Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2020, 11:49 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,763,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
So you are telling us IDF were shooting live rounds & aiming for the legs at combatants armed with RPG and AK47?

Not a bunch of protesters/rioters armed with rocks and whatever projectiles they can get their hands on.....LIKE EVERY RIOTER OR PROTESTER ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD?
Rocks, Molotov cocktails, launching incendiary balloons, grenades, knives, etc. Other protesters around the world don't do this in this manner. Their leaders don't give them assault weapons out of fear of them turning around and shooting at their leaders. As stated earlier, they have a extremely higher injury rate than they do a death rate. You can go to numerous websites and nearly all of those shot were below the knee. Those hit with a body mass hit, usually got it due changing their movements while the projectile was already in motion. As 99+% of these shootings are in the Gaza Strip, there exists a 500 meter (yard) no man's zone this is a buffer. Those who've been shot, were in the no man's zone

Depending on the situation it could be live rounds, rubber rounds or sponge rounds. It depends on the situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2020, 12:20 PM

13,966 posts, read 5,632,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I dont know where you took your CCW class, but they don't typically teach you to tap anyone anywhere. What they do teach you basic firearm safety and that having a CCW licence does NOT make one a police officer.
The assumption is you are in the imminent danger that is the only justification to draw the weapon, and if drawn, how the firing is supposed to go.

Where did I say that was the entire ladder of force?

When I took my required classroom training, they followed the same basic rule of "if it leaves the holster, it is only because you have legit, imminent fear of death coming your way, and to end that threat, you shoot a minimum of three shots, starting at waist level of CoM." IF IF IF IF it leaves the holster, it is ONLY BECAUSE....

Nobody ever teaches warning shots or shooting at extremities. Everyone teaches that the gun coming up is your absolute last resort, but if you get there, you double/triple tap minimum, center of mass, period.

Old 01-16-2020, 02:31 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,012,645 times
Default Why don't police aim for the leg ?

I might suggest that police be equipped with a powerful electromagnet, such as are found in MRI machines. A hand-held version with a trigger could be designed. In a 'suicide-by-cop' situation, the electromagnet could be aimed at the knife-wielder, and the knife popped right out of his hand.

No more suicide by cop, which has been a growing problem.

Old 01-16-2020, 02:37 PM

5,479 posts, read 2,122,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
I might suggest that police be equipped with a powerful electromagnet, such as are found in MRI machines. A hand-held version with a trigger could be designed. In a 'suicide-by-cop' situation, the electromagnet could be aimed at the knife-wielder, and the knife popped right out of his hand.

No more suicide by cop, which has been a growing problem.
Wouldn't that affect the plate in your head?

I suggest, instead of suggesting the police do this or that, we start suggesting the criminals get jobs and behaving instead of committing crimes!

Old 01-16-2020, 02:42 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,763,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I dont know where you took your CCW class, but they don't typically teach you to tap anyone anywhere. What they do teach you basic firearm safety and that having a CCW licence does NOT make one a police officer.
We don't agree with you much, but on this you are correct. Training is to stop or neutralize the other person and not to kill them.

Old 01-22-2020, 03:59 PM

I read that the pistols used in Olympic shooting contests can shoot a quarter or even a dime at about 100 feet. Why not supply police with one of these pistols instead of the Glocks and magnums that are normally issued? With this level of accuracy, it should be easy to hit an knife-wielding assailant in the fleshy part of the leg at 20 or so feet.

You hit a man in the fleshy part of the leg, and I guarantee he is going to drop like a sack of potatoes. Once you can't put any weight on one leg, you're going down. Then the assailant could be taken to the hospital instead of the morgue, and while he's there, get him the mental help he needs as well.

Old 01-22-2020, 04:35 PM

14,232 posts, read 4,598,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
I read that the pistols used in Olympic shooting contests can shoot a quarter or even a dime at about 100 feet. Why not supply police with one of these pistols instead of the Glocks and magnums that are normally issued? With this level of accuracy, it should be easy to hit an knife-wielding assailant in the fleshy part of the leg at 20 or so feet.

You hit a man in the fleshy part of the leg, and I guarantee he is going to drop like a sack of potatoes. Once you can't put any weight on one leg, you're going down. Then the assailant could be taken to the hospital instead of the morgue, and while he's there, get him the mental help he needs as well.
This post CANNOT serious. There are so many flaws with your post I don’t even know where to begin.

How about let’s start with Olympic pistol uses .22 caliber round?

Old 01-22-2020, 04:37 PM

14,232 posts, read 4,598,157 times
I see Olympic Judoka throws people around without any effort. Why not supply cops with Judo kimonos so they can throw people around without resorting to a taser like Judo in the Olympic?

Old 01-22-2020, 06:45 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,638,146 times
So this thread was resurrected. (Sigh) OK, I'll bite. I've ha a somewhat taxing day though so I'll make this plain. There is NO , zero, zilch., nada standard handgun round that guarantees a single round instant fight stopping ability with a hit anywhere on the human body except through the brain.

That is just plain indisputable fact. Standard handgun chamberings are very poor fight stoppers. That's something that hasn't changed since handguns were invented.

And I do not agree at all with this "stop or nrutralize" premise. Not one bit. If it has come to where I am aiming a firearm at someone my intent will be to kill. Not wound warn or anything else.

If I have been forced to draw and aim a firearm it will be for lethal purposes. Because if its come to that there is lethal intent toward mine or me at play.

If someone had it in their head that aiming a firearm at someone can intentionally end any other way has has that sort of faith in their shooting by all means have at it.

But if it my loved ones and/or my fate on the line I will shoot to kill.

Old 01-31-2020, 12:43 PM

I offer a quote from Fight Like a Mother by Shannon Watts, who is founder of 'Moms Demand Action,' and is an expert on gun matters:

Quote:
One of the police shootings of an unarmed African American...Stephon Clark...Police said they though Stephon had a gun...But he was holding only a cell phone....

[H]e was shot eight times. That is shooting to kill--not seeking to de-escalate the situation....

Stphon's grandmother said: "They didn't have to kill him like that...Why didn't you shoot him in the arm? Shoot him in the leg?...Why?"

Even months later, her simple question is in my mind: Why? (p 201)
Bottom line here, not all experts agree that shooting in the leg is an inadvisable tactic. Again, I would argue that if you hit an assailant in the fleshy part of the leg, he'll drop like a sack of potatoes. Then he can be taken to the hospital, not the morgue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies