Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2020, 11:26 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,924,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMak70 View Post
Face it, the Republicans are going to do whatever they can to protect Trump, regardless of the Constitution. First of all, they do not want to see a Democrat in the White House next time, and secondly, they will do anything to protect their own jobs.

Regardless of how damning the information is in this impeachment, people like Nunes, Jordan, and McConnell will ignore the truth and vote in favor of Trump. How these people look their families in the eye is hard to imagine.

One Republican called the Democrats' efforts to introduce documents and witnesses into the trial a "stunt".

Apparently using witnesses and documents in a trial to get at the truth is tantamount to treason against the USA in the Repubs' opinions. What has this country come to????

Old 01-21-2020, 11:29 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnh View Post
Impeachment is a Constitutional remedy for abuse of power or office and does not require a crime.

By your logic, a president could not be impeached for promising pardons to murderers of political rivals, but could be impeached for a speeding ticket. It's a ludicrous argument.

(And the GAO determined trump did break the law.)

What is trump hiding? What are the Republicans hiding?

"The President, Vice President and all civil officers of the United States, shall be removed from office on impeachment for, and conviction of, treason, bribery, or other high crimes and misdemeanors."

https://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/articleii

The GAO isn't mentioned in the Constitution, but the Senate is.

Old 01-21-2020, 11:31 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,042,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
Senate won't even admit House testimony because it was heresay. Dems da breaks! lol
Keep repeating lies. Does't make them true. Oh wait you are channeling your idol. I forgot.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/57145829-post97.html

Remember this? I hate having to repeat myself!

Last edited by ralphfr; 01-21-2020 at 11:46 AM..

Old 01-21-2020, 11:31 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,459,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Wrong.
Speaker Pelosi, Adam Schiff, and Jerry Nadler expedited the impeachment timeline and made the conscious decision to do so without judicial resolutions on the witnesses they may have wanted to call.
They say their evidence is overwhelming. Nadler said in his presser, "this is an open and shut case". Now they get to try their case, with the evidence they have brought forward in the House. The burden is on the accuser. Not the accused.
All that is asked for is public documents, which belong to the people of the United States, and testimony from public servants, who are employees of the people of the United States.

No one is asking Trump to testify against himself, just to open up the public record which belongs to us.

Old 01-21-2020, 11:34 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishvanguard View Post
“Abuse of power”, huh? The problem is the trial accusation was attempting to gain advantage over a political opponent, but the Dems realized that’s the crime that the DNC committed with the provable purchase of the Steele dossier. So they had to slam into full reverse, to avoid self-incriminating testimony in the House investigation. Hence, non-criminal charges presented to the Senate.
Huh?

Abuse of power is one of the two articles of Impeachment that were sent to the Senate. Have you even been paying attention at all?

Also the DNC can't commit abuse of power because it holds no office with powers to abuse.

Old 01-21-2020, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Right.

The so-called "whistle-blower" never testified.

I assume the reason for that is he had no direct evidence of anything.

Furthermore, taking the stand for the Democrats would open the door to cross examination.

Why are you commenting on something you obviously know nothing about? Please educate yourself on the act, actually multiple acts, passed by Congress on how the whistle-blower protection acts work. Then come back and comment.

Old 01-21-2020, 11:35 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,459,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
One Republican called the Democrats' efforts to introduce documents and witnesses into the trial a "stunt".
That will make a great soundbite when the guy is up for reelection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Apparently using witnesses and documents in a trial to get at the truth is tantamount to treason against the USA in the Repubs' opinions. What has this country come to????
In an absolute monarchy that could be the case, in an authoritarian state it could be the case, but in a true republic it could not be.

Old 01-21-2020, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
Exactly. The Senate's job is to evaluate the House's work and reach a verdict/judgment as to whether it's enough to remove. It's not a never-ending fishing expedition. Any trial lawyer would know this. You can't just call new witnesses who weren't disclosed and deposed before the trial unless there is a detailed proffer as to what their testimony will be.

That won't stop liberals from lying about it. We have 13 pages of it on this thread alone.
This is funny. During the inquiry you were all trying to compare it to a trial of criminal charges. Now when it actually is a trial you argue the opposite. Which part of the word trial do you need explained?

Old 01-21-2020, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
The left is losing support. I've run into a lot of people here in southern CA who are quite over it with them. One such example is from yesterday. I was walking to the pet store, and passed by a Sprouts store (some type of store for those who buy the organic and whatever type of over priced products), and a lady was sitting outside of it with their proposals for the upcoming election in November. Stem cell research, consumer privacy act, school funding, property taxes, etc.

I decided to actually have a conversation with this one instead of saying "no thanks" like I usually do when they sit outside of stores. She looked like the type of person who would shop at that Sprouts store or a Whole Foods, and be very liberal. That's why I wanted to talk.

She was quite liberal, but as we continued to talk about the propositions, I made a comment that "truth trumps feelings".

She replied, "Thank you, Trump."

I thought she was being sarcastic, because it is CA afterall.

Nonetheless, kept talking to her, and the conversation turned towards this impeachment nonsense. Turns out, she's liberal. She's quite liberal. But, even she is disgusted with what the Dems have been doing, and she's decided that she's going to support Trump in November. I was so shocked to hear it that I shook her hand and said, "Welcome".

Yes, I know, "anecdotal evidence", but it's becoming clear that even those in this very liberal state, and in this very liberal area, are not all supporting the Dems in this clown show. They are losing support from the ones you would never expect. Of course, I haven't talked to millions of people, it doesn't erase the fact that I'm finding out that there's more support for Trump than I thought, around here. The area I live in now is very liberal.

I have an old Ron Paul sticker still on my car, and someone came up to me one day in the parking lot and said that she liked my sticker, said I was "brave" for having it on my car. Ron Paul? I mean, that's how liberal it is here. I simply replied, "What are they going to do? Preach at me? I'm not worried."

I'm not saying that CA is going to go red, there are enough morons here to keep voting for these twits in the House, but I am saying that more than I ever expected are starting to speak up and turning their backs on these Dems.

So, by all means, left, keep getting furious and making arses of yourselves - people are paying attention, and more than you think are not supporting this tantrum by the Dems.
WOW. A one person anecdote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Old 01-21-2020, 11:41 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Yup. It takes some chutzpah for Dems to block the Republican witnesses in the House, and then complain that the Senate won’t allow them additional Democrat witnesses.
Volker and Morrison were both "Republican" witnesses. They were requested by Nunes. I'm not sure if Jennifer Williams was or not.
Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies