Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2020, 07:45 AM

6,382 posts, read 2,948,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbkr5 View Post
PLEASE SIR, DROP THE KNIFE!
Did anyone count how many times the cop warned this moron.

And how many rounds did that model citizen take before he dropped?
He was not a moron. He was mentally ill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2020, 07:51 AM

16,344 posts, read 8,133,518 times
Cops showed good restraint in dealing with this guy. But they should have had more non-lethal tools to take the guy down such as shotguns loaded with non-lethal bean bag rounds and a K9 dog. I doubt that tasers or pepper spray would have had any effect even if the cops could have gotten close enough to deploy them.

Old 01-13-2020, 07:55 AM

27,461 posts, read 13,688,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
The Kings policy of stop and frisk was a mitigating factor in the eviction of his armies from these shores. And so it should be wherever it found in practice today.
A free society doesn't molest, grope,pat down, search its inhabitants, etc., absent the commision of a crime.
Stop and Frisk had been used in the US for a long time, and you still search incoming goods and arrivals in relation to weapons and smuggling.

The idea that not being able to search known gang members based on intelligence is all King George III fault is laughable.

Also using sniffer dogs and knife arches is not random stop and search it's based on intelligence provided.

Whilst the use of non-lethals and the minimum force required in Europe is largely down to Article 2 'The Right to Life' as enshrined in the European Convention on Human Rights (ECHR). This article also prevents extradition from Europe where a person can face the death penalty or torture. Article 3 relates to torture and there are numerous other human rights.

Old 01-13-2020, 08:01 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,848,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Cops showed good restraint in dealing with this guy. But they should have had more non-lethal tools to take the guy down such as shotguns loaded with non-lethal bean bag rounds and a K9 dog. I doubt that tasers or pepper spray would have had any effect even if the cops could have gotten close enough to deploy them.
LEO's don't have the correct weapons across the US where they remove the clip they're using and replace it with a rubber bullet clip. Also in this instance when the person is walking in paved streets, one has do deal with ricochets that hit the ground and then head in a different direction possibly hitting someone else.

Old 01-13-2020, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
LEO's don't have the correct weapons across the US where they remove the clip they're using and replace it with a rubber bullet clip. Also in this instance when the person is walking in paved streets, one has do deal with ricochets that hit the ground and then head in a different direction possibly hitting someone else.
Beanbag rounds don't ricochet like bullets. And they're fired from shotguns used just for that purpose, not cop's service weapons (handguns). These cops showed heart and courage but should have been better equipped. But I put that on the local PD and community. They want safe streets? Give the cops the tools they need.

Old 01-13-2020, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Beanbag rounds don't ricochet like bullets. And they're fired from shotguns used just for that purpose, not cop's service weapons (handguns). These cops showed heart and courage but should have been better equipped. But I put that on the local PD and community. They want safe streets? Give the cops the tools they need.

Your own area shoots to kill. Maybe you should fix your own city before telling others how to fix theirs.

https://wtop.com/alexandria/2019/09/...ion-in-2-days/

Old 01-13-2020, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Your own area shoots to kill. Maybe you should fix your own city before telling others how to fix theirs.

I haven't heard of this shooting and know nothing about it so I can't give my opinion on it. But I'll readily admit that that there have been quite a few unjustified police shootings in my area in recent years. I have spoken out about them. And I fully support spending the money to properly equip local law enforcement with the necessary tools for the job.

Old 01-13-2020, 08:30 AM

Quote:

And by the way, the suspect in this case was wounded, not killed.

Old 01-13-2020, 08:45 AM

Quote:
And by the way, the suspect in this case was wounded, not killed.

The burglar survived being shot by a LEO.

Old 01-13-2020, 08:49 AM

Quote:
The burglar survived being shot by a LEO.
Sometimes lethal force by LEO officers is justified. I don't know enough about this case to form an opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies