Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2020, 04:00 PM

5,479 posts, read 2,122,053 times

Advertisements

This thread has run it's course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2020, 04:22 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,131,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
This thread has really gone on for to long. From a military perspective we at one time used to do the three shot method. First shot was the air, if that didn't stop the person then the second shot was at the ground or below the knee, if that didn't stop the person then the third shot was into the chest. Time and time again, the first two shots nearly never worked with verbal warnings included. For year after year, for decade after decade; Nearly never. Thus now it's a verbal warning followed by a chest shot.
When? I was in the Army, late 60s, and was never taught that.

Old 01-14-2020, 04:51 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,758,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llcnyc View Post
and what military taught this and when?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
When? I was in the Army, late 60s, and was never taught that.
USMC in the 80's and both my son's in the 2000's.

I also have family in the IDF, they were taught it also and found the second shot to work most of the time and for the few it didn't work for the third shot neutralized the person.

Old 01-14-2020, 06:04 PM

Quote:

I also have family in the IDF, they were taught it also and found the second shot to work most of the time and for the few it didn't work for the third shot neutralized the person.
You do know that it can be illegal to fire a warning shot for anyone but a cop?

Old 01-14-2020, 06:32 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,758,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
You do know that it can be illegal to fire a warning shot for anyone but a cop?
Did you miss the part that I was a US Marine at the time (or do you not know what USMC stands for)? I and both my sons who've all served in the Middle East learned pretty quickly that warning shots have zero effect.

Old 01-14-2020, 06:40 PM

5,479 posts, read 2,122,053 times
Quote:

I was a Marine in the 80s and even an MP for awhile...we were NEVER taught that! Not in boot camp, nor in the MPs.

Old 01-14-2020, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Did you miss the part that I was a US Marine at the time (or do you not know what USMC stands for)? I and both my sons who've all served in the Middle East learned pretty quickly that warning shots have zero effect.
We were talking about what cops should do and i this country. It is what the whole thread is about.

Old 01-14-2020, 06:55 PM

4,909 posts, read 2,059,477 times
I served a total of 30 years in the US Army’s Combat Arms and NEVER heard of firing one round in the air and then one round into the ground... Before firing a round center-mass. I served in several rapid response and frontline airborne units.

If the Rules of Engagement are met, then soldiers are taught to shoot center-mass... Nothing more and nothing less. Even our snipers are trained to shoot center-mass or take a head shot.

Also, there are NO major law enforcement agency in the United States that allows ANY of there officers to fire a warning shot either in the air or into the ground... Period.

Old 01-14-2020, 07:05 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,755,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
For anyone advocating leg shots, I recommend the following experiment:

Got to your local gun range. Rent a 9mm pistol, either Glock or Sig, since most police forces use one or the other. Buy a target. On that target, draw two rectangles roughly the size of your own thigh somewhere on the bottom half of the target. Hang the target and move it 10 yards down range. OK, target is all set. Now, load a full magazine into your 9mm pistol and holster it. OK, firearm is ready.

Now...do pushups until you literally cannot push yourself off the floor again. Wait one minute, then do that again. You need to do that until two things are the case - you are out of breath and your arms feel like jello. Immediately after finishing the last set of pushups, go to the ready line, draw, now fire the entire magazine in three shot bursts, aiming for the rectangles. When the slide racks locked, put down the weapon and retrieve the target.

If you got 1 shot in the entire magazine into either of those rectangles, you're a better marksman than like 90% of the population. 2 hits would make you better than 99%. 3 would be otherworldly. The reason being that under stress, with a bad case of stress shakes, hitting anything with a pistol from the standing position is pretty remarkable. Hitting small targets that are moving? Yeah, even harder.

Give it a try. Hell, practice for a year ad see how well you do. It isn't as easy as the armchair QBs like to think it is.
Also, as per the situation in the OP, have someone in the booth make the target come towards the shooter while shooting.

Old 01-14-2020, 07:07 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,755,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergun View Post
I served a total of 30 years in the US Army’s Combat Arms and NEVER heard of firing one round in the air and then one round into the ground... Before firing a round center-mass. I served in several rapid response and frontline airborne units.

If the Rules of Engagement are met, then soldiers are taught to shoot center-mass... Nothing more and nothing less. Even our snipers are trained to shoot center-mass or take a head shot.

Also, there are NO major law enforcement agency in the United States that allows ANY of there officers to fire a warning shot either in the air or into the ground... Period.
True^^^ I was a LEO in NYC and warning shots were verboten.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies