Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2020, 10:06 AM

30,267 posts, read 23,751,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post

Working on it now ... I will be working long after I retire; I know this; so the plan is in motion.
At least you have a plan. A lot of people have no plans.

Quote:
That would not be me and I drive sales people crazy. I work, go home and that sums up my life. Once a week I stop along the way, fuel the car and buy food. And no I don't drive across town to pick up an item that isn't local ... I'll do without it. If people did what I did, the market would reset itself.
I'm right there with you. I don't buy a lot of stuff. I realize that "No" is a full and complete sentence, and I don't have that weird characteristic that makes people "feel forced" to pull out their credit cards to buy things they don't really want. (I will never, ever understand that.)

Plus, I move around a lot. When one moves around a lot, one realizes that they actually can get by without a bunch of stuff weighing them down. I can fit everything that I own into the trunk of my car, minus my pets.

Yes, if people would stop consuming so much stuff, it would reset. One of those videos, the girl paid $6 for a Red Bull drink. It was $6 because someone at the shop she went to poured it out of the can into a plastic cup for her, and added a lid and straw. Otherwise, she could have bought a Red Bull at the grocery store for 2/3 less than that. But she "needed" that drink right then and there.

Quote:
I think it's in China that if the sun is out, their house lights are off ... I do what China does. But then I was raised by parents and grandparent, that lived through the Great Depression --- I paid attention.
Well, my parents were insanely frugal...still are. You would think they were on the edge of destitution, but that's not even close to reality. So I was raised not to go out and just buy whatever, whenever. I was raised that I had to earn every thing, and by the time I earned the money (doing extra chores), I usually didn't want the item anymore. Sometimes I still did, but not often. We didn't have "lights off" when it was dark outside, but we didn't stay up all night, either. I remember, when I was young kid in CA, our bedtime was 7:30pm, and there were plenty of nights we went to be when it was still light outside, and neighbor kids were still outside playing. Good times!

Quote:
Life happening does not stop while one socks away money ...
It certainly does not. Not a reason to give up trying to sock that money away, regardless. It can take some time to build it up, and one surely should not stop at a mere $400, and yes, you do sometimes have to dip into it to fix a flat tire so you can keep driving to work to keep earning money, etc. Yeah, I know very well that life doesn't stop. But neither do you. (General "you")

Quote:
At least they are having children, as we are in the middle (globally) of a baby bust. In time that will bite this economy in the buttocks.
In the last decade, I can't even tell you how many articles I've read telling young people (20s) not to have kids. They push the "get a career instead". When I was in my 20s, everyone kept telling me that I would change my mind and want to have kids. Never wanted them, but it had nothing to do with media telling me not to have them, I just don't want to sacrifice that much time. Cause, I see parents with their little kids - just watching them makes me feel exhausted.

But for some reason, our media has been really pushing the idea of not having kids. What I'd like to know is why are they pushing that?

Quote:
One can not prove that is what they are doing ... all this argument has is speculation at best.
I'm not saying everyone is doing it, I am saying a whole lot of people are. That's very much reality, not "speculation". You just have to observe. I see a lot because I'm in stores and restaurants a lot - picking up for other people. The amount that some people spend on items that just aren't necessary, is mind blowing. I don't mean a meal out every so often, I'm mainly talking about the grocery shopping ones that I do. They definitely blow a lot of money on nonsense. The very fact that I'm doing it for them is blowing money on nonsense. It would cost them a lot less if they just did it themselves. But, whatever, it's extra money for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2020, 10:16 AM

30,267 posts, read 23,751,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
The so called $1000.00 phone is the only life line poor people have to a better life. They'er not really phones anymore. Phone companies know that you cant lead a productive life with out one so they let you buy them on time. You can apply for a job or get an email from your boss, pay your bills, get directions to an interview or receive money on these " phones." I pay my kids phone bills until they are financial self sufficient so they can stay in the loop.

One of my older relatives still uses a land line and doesn't have an email and is always upset because he is out of the loop, in money making opportunities, on every meet up and family event. Always complains no one "called " him back.
If they are that poor, they get a free cell phone.

If they don't qualify for a free cell phone, they get a cheap one and pay as you go. There is absolutely no need for a $1000 phone. They don't need to be on an overpriced contract.

It's like some of you have never been poor, but want to tell everyone else what it's like to be poor.

Old 01-28-2020, 10:27 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,177,123 times
Quote:
The so called $1000.00 phone is the only life line poor people have to a better life.
No, it is not.

10s of Millions of people had better lives long before smart-phones existed.

You don't need a smart-phone, but you have been conditioned in classic Pavlovian-style to think you do.

You can apply for jobs on-line for free at your local library and all libraries are on bus-lines, so it's not like they can't get there.

There are free federal, State, county and municipal offices that provide assistance in getting a job, and they're all on bus-lines, too. They will write your resume for you, you can apply online for jobs there, they coach you on interview techniques, etc etc etc.

All you're doing is making an excuses.

I can go into any household in the US and within 6 months, they'll have $400 sitting in the bank for an emergency.

Even if their household income is only $1,000/month, they'll have $400 in the bank within 6 months.

How long will it last?

Not long.

That $400 will be burning a hole in their pocket so badly they'll run right out and blow it all.

These people don't have $400 in the bank for an emergency, yet they have $800 in butt-ugly tattoos.

It's a matter of priority. If you want to save $400, you will, and if you don't or don't know how, you won't.

Old 01-28-2020, 11:33 AM

12,964 posts, read 13,684,417 times
I love it when wealthy conservatives are the to go to authority on how to be poor. Yep they know all the ins and outs. I bet they don't know how you can get your toilet paper free from public bathrooms.

Old 01-28-2020, 11:49 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times
Not sure where the idea came from that all poor are running around with $1000 iPhones. Apple had to cut the $1000 phone orders because they were not selling, while the cheaper models were selling, not to mention Samsung sells more than iPhones. Well, I guess we do know where the idea came from, - it was invented to support an argument.

Old 01-28-2020, 11:52 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times
Quote:
I love it when wealthy conservatives are the to go to authority on how to be poor. Yep they know all the ins and outs.
Nothing gets certain people riled up like the site of a 'low class looking' person sitting in a restaurant like Applebee's with the cellphone in their hand. They do not believe such people deserve such 'luxuries', especially cell phones which they assume is a brand new $1000 iphone.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 01-28-2020 at 12:10 PM..

Old 01-28-2020, 12:06 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,510,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBurgh View Post
Come 'on man. my Android smart phone cost $99 and it does more than needed
Yup. I bought a Samsung Galaxy for $79 (or was it $69?) that not only included the smart phone itself with full internet access, but also came with a year's worth of service. There is no excuse in the world for "poor people" or those otherwise not having $400 in savings to buy an iPhone costing several hundred dollars, and then another $50 or whatever for the monthly rate.

Old 01-28-2020, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Nothing gets the riled up like the site of a 'low class looking' person sitting in a restaurant like Applebee's with the cellphone in their hand. They do not believe such people deserve such 'luxuries'.
YOU are the only one who keeps using the phrase "low class looking person". (Or the Applebee's stuff. Whoever said that?) Conservatives and moderates here who believe people should take some modicum of personal responsibility have simply pointed out people who have not been able to put away $400 for an emergency should NOT buy late-model Iphones or go out to Morton's steakhouse.

Old 01-28-2020, 12:11 PM

Quote:
I love it when wealthy conservatives are the to go to authority on how to be poor. Yep they know all the ins and outs. I bet they don't know how you can get your toilet paper free from public bathrooms.
This thread didn't start about being about "the poor," although I know that liberals zoom in on them since they see them are more deserving of defense than middle earners. The point is that a middle earner with a full time job earning $60,000 or $70,000 should NOT go on a cruise, buy a designer pet, or throw out $1000 on an iPhone when they need to borrow $400 for an emergency since they don't have any money saved.

Why are lefties so unwilling to acknowledge that people without savings can be in that position through their own poor choices? Does EVERYTHING have to be other people's fault?

Old 01-28-2020, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Not sure where the idea came from that all poor are running around with $1000 iPhones. Apple had to cut the $1000 phone orders because they were not selling, while the cheaper models were selling, not to mention Samsung sells more than iPhones. Well, I guess we do know where the idea came from, - it was invented to support an argument.
Nobody said "all poor." Leftists always have to go to the (false) extreme to make their point. Besides, this thread isn't about poor people at all. It's about the fact that many people don't have $400 in the bank because they spend every last cent on unnecessary items, including, in many cases, a late-model iPhone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies