Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2020, 03:01 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,101,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
No. but I don't think its wise to go open my trunk with a guy rushing me with a knife...…...
They could have accessed the shotgun before it got to that point. And I assume that when they got the call they were informed of the situation, i.e., a possibly mentally ill man walking around brandishing a knife. Seems like it might have been a good idea to have that tool ready to deploy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2020, 03:01 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,213,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Too easy to miss and then, that round is down range to potentially take out an innocent bystander.

One shoots for center of mass.
I prefer they shoot the gun out of their hand like John Wayne.

Or shoot them in the left foot.

Old 01-13-2020, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Do you get out? First, Crown Vics haven't been used in the fleet for a very long time. Secondly are you going to pay the additional taxes in your county to cover all the new armaments, ammunition and training for your 300+ LEO force. One doesn't simply load bean bags into a shotgun. Either one is converted into or one purchases one. So at $500 each. That's around $150,000 your LEO's need to spend to purchase the guns.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/subur...120-story.html
Ford Explorers can hold a lot of gear too. And how much to cities and municipalities pay out each year to settle lawsuits filed by families members of people killed by cops?

Old 01-13-2020, 03:07 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,135,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I prefer they shoot the gun out of their hand like John Wayne.

Or shoot them in the left foot.
Why not stars or boomerangs?

Old 01-13-2020, 03:16 PM

14,232 posts, read 4,598,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Ford Explorers can hold a lot of gear too. And how much to cities and municipalities pay out each year to settle lawsuits filed by families members of people killed by cops?
there are approx 18,000 police agencies (city, county, state, federal) in the US. Most of those police agencies are tiny, some agencies only have 10 cops in the whole force.

One of my coworkers used to work for a small town PD in Nebraskka. He said he had to buy all his own equipment (including body armor) and his police cruiser was a 12 year old Caprice

Old 01-13-2020, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
there are approx 18,000 police agencies (city, county, state, federal) in the US. Most of those police agencies are tiny, some agencies only have 10 cops in the whole force.

One of my coworkers used to work for a small town PD in Nebraskka. He said he had to buy all his own equipment (including body armor) and his police cruiser was a 12 year old Caprice
Well, sure, some municipalities can barely afford a patrol car. But some are pretty well off and can afford to invest in non-lethal tools to resolve a situation without resorting to deadly force. I see this as a positive thing. I don't understand the pushback on this issue.

Old 01-13-2020, 03:24 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,213,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Why not stars or boomerangs?
Perfect..

What movie was it.... Shooter where Mark Whalberg shoots off the guys trigger finger.

Whats wrong with that?

Old 01-13-2020, 04:02 PM

8,168 posts, read 3,130,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa1 View Post
I don’t get the whole ‘suicide by cop’ thing, why not do it themselves if they want to die that badly?
They can't bring themselves to pull the trigger on themselves. It's really not that hard of a concept to understand. Some believe that Marvin Gaye did the same thing but had his father shoot him.

Old 01-13-2020, 05:12 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,638,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Martial training for police is pitiful, and the firearm training is just slightly less awful. After my initial qualifications in military law enforcement, I did two required requals in the next three years in order to be part of base police. The only reason I had real training was my "night job" as part of Reaction Security Force for the base which also made us the de facto RSF for the Yorktown Weapons Station, and the Marines who ran that detachment took that particular duty seriously. Had I not been involved in that, my post LEO school firearm training over three years would have been 36 shots from a 1911 with "score" being "did half of the shots hit the target at 7 yards?"

And outside my RSF training, I was required to do exactly zero physical or martial training for unarmed or melee combat. Zero. And we were the badasses compared to the civilian base police, who I think had a physical requirement that you had to be over 35% body fat to remain employed, since all of the civilian base police were tubbos.

It's frightening who gets issued firearms as part of their workday.
One depot I worked on had a private security force. Rent a cops. The average security guard was well past retirement age and was there supplementing Social Security.

Standards for security people got handed down from the Army in 2000 on a contract renegotiation and stipulated a certain level of physical ability more in line with Leo's.

No more 88 yo lady security types. Before that the security force was ...pretty bad.

Old 01-13-2020, 06:15 PM

46,313 posts, read 27,124,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Is it unreasonable for cops to keep a shotgun loaded with beanbag rounds in the trunks of their patrol cars for this type of situation? Last time I looked the trunk in a Crown Vic can hold a lot of stuff.

This has to be one of the dumbest posts ever.....actual bullets did not stop this idiot, and you expect "bean bags" to take this guy out, to pose no other threat to the cop?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies