayors of St. Louis, Washingto DC and the last one in Baltimore seemed to have been elected just because on their gender and not policy.

The last mayor of Salt Lake City Jackie Biskupski is widely known to have been a complete failure with skyrocketing crime and homelessness when she was mayor. I saw a video of her talking about homelessness and crime which skyrocketed under her watch and she couldn't articulate anything.

With Jackie Biskupski in Salt Lake it was as if the Democrats who are wide majority in Salt Lake City proper decided it would be cool just elect her based on her being in a same-sex relationship and because she was a female.

I would vote for the best person running and could care less about their orientation or gender but in many Democratic cities especially they will vote based on gender and many other issues that have nothing to do with operating a good city.
Madison, WI? Surely you jest. I live up here. It's an island of misfit toys, freak circus..."33 square miles surrounded by reality." Would you like me to start posting the news stories and video clips of local government?

Old 12-27-2019, 11:16 PM

9,985 posts, read 5,689,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Welcome to politics lady. I don't condone such attacks but they are take compared to what I've heard numerous male politicians called. If your first inclination is to cry sexism, maybe you should stay out of the proverbial kitchen.
And go back into the real one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Mayor Conway seems like a good mayor, because Madison seems like a very well-run city with a rock-bottom crime rate and it's one of the best cities in the country.
I don't know if she's a great mayor or a terrible mayor, but it's not like she set any of that in motion. Madison has been that way for as long as anyone can remember. All she has to do is mind the system others designed and built over the previous decades.

Old 12-27-2019, 11:30 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,867,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiociolliscalves View Post
Madison, WI? Surely you jest. I live up here. It's an island of misfit toys, freak circus..."33 square miles surrounded by reality." Would you like me to start posting the news stories and video clips of local government?
Like Democratic Boulder in Colorado, Madison is a very expensive city with landlords who can be selective to whom they rent because of the extremely low vacancy rates.

From what I have read, Madison housing prices are extremely expensive even compared to Chicago and Minneapolis. They vote Democratic in Madison but they are very expensive intentionally which keeps rampant gang culture and baby-factories who have their yearly baby with a new parolee from setting up shop in their exclusive, burgoise city.

They are extremely Democratic because they are socially liberal in Madison but there is a huge premium to pay to live in both and the only way for a person to live in either without lots of resources is to know a person who has a rental for a deal or be approved for a very limited and select number of housing vouchers but with the very, very low vacancy rates I doubt many landlords would be advertising for accepting housing vouchers.

Old 12-27-2019, 11:32 PM

39,875 posts, read 26,526,580 times
Quote:

By Addel Hasasn

You can add whiny to "fat, sick worthless, gutless loser". Trump is called all those things and worse. If you can't stand the heat...

Old 12-28-2019, 02:28 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,878,633 times
Quote:

By Addel Hasasn

Good to know that you'd never do stuff like this, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies