Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2020, 06:56 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,685,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
and whoever said "prove it" to another poster's statement that wages were increasing faster for the lower income ...

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/13/work...ing-wages.html
A 5% increase for an ABOVE min. wage worker here in Florida means $10.50 an hour instead of $10.....

A 3% increase for a household making 200K means $6,000 dollars more.

Figures lie and liars figure. Wages against productivity have went nowhere for about 40 years - productivity has tripled and wages have only increased slightly (adjusted)...even worse when the needed expenses like health care are figured in.

Yes, if that $8 an hour worker in Florida or Texas is now making $10 that's a massive percentage increase. But it's not making a bit of difference, really, when the chit hits the fan.

Kudos to the places going for $15 an hour - that, compared to the $10, does make a difference. Someone working 45 hours a week makes $225 more, enough to actually make a vast difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2020, 06:58 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,229,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
I mean I'm not going to argue with you that it says a lot about me. It says about how much I suck at life. I mean I still don't have my driver's license (I know that limits my job search but I don't apply for jobs that require this and I don't tell them I don't have it) but it's not for lack of trying.

I question why I was born a lot but I try to pass judgement on whether I am worth anything. The employers have indicated to me that I'm trash by treating me like I am. But I do work harder than a lot of people (my coworkers are always like don't quit you show up) and I'm very observant. I'm good at remembering things like artists and song titles so my long term memory is pretty great. Though my short term memory completely sucks. I don't do any drugs. I may have animals but I don't have any children..not that I'm saying people with children are bad workers but you know it makes it less likely for me to not be able to come to work. I'm honest maybe sometimes too honest but at least you know what you're getting with me and can trust me not to steal or take advantage of you

What am I building? I've tried getting better at lying because I know that's how you get a job but it never sits right with me. I can't build a computer. Except I should blame others more often if I'm going to blame anyone. If I had a book of regrets, it would probably be the size of the Harry Potter series.

It's not my fault employers don't want anything to do with me and even if it is as Hannah Montana says everybody makes mistakes everybody has those days. Nobody tries harder to get a better job than I do. I try so hard to be what they want. I try to lie and/or embellish my resume because that's what the "normie" society wants. I also try just being myself and do my best in telling them what I am good at. When I did that job interview online for AT&T, I kept messing up so I rerecorded until it sounded perfectly formed but still not robotic. I must have spent like at least an hour before I submitted the videos for them to see. This tarot card reader that has been accurate about a lot said that employers want me to fight for the job. I really see that. I am introverted and reserved so I try to show it a little bit instead of just applying and doing nothing after that but the moment I do it scares the crap out of them. When I want the job I want it so bad. So I just don't know how they want me to fight because me fighting is I want it more than anything in the world right now you MUST give it to me or my life is over.

If they just told me exactly what makes them hesitant for sure I wouldn't be in this predicament because while it's likely the fact that I don't fight for this job I can't be 100 percent sure and even then you need to tell me how to fight for it. The few times I have an interview I ask them what are your concerns they always give the same base answer you don't have enough experience. WTF why did you even bother giving me an interview if I didn't have enough experience. I mean I know the industry and a lot of times that's what job ads say but I apply to ones that don't say X years is a requirement. If that is the case how am I supposed to get experience? There is no entry level anymore.
I have a job and yet it's still not enough for them. I still rarely get interviews.
They need to be honest and tell me why they are not hiring me because if you don't tell me I can't do anything about it. I'm forever in a loop of "I'm not getting hired why do I even bother applying. I'll be lucky to even get an interview." *didn't get any response back or got ghosted after an interview* "whatever if that's the way they want it I won't bother them" *weeks go by without a response* "but people keep telling me I should show interest *asks about status* *other person gives generic answer about how they're reviewing applications and they'll contact me*

Lately I wouldn't doubt it's because I'm applying out of state but why can't the employer themselves tell me that? Also it's so stupid because how am I supposed to move to a place if I don't get a new job?

I know I could do the jobs I applied for if only they let me. I just suck at proving myself and there's a lot of jobs I can't apply for so in conclusion that's why I'm not worth anything..to myself at least. But I would be worth something if other employers gave me a chance.
the poster that you responded to was responding to a somewhat unfollowable line of thinking that you posted ... the whole line of "if someone gave me a house"

I can't really follow this post above of yours, so I'll ask -

Do you have some limiting physical or mental condition that makes it hard for you to advance? What are your 3 greatest strengths and weaknesses? Do the types of jobs you've been interviewing for match your personality (ie, you say you're introverted)?

Old 01-24-2020, 07:01 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,382,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Better the economy gets the more rent rises. Vicious cycle if you're poor.
Rent increases normally lag wage increases - not the other way around.

Old 01-24-2020, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
But, having said that, I know that it is possible to work 40 hours at a minimum wage job and still have a healthy existence -- although certainly not luxurious existence if one is willing to take the bus, walk or bike to work, and has a roommate making an equal income -- or at least it was possible in 2012-13. However, imo, most people would rather spend at least $100 a month on entertainment, convenience food, booze, cigarettes, drugs and/or tattoos instead of saving that money. (If my husband and I had made those choices after we lost our home instead of saving almost every dollar we could and me working 60 hours a week until we could pay off our debts and afford a fixer-upper home, we would now be poor, too -- no doubt about it!)
This is exactly what Mnuchkin and the rest of the elite want you to think and say.

After all, they made their billions the hard way..they were betting on the other side of those "poor decisions" you made (Mnuckin was a foreclosure King and also drove Sears into the ground among other things).

But they throw out these narratives that if one doesn't work themselves up after being knocked down (by Wall Street), then they are not worthy.

One of the things you don't seem to mention - and this is reality - is that if you and I and others bought 50 lbs bags of Pinto Beans and Rice and rode our used bikes everywhere the US economy would grind to a halt. How would the military industrial complex get funded? Where would the 11K per person per year for our capitalist health care system come from? Who would pay for your 12K per year per kid (public school) tab? And so on and so on.

So the myth of simple living is just that...when we speak about Macro issues. Neither you or I or the 1/2 of Americans not doing well created the Game or wrote the Rules. And, yes, some people can drop out....but only a very few.

I speak as one who did buy those 50LB bags of Rice and Beans and, in fact, the wife and I lived on 3rd world budget for 3 years of our early life ($1 per day per person).

Try that one.

But if people did it the USA as we know it would be history. We'd be living in tents and huts.

Old 01-24-2020, 07:05 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,229,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
43% of household in the region struggle to pay for basic needs such as housing, child care, food, transportation, health care, and technology.

Statewide 46% of households face the same financial challenges"

Believe me - it's not about transferring money from their brokerage to their checking.

To use round numbers 1/2 of Americans aren't making it.
it's not that they aren't making it. It's that they aren't getting ahead.

So what is the easiest and fastest way to put more money at their disposal right now? Work a second job.

Old 01-24-2020, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
Rent increases normally lag wage increases - not the other way around.
Are you saying every figure and chart here - on an apartment site - are wrong?
https://www.apartmentlist.com/renton...th-since-1960/

"Rents increased by 12% from 2000-2010, but median income fell by 7%"
"the share of cost-burdened renters nationwide more than doubled, from 24% in 1960 to 49% in 2014."

Old 01-24-2020, 07:10 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,382,615 times
Quote:
A 5% increase for an ABOVE min. wage worker here in Florida means $10.50 an hour instead of $10.....

A 3% increase
for a household making 200K means $6,000 dollars more.

Figures lie and liars figure. Wages against productivity have went nowhere for about 40 years - productivity has tripled and wages have only increased slightly (adjusted)...even worse when the needed expenses like health care are figured in.

Yes, if that $8 an hour worker in Florida or Texas is now making $10 that's a massive percentage increase. But it's not making a bit of difference, really, when the chit hits the fan.

Kudos to the places going for $15 an hour - that, compared to the $10, does make a difference. Someone working 45 hours a week makes $225 more, enough to actually make a vast difference.
So compare an hour figure with a year figure to make it seem bigger and then use a $10 to $15 (an increase of 50%) to say that is good.

It really sounds like you are guilty of using figures to color the situation - you know, your statement "Figures lie and liars figure."

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
it's not that they aren't making it. It's that they aren't getting ahead.

So what is the easiest and fastest way to put more money at their disposal right now? Work a second job.
Again, exactly what Mr. Mnuchkin and his cronies want you to do.

I remember the old days when they said the future was going to be good - that we'd need to work less for more due to automation and efficiency.

Now all you need to do is work more jobs......

19,815 posts, read 9,376,760 times
Quote:
This is exactly what Mnuchkin and the rest of the elite want you to think and say.

I speak as one who did buy those 50LB bags of Rice and Beans and, in fact, the wife and I lived on 3rd world budget for 3 years of our early life ($1 per day per person).

Try that one.

But if people did it the USA as we know it would be history. We'd be living in tents and huts.
Well, the reason I know it is possible to live on a minimum wage existence under the conditions I listed is because I experienced that with my son when he was 19.

Now, of course, if he had had a child to support or insisted on living in an apartment on his own, etc., etc., etc. -- then I willingly admit that no, he couldn't live working 40 hours a week at minimum wage.

And, I also admit that this was for a limited time in Denver and he was healthy, which had a great deal to do with it. I don't know that if he had lived somewhere else and was not healthy, then maybe it would not have been possible. I also admit that if he had gone on living that way (he died under unresolved circumstances), then maybe he would not have been able to continue in that life -- and I certainly would have hoped that he would have gone to college and/or developed skills that would have paid him much more than minimum wage!

Old 01-24-2020, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
So compare an hour figure with a year figure to make is seem bigger and then use $10 to $15 (an increase of 50%) to say that is good.

It really sounds like you are using figures to lie - you know, your statement "Figures lie and liars figure."
Uh, $225. if the weekly increase.

A 10 to 10.50 (5%) increase in a low wage state means $20 more in the weekly check.

Does that help? Which would you rather have - $20 more a week or $200?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies