Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2020, 08:03 AM

48,581 posts, read 34,980,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
Yah, but the hospitals & health care systems in China - in the affected areas, @ least - seem to be crumbling under the onslaught of patients who may or may not have Wuhan CV. If everyone panics, everything falls apart.

We won't have reliable case histories & statistical analysis until we have a sufficiently large numerical base of Wuhan CV patients to work with. That's why I expect Western countries will create a single large database for all Wuhan CV infected patients - in order to have a large enough patient sample to extract meaningful statistical information.

Exactly.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-28-2020, 08:04 AM

40,968 posts, read 49,289,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Listen, I'm not freaked out over this.

But I do find it fascinating.

I also think that it's only a matter of time before there is a true global pandemic. Is it this coronavirus? Maybe. Maybe not.

We're about due for Mother Nature cleaning some serious house.
Can you imagine this taking hold in pitholes like the heavily congested slums of India.

At least China mostly has the resources to fight this.

Old 01-28-2020, 08:08 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,483,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
I can't even believe that people eat pigs feet, cows tongue , and liver. Ugh.. and that is here in America.
Tongue is great, I love it.

I only eat liver about once a year, so usually at a restaurant.

I have eaten silk worms and sea slugs in China, many times. I don't care for them but when one is at a banquet one should be as gracious as possible and eat the delicacies when the host spent so much money on your behalf.

Old 01-28-2020, 08:11 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,483,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Can you imagine this taking hold in pitholes like the heavily congested slums of India.
OMG, you are right!

Imagine if this were spreading through Bangladesh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
At least China mostly has the resources to fight this.
True.

Old 01-28-2020, 08:15 AM

4,802 posts, read 2,812,873 times
Default Soup's up

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post

But COME ON!!!!
When you treat animals this sadistic way in China, cramming them all in cages one on top of others, piling them up dead and alive fighting for their last breath in agony, all kind of species that have no business to be in such proximity to each other (or to serve as food source for people) - this is going to snap.

They say now that this virus keeps on mutating and becoming more and more aggressive.
Yes, that's what they say over there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rInVJzo8Y4
Yah. US food animals - chicken, cattle, swine - are treated in similar ways - although we tend to rationalize the coops into huge Quonset hut types of housing. & we use a lot of antibiotics on our food animals - one reason that antibiotics are losing efficacy in the West. We also use various hormones on dairy cows - but that's another matter.

Frankly, the movement to vegetable protein in the West is coming just in time - assuming that we can get over the Wuhan CV issue, & any related issues still over the horizon.

Old 01-28-2020, 08:23 AM

4,802 posts, read 2,812,873 times
Default First-hand is best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
I read upthread that Trump or some part of his government was making noise because they could not take charge or personally investigate the contagious illness in China. Canadians are working on a vaccine in Canada. Why does the USA want to be in China to help contain the illness?

Planes are still arriving from China. If the USA wants to do something to prevent the spread, they can do something on their own shores first to indicate sincerity.
It's about getting patient & disease experience, & gathering case histories & data. For data purposes, you want to go to the site of the concentration of the disease, which means Wuhan & China.

Old 01-28-2020, 08:26 AM

33,592 posts, read 18,215,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Tongue is great, I love it.

I only eat liver about once a year, so usually at a restaurant.

I have eaten silk worms and sea slugs in China, many times. I don't care for them but when one is at a banquet one should be as gracious as possible and eat the delicacies when the host spent so much money on your behalf.
No thanks I will pass.. I would be gracious and say I am watching my waistline. Better than gagging in front of them.. I have been offered such things as octopus and passed.. rattlesnake meat , chocolate covered ants..ugh..

Old 01-28-2020, 08:54 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,938,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Why do you need to buy water? Why Candles? I get the hand sanitizer and medicine, but why the other stuff?
I suppose the candles are for when the electricity goes out? Water for when the water pumping station goes out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
How the flu ( any flu) kills:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...y-kill-people/

“ Worldwide, the flu results in 3-5 million cases of severe illness and 291,000-646,000 deaths annually, according to the CDC and WHO.
THIS IS NOT THE FLU! DO NOT SPREAD THAT KIND OF MISINFORMATION!!!

Old 01-28-2020, 09:01 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,938,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Do you think that anti-vaxxers might have an advantage here?
No. They'll be suscetible to both the flu and the new coronavirus.

Old 01-28-2020, 09:02 AM

33,592 posts, read 18,215,849 times
US Health Secretary giving live updates on Corona Virus. Starting soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzZdn7FgS1k

Last edited by Taratova; 01-28-2020 at 10:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies