Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2020, 04:15 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,223,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
So a guy with 52 cents in his account strolls in with three checks totalling over $100k and expects the bank to hand over $13k on the spot? Checks over a certain amount almost always have a 2+ business day hold. I have been with my credit union for 34 years and am regularly depositing $5 - $10k checks from my brokerage account and most of the time the CU puts a 2 b/d hold, releasing a portion immediately. Of course, my account does not have only 52 cents in it. If it did, I would fully expect them to hold the full amount.

This guy will forever be suing for discrimination.
more white privilege! <sarcasm>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2020, 04:21 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,223,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
It's funny to me that many white people seem to believe the bold cannot occur.

Many MANY black people hold racist, inferiority views of black Americans in this country. IMO it is our biggest issue as a demographic (I am black and have run into MANY of these people over my lifetime).

FWIW I knew when I first posted on this thread that the young lady in question was black. I'd seen this story in black media outlets already and the way her name was spelled indicated to me that she was black.
ummm, isn't that racist.

Old 01-24-2020, 04:55 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,711,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgh guy View Post
Amazing! Even black people are scared of black people.
It's called racism. The black guy on the left is a racist, not that much different from you other than color. People ask if black people can be racist. Well....there you go. There is an example of it. America programs people to see blacks like that and has programming it for centuries....creating a self fulfilling prophecy. In America, if you have not had counter programming to offset this.....you probably are a racist.

Old 01-24-2020, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Case in point, when it comes to interracial crime between blacks and whites. Blacks commit 90 percent of the crime and whites commit 10 percent of the crime.

But you don't care about the facts, you don't care about the truth. Notice how the interviewer deflected from answering the specific question? Reminds me of many of your posts.
Again....this black guy is no different from you...aside from being black. People say blacks are racist. Yeah.....this guy is an example of that. There are a lot of black people like this.....but not to this extreme. He has gone to this extreme to get paid by white racist who like to use him as a proxy to say what the feel they can't say out of fear of being called a racist. Well.....this guy is a racist and if you believe and think he is speaking the truth.....that means you are too. He is the male version of Candice Owens.

Old 01-24-2020, 05:12 PM

38,644 posts, read 26,389,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Like he said....if it had been a white man.....there is the difference. Black people do not get the benefit of the doubt to the degree whites do.

Today, in my opinion, racism comes out when people feel they have justification as a cover, because no one wants to appear racist to themselves or to others. This has been demonstrated in social experiments where a black person and white person are set up to commit the same seemingly "wrong" act. The black person gets treated a lot differently than the white person for the same act. The white person is given the benefit of the doubt (of not doing anything wrong)....the black person is assumed guilty. Again, the "wrongful" act provides "cover" from the claim of a racist motive. The racism is only exposed when a white person commits a similar...but gets a different reaction. How often do you get the chance to see a white person present the same scenario? Almost NEVER....so you can't see the inherent racism of it.

To be fair, if I as a white person tried to deposit checks that scanned as fraudulent, I have no doubt in my mind that I would speak to police before leaving.

The difference is that I will not be able to sue for discrimination.

Also, a part of the story that is usually left out is the fact that black people commit a highly disproportionate number of serious crimes, to include check fraud.

Remember, behind every stereotype is a group predisposition to reinforcing that stereotype.

Old 01-24-2020, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
To be fair, if I as a white person tried to deposit checks that scanned as fraudulent, I have no doubt in my mind that I would speak to police before leaving.

The difference is that I will not be able to sue for discrimination.

Also, a part of the story that is usually left out is the fact that black people commit a highly disproportionate number of serious crimes, to include check fraud.

Remember, behind every stereotype is a group predisposition to reinforcing that stereotype.
It is not racism to acknowledge or recognize a statistical fact about crime and blacks. I don't care that blacks commit more crime than whites. If you judge me by the behavior of other blacks.....that is racism. Statistics don't give you cover. Saying that blacks commit a higher percentage of crimes than whites is not saying that most black are criminals and commit violence and or bank fraud. If you are judging the majority of blacks by the behavior of a small minority of blacks....that is racism, regardless of what statistics say about blacks committing a higher percentage of crimes that whites.

If the check was valid....then why did it come up void? Why was another bank able to deposit it? Poor people come into large sums of money sometime. They get settlement, win the lottery, etc. Its rare but it does happen. Banks should be prepared for such circumstances. Its like poor people can't have money without been seen as suspicious. To me, there was nothing really strange about his situation.

Old 01-24-2020, 05:51 PM

11,346 posts, read 16,711,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
It is not racism to acknowledge or recognize a statistical fact about crime and blacks. I don't care that blacks commit more crime than whites. If you judge me by the behavior of other blacks.....that is racism. Statistics don't give you cover. Saying that blacks commit a higher percentage of crimes than whites is not saying that most black are criminals and commit violence and or bank fraud. If you are judging the majority of blacks by the behavior of a small minority of blacks....that is racism, regardless of what statistics say about blacks committing a higher percentage of crimes that whites.

If the check was valid....then why did it come up void? Why was another bank able to deposit it? Poor people come into large sums of money sometime. They get settlement, win the lottery, etc. Its rare but it does happen. Banks should be prepared for such circumstances. Its like poor people can't have money without been seen as suspicious. To me, there was nothing really strange about his situation.
Might have been a mis-statement.

They were prob trying the scan the check to be deposited and it rejected, which is very common. This has nothing to do in trying to validate if the check is legit or not.

Old 01-24-2020, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
The point the false race card players are trying to make and failing at, is they have no proof this one incident means blacks can't make it this world and because of this bank teller, blacks have a much harder time succeeding.

That's their crutch. Give one example of racism, which this incident is not, and the false race card players will make blanket statements. As if this bank teller is stopping blacks from finishing high school and working a full time job.
LOL....nobody is trying to say that. You just told everyone what you fear....that if racism is ever acknowledged as a problem that it will gives blacks and liberals justification and an explanation as to why blacks lag whites socioeconomically. Even if an incident like this was reported in the news every day and it was indeed racism, that would not be proof that current racism is keeping black people down. Current racism is not keeping black people down. Its the accrued impact of centuries of racism that blacks have yet to recover from, that accounts for why blacks lag socioeconomically.

Old 01-24-2020, 06:07 PM

7,649 posts, read 4,603,757 times
Back when the banks were closing in the last Recession, I was one of the people that hauled out of Washington Mutual. When I closed the account, I got a ton of cash and walked across the parking lot with it to Bank of America. When rumors started to fly that BAC was bankrupt, I went to BAC, who refused to provide cash money, but would only provide a cashier's check. So, with cashier's check in hand, went to East West Bank, which has a strong following in the Chinese American community here. The country's largest bank had given me the cashier's check for more than $10,000. They would open my account, they would deposit the money, but it had a hold on it for 15 days.

Did they do that because of:
1. Policy
2. Questions about Bank of America
3. Because I'm not a Chinese-American

The man can claim what he wants, but even ACH doesn't clear Federal Reserve same day. What Chase did was spot the balance for him. The article noted the watermark on the check showed void. If that's the case, I'd bet $1 the check presented at the first bank and the check presented at the 2nd bank were not the same. The fact that he had 3 checks ready to cash makes me question the day job of this attorney and client.

xie xie

Old 01-24-2020, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
Back when the banks were closing in the last Recession, I was one of the people that hauled out of Washington Mutual. When I closed the account, I got a ton of cash and walked across the parking lot with it to Bank of America. When rumors started to fly that BAC was bankrupt, I went to BAC, who refused to provide cash money, but would only provide a cashier's check. So, with cashier's check in hand, went to East West Bank, which has a strong following in the Chinese American community here. The country's largest bank had given me the cashier's check for more than $10,000. They would open my account, they would deposit the money, but it had a hold on it for 15 days.

Did they do that because of:
1. Policy
2. Questions about Bank of America
3. Because I'm not a Chinese-American

The man can claim what he wants, but even ACH doesn't clear Federal Reserve same day. What Chase did was spot the balance for him. The article noted the watermark on the check showed void. If that's the case, I'd bet $1 the check presented at the first bank and the check presented at the 2nd bank were not the same. The fact that he had 3 checks ready to cash makes me question the day job of this attorney and client.

xie xie
I have a check. All the checks are VALID. Bank could not determine that they were valid = incompetent bank.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies