Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2020, 11:59 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,600,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
And it's 100% self-inflicted.

A good economy does not change a person's behavior patterns, just like a bad economy does not change a person's behavior patterns.

People who spend recklessly and do stupid things financially do those things regardless of how good or bad the economy is.

Giving irresponsible people more money does not make them responsible. It just makes them that much more irresponsible.

Those people who don't have $400 for an emergency will never have $400 for an emergency and they never had $400 for an emergency in their entire lives and never will, because they are irresponsible and their priorities in life are totally whacked.
I had it ... I had 20 grand one time and 10 grand another time and I probably will never see that money again ... but okay with your analysis from what ever place it comes from ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2020, 03:11 PM

9,109 posts, read 6,327,077 times
Here is the most important sentence in the article.

Quote:
Overall, the number of people who said they are able to handle unexpected expenses is on the rise since the Federal Reserve began the survey in 2013.

Old 01-26-2020, 03:13 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,830,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post

Quote:
Overall, the number of people who said they are able to handle unexpected expenses is on the rise since the Federal Reserve began the survey in 2013.
Our population is on the rise in numbers also.

Old 01-26-2020, 03:17 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I am not going to bother posting the sources again, but there are numerous valid sources showing that the PERCENTAGE of people with savings has increased significantly over the past few years.

Old 01-26-2020, 04:33 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,941,887 times
Born in 1948 I am a boomer and something I don't understand is how the millennial group, and those that identify with them, hold to the belief we had it so easy.

I got drafted into the army shortly after high school in 1968 which ended with me spending a year in Vietnam from 1968 to 1969.

Made the mistake of attempting college, San Jose State, immediately out of the army and it didn't work out for me. I hated it.

Worked in a print shop for one year after the army at near minimum wage. I remember having trouble coming up with my $105 rent for my Mountain View studio apartment. It was tough.

Spent a year traveling and I do remember more than once I was homeless living out of my Volkswagen Beetle with all my worldly goods. Worst time was when I was trapped in downtown Sacramento without gasoline and not a single penny to my name. Not one penny but I didn't beg. Was in that state for nearly a week, I didn't eat at all, before a bay area friend came and rescued me. I stayed at his place for a month getting a job as a bartender and finding a roommate in a fleabag invested dump. It was horrible.

For two years I was broke seldom having $10 to my name.

I came down with a case of viral pneumonia and it caused me to break the law.... I felt so sick and bad I checked into a motel for two nights and skipped out without paying the bill. I was really sick ended up in an emergency room and never paid that bill either. I know, in the early 1970's they did not require credit cards and this hotel was in Santa Clara.

Nearly 50 years, statute of limitations has passed, but if I could remember the name of the hotel I would pay my bill.... it is the only time in my adult life I ever stole anything and it haunts me.

The very idea of moving back home never occurred to me.

Worked for nearly a year at a factory grinding the insides of toilets. Yes, for nearly a year I spend my time with my head in a toilet. Toilets were aluminum and manufactured for prisons and jails. The were cast and my job was to grind down the aluminum burrs.... talk a bout a job that sucked.

It wasn't great money but it was enough to live on but it was still the bay area. Hayward matter of fact.

Went through flight school earning my flight instructors certificate and when I got my first flying job I didn't have any money and nowhere to live. The airport manager took pity on me allowing me to sleep in the boiler room and I ain't kidding. Pipes, the boiler and valves... that was my bedroom but at least it was warm. I did that for two months.... had to leave at 6:00 am, go to the YMCA to take a shower returning to the airport at 7:30 as if I was coming from home. People knew I was there which was fine as long as I kept a very low key about it.

The time of my life between 18 and 25 was not a bed of roses but you learn from it. I learned to never, ever be poor again and I have always had cash available. Cash is king.

Old 01-26-2020, 04:37 PM

35,084 posts, read 17,043,458 times
Quote:
And this is what the Republicans call a great economy?

Someone has been fooling the people.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/10-america...ry?id=63253846
It's not the economy, stupid. It's the stupid consumers who consider their plastic (or Apple or Samsung-pay) part of their available spending resources, not just a medium of exchange. Pure stupidity.

Old 01-26-2020, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Quote:
Quote:
If people can not afford a $400 unexpected expense, it makes sense there would be fewer children.

US population growth is the lowest it's been since 1918. Here's why that's terrible news for the economy.

For the u.s. to be a develop country ... it is strange to see it having the problems that normally come up in undeveloped countries.

Old 01-26-2020, 05:41 PM

8,895 posts, read 5,376,871 times
I don't suppose the 40% who don't have this $400 are in any way responsible for this situation?

Old 01-26-2020, 06:11 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,173,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
And it's 100% self-inflicted.

A good economy does not change a person's behavior patterns, just like a bad economy does not change a person's behavior patterns.

People who spend recklessly and do stupid things financially do those things regardless of how good or bad the economy is.

Giving irresponsible people more money does not make them responsible. It just makes them that much more irresponsible.

Those people who don't have $400 for an emergency will never have $400 for an emergency and they never had $400 for an emergency in their entire lives and never will, because they are irresponsible and their priorities in life are totally whacked.
There are a lot of people who think that poor people don't have agency in their lives and that they aren't able to make choices for themselves.

While some people just lack the brains to plan ahead, there are a large number of people who just refuse to plan ahead. They know that they should but they just won't for whatever reason. Then those same people will turn around and blame someone else for what they inflicted on themselves.

Old 01-26-2020, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
There are a lot of people who think that poor people don't have agency in their lives and that they aren't able to make choices for themselves.

While some people just lack the brains to plan ahead, there are a large number of people who just refuse to plan ahead. They know that they should but they just won't for whatever reason. Then those same people will turn around and blame someone else for what they inflicted on themselves.
That would be the (u.s. government) American people, because they can't see what is ahead, The Fourth Industrial Revolution, but that's okay, the poor people and the immigrant will both still be around to be used as the scapegoat for what ails the people who have been displaced by technology.

"The result of all this is societal transformation at a global scale. By affecting the incentives, rules, and norms of economic life, it transforms how we communicate, learn, entertain ourselves, and relate to one another and how we understand ourselves as human beings."

I don't hold out too much hope that there will be any positive transformation going on ... just ssdd, rinse and repeat. One-day may be, people just might grow up. It could happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies