Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2020, 04:32 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times

Advertisements

and whoever said "prove it" to another poster's statement that wages were increasing faster for the lower income ...

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/13/work...ing-wages.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2020, 04:33 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,536,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
And this is what the Republicans call a great economy?

Someone has been fooling the people.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/10-america...ry?id=63253846
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
This has been true since forever regardless of party.
Agreed no matter what party is in office this is nothing new.

Old 01-24-2020, 04:41 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,727,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
if you believe that there are only 2 types, and they're both on the extreme. Sure.
Well, it's a cartoon. They can't draw out every person's situation.

I wouldn't really call either of those situations extreme, though. I grew up in a pretty income-diverse city and I can think of people who were in both types of homes. I was somewhere in the middle. Fairly poor and sometimes neglected, but my parents had high expectations of us and both loved to read, so they passed that on to me and my siblings. I had friends in better and worse situations.

I can think of one friend in particular who grew up in an affluent family, went on nice vacations every year, had her college paid for in total by her parents (no loans and no need to work during school), and then periodically lived with her parents as needed/desired until she was in her early 30s... and I've seen her post things about the poor people just being lazy. It's not an uncommon pattern among those who grow up not realizing all of the opportunities and privileges they have that others do not.

Old 01-24-2020, 05:01 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,788,932 times
I have a hard time believing this stat. They may be looking only at checking accounts. Right now I have $347 in my checking account.. I don't keep any money there. Most is in savings/investments. I move money out of checking as soon as possible. So according to this stat I am also included because I am $53 short LOL! I also don't have money in my wallet, I have 3 x $20 bills that is it... I pay for 99% of my transactions electronically and I absolutely detest cash. That $60 in my wallet I have not even used in months.

Old 01-24-2020, 05:02 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,727,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
I have a hard time believing this stat. They may be looking only at checking accounts. Right now I have $347 in my checking account.. I don't keep any money there. Most is in savings/investments. I move money out of checking as soon as possible. So according to this stat I am also included LOL!
They aren't looking at anyone's checking account; this was self-reported. I would guess that most people don't keep a ton of money in their checking accounts... we keep a buffer of a couple hundred over and above our bills and expenses. If we need something urgent/unexpected, we move it from our savings. I'm pretty sure that's normal.

Old 01-24-2020, 05:57 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,810,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
This all says a lot about YOU.

Where I live, companies are having to steal people and give them big money but you have to be worth something and have skills to offer.

Have you neglected building your skills, your education, your worth to a company? Can't blame others for these problems.

I mean I'm not going to argue with you that it says a lot about me. It says about how much I suck at life. I mean I still don't have my driver's license (I know that limits my job search but I don't apply for jobs that require this and I don't tell them I don't have it) but it's not for lack of trying.

I question why I was born a lot but I try to pass judgement on whether I am worth anything. The employers have indicated to me that I'm trash by treating me like I am. But I do work harder than a lot of people (my coworkers are always like don't quit you show up) and I'm very observant. I'm good at remembering things like artists and song titles so my long term memory is pretty great. Though my short term memory completely sucks. I don't do any drugs. I may have animals but I don't have any children..not that I'm saying people with children are bad workers but you know it makes it less likely for me to not be able to come to work. I'm honest maybe sometimes too honest but at least you know what you're getting with me and can trust me not to steal or take advantage of you

What am I building? I've tried getting better at lying because I know that's how you get a job but it never sits right with me. I can't build a computer. Except I should blame others more often if I'm going to blame anyone. If I had a book of regrets, it would probably be the size of the Harry Potter series.

It's not my fault employers don't want anything to do with me and even if it is as Hannah Montana says everybody makes mistakes everybody has those days. Nobody tries harder to get a better job than I do. I try so hard to be what they want. I try to lie and/or embellish my resume because that's what the "normie" society wants. I also try just being myself and do my best in telling them what I am good at. When I did that job interview online for AT&T, I kept messing up so I rerecorded until it sounded perfectly formed but still not robotic. I must have spent like at least an hour before I submitted the videos for them to see. This tarot card reader that has been accurate about a lot said that employers want me to fight for the job. I really see that. I am introverted and reserved so I try to show it a little bit instead of just applying and doing nothing after that but the moment I do it scares the crap out of them. When I want the job I want it so bad. So I just don't know how they want me to fight because me fighting is I want it more than anything in the world right now you MUST give it to me or my life is over.

If they just told me exactly what makes them hesitant for sure I wouldn't be in this predicament because while it's likely the fact that I don't fight for this job I can't be 100 percent sure and even then you need to tell me how to fight for it. The few times I have an interview I ask them what are your concerns they always give the same base answer you don't have enough experience. WTF why did you even bother giving me an interview if I didn't have enough experience. I mean I know the industry and a lot of times that's what job ads say but I apply to ones that don't say X years is a requirement. If that is the case how am I supposed to get experience? There is no entry level anymore.
I have a job and yet it's still not enough for them. I still rarely get interviews.
They need to be honest and tell me why they are not hiring me because if you don't tell me I can't do anything about it. I'm forever in a loop of "I'm not getting hired why do I even bother applying. I'll be lucky to even get an interview." *didn't get any response back or got ghosted after an interview* "whatever if that's the way they want it I won't bother them" *weeks go by without a response* "but people keep telling me I should show interest *asks about status* *other person gives generic answer about how they're reviewing applications and they'll contact me*

Lately I wouldn't doubt it's because I'm applying out of state but why can't the employer themselves tell me that? Also it's so stupid because how am I supposed to move to a place if I don't get a new job?

I know I could do the jobs I applied for if only they let me. I just suck at proving myself and there's a lot of jobs I can't apply for so in conclusion that's why I'm not worth anything..to myself at least. But I would be worth something if other employers gave me a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Maybe you failed to notice, but those are the only kinds of TVs manufactured. You can't even buy a CRT TV in a pawn shop, and it wouldn't pick up digital signals if you could. They can be bought for less than $100 new. I saw a 32" for $24 in a pawn shop.

Sometimes people probably do end up buying TVs that they can't really afford but I'm with you. Not only are those the only televisions available anymore maybe they got them as a gift. People probably see my TV and think how did you afford that? It was given to me.

Last edited by Nickchick; 01-24-2020 at 06:44 PM..

Old 01-24-2020, 06:26 PM

43,098 posts, read 18,269,535 times
Quote:
I have a hard time believing this stat. They may be looking only at checking accounts. Right now I have $347 in my checking account.. I don't keep any money there. Most is in savings/investments. I move money out of checking as soon as possible. So according to this stat I am also included because I am $53 short LOL! I also don't have money in my wallet, I have 3 x $20 bills that is it... I pay for 99% of my transactions electronically and I absolutely detest cash. That $60 in my wallet I have not even used in months.
Why not try reading the report so you can get the facts on how the Fed got that stat instead of assuming.
FWIW that stat was 47% back in 2014 and it's come down to 40% in 2018. That is good news.

Old 01-24-2020, 06:43 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:
I do volunteer work in a very wealthy county in Florida. The "are not making it" percentage (ALICE index from United Way) tends to be in the 45 to 47%. That goes pretty much statewide - 22 million population.

Not making it means just that. It means they can't pay the bill without perhaps making a minimum payment on the CC. It means when ANY little thing happens, like a traffic ticket or a health incident they are knocked flat and when bigger things happen they are in the gutter.

When I say that villages in Costa Rica and Mexico have MUCH nicer digs (for regular people) than many of the people I deliver to...I mean it. Regular small suburban lots with the house having 3 apartments in it (converted garage and maybe even a converted laundry room) AND a shed or two or a trailer in the rear yard.

The Garden Shed I had delivered at home beats many of these abodes.

Oh, you can buy a 5 million dollar condo tho.

Just because you are living in a bubble doesn't mean everyone is like that. I was raised upwardly mobile and also never saw this stuff. So I understand.

"ON February 6, 2019, the United Ways of Florida’s central west coast (Citrus, DeSoto, Hardee, Hernando, Highlands, Hillsborough, Manatee, Pasco, Pinellas, Polk and Sarasota counties) announced 43% of household in the region struggle to pay for basic needs such as housing, child care, food, transportation, health care, and technology.

Statewide 46% of households face the same financial challenges"

Believe me - it's not about transferring money from their brokerage to their checking.

To use round numbers 1/2 of Americans aren't making it.

Old 01-24-2020, 06:50 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Why not try reading the report so you can get the facts on how the Fed got that stat instead of assuming.
FWIW that stat was 47% back in 2014 and it's come down to 40% in 2018. That is good news.
The ALICE stat in Florida has actually been rising in a lot of counties since 2014-2015....which is troubling considering that the "zero" probably included the effect of the Great Recession.

To put it another way the low minimum Wage in Florida hurts people more as time goes on.

"Combined, 2018 ALICE and poverty households, account for 47 percent of households in Marion County, an increase from 44 percent in 2014."

Let's not play pretend being as this stuff has been with us a LONG time. The Great Recession dragged whatever possibilities there were back to zero

Old 01-24-2020, 06:56 PM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times
I confess I get a little tired of reading these kinds of threads. Same arguments from the same people (including myself!), with the haves blaming the have-nots for their troubles (justifiably so in many cases), and many people seeming to gloat and brag about how much savings they have.

My husband I have been up and down financially, and we did not start to save until we were well into our 30's, and then we went from a net worth of almost $150k to a net worth of negative $45k in 2009-10 when we were in our 50's, due to some very bad luck and our own poor choices. We have more than recouped the money since then, mainly due to house equity and my husband beginning to earn a lot more money than he ever had before, and the kids leaving home. If not for that, we could very well still be struggling! So I am not going to put down most people for not having a lot of savings. I know from personal experience that most middle-to-upper income people could be poor, too, if not for a combination of intelligence, hard work, good choices, and LUCK.

But, having said that, I know that it is possible to work 40 hours at a minimum wage job and still have a healthy existence -- although certainly not luxurious existence if one is willing to take the bus, walk or bike to work*, and has a roommate making an equal income -- or at least it was possible in 2012-13. However, imo, most people would rather spend at least $100 a month on entertainment, convenience food, booze, cigarettes, drugs and/or tattoos instead of saving that money. (If my husband and I had made those choices after we lost our home instead of saving almost every dollar we could and me working 60 hours a week until we could pay off our debts and afford a fixer-upper home, we would now be poor, too -- no doubt about it!)

*And not having any kids! In my opinion, the No. 1 reason why so many people under the age of 45 or so are poor is because they had kids before they could afford to have kids without government assistance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies