Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2020, 10:35 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,812,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post

Do you have some limiting physical or mental condition that makes it hard for you to advance? What are your 3 greatest strengths and weaknesses? Do the types of jobs you've been interviewing for match your personality (ie, you say you're introverted)?

My PTSD and depression is the biggest challenge in my success specifically my PTSD I'm sure. I also have tendonitis so that keeps me from manual labor..although I'm not trying to go into manual labor I've just considered it because I know it pays a lot.
It's not a condition because that implies it's a disease but it is difficult for me to advance in this society when I am neuorodivergent.
I struggled with this question because it's difficult for me to rate so I would say a few of my greatest strengths are integrity, being unbiased and having a great attention to detail. Coming up with the weaknesses was surprisingly more difficult for someone as self critical as me. I think it is because they all tie into one big one when I really think about it. I have poor spatial reasoning, "search for words" when speaking verbally at times and a bad short term memory. Well actually I'm not sure how the spatial reasoning connects but something tells me it does too. This has to do with thinking deeply. All these thoughts come at me at once and filtering can be difficult for me especially in the moment. I know this isn't always a bad thing because it's good to see all sides of things..it's what helps me be as I say unbiased and having a great attention to detail. I just have a hard time harnessing it so it doesn't cause my short term memory to be so bad, be a better verbal speaker and maybe reason better spatially. This is also probably where my neurodivergence comes in. If I could just harness this it would really help me to stand out in a good way. Also the PTSD might be making it worse. I am not sure about all of it but considering the fact that my short term memory was better before my PTSD then it's probably a factor.

On paper they're a horrible fit but I mean retail is pretty much all you can get that isn't supposed to require experience so I look for work at home jobs/data entry sort of jobs but I can't even find any that I can apply to. There was a recruiter that told me my data entry needs work. I can type words but random letters and numbers take me longer to be accurate with and practice does not seem to make perfect here. I think I'd be better for those kinds of jobs too (if it wasn't for the speed of random keys) but I know I can work at certain retail stores at least for a while and those stores are far better for me than what I do now. My current job has too much downtime in the sense that it doesn't stimulate me intellectually so it's the worst retail position for me because all I do is focus on how much I'm socially drained. If it's something that interests me..say computers/electronics I don't have to think about my social battery so much. Obama is an introvert. I'm sure I'm more introverted than him but I know it's going to be better for me than what I'm doing now. I suppose those other retail stores have a harder time wanting to hire me because of my verbal speaking (I don't know because again they usually don't tell me) I can see how that would be an issue but interviews are more likely to trip up my verbal speech because I'm all on my own so my searching for words tend to come out more when I'm nervous. I don't think it would be a problem on the job because a) they train you b) I do tend to rehearse conversations so I could probably do that with customer inquiries. Of course I can't always predict what they are going to ask but I would have a good idea c) interviews are more about me because again it comes out more when I'm nervous and it probably doesn't have to be perfect if I was talking to a customer..it just has to have enough coherence.

I hope I filtered well here. My thoughts feel disorganized.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2020, 10:43 PM

8,244 posts, read 3,499,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
Failed to notice? I do believe you have totally missed the point! Someone who is supposedly "poor" and getting government help has 2 to 3 televisions plus a nice car sitting out in the parking lot. It is sitting in the parking lot because they don't have (or want) a job! Our "poor," in nearly all cases, are not really poor. Spend some time in 3rd world countries ( I have) and you will see exactly what I mean.
How are they making the payments if they don't have a job? It wouldn't be sitting out there anymore because it would be repoed for nonpayment.

Old 01-24-2020, 11:32 PM

8,244 posts, read 3,499,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
"nobody" chooses to become disabled and unable to work. I don't believe anybody begrudges helping the truly disabled.

Nobody chooses to have a chronic medical condition that costs them $1,000's more annually than healthy people.

There are exceptions to all conditions. 40% isn't a sum of the exceptions. It's an indication of bad habits and choices in the vast majority of the 40%.
I've been attacked and belittled my whole life because of my health problems. I've had people ask why they should have their taxes pay for my medical care. Yes, people do attack and begrudges people who are condemned to live in an unhealthy body. I've even been verbally attacked by my former doctors for being too sick to work. I've almost died multiple times over my life because a doctor refused to treat me or refer me for treatment.

I ended up having to have my uterus cut out back in 2004. It was prolapsed and hanging out of my body. I was bleeding to death. I actually had nurses mock me when I was crying out in pain. I had some doctors tell me to take a midol. They all refused to examine me. I had one doctor say he couldn't examine me until I stopped bleeding. Nothing I took helped the pain. I was in so much pain prior to the surgery that after I had the hysterectomy, a major surgery, I felt like I had a super pain medicine even though I still wasn't being given anything for the pain. I lived in that pain for many years. I often want to hunt down all those doctors and nurses that did that to me and cut their uteruses and have them hang out of their bodies and ask them "do you believe I was in pain now?" I only lived because I happened to get a nurse in another town to schedule me and that doctor saved me. At first he was demanding to know why I went so long without seeking medical treatment, and I told him I had and the trouble I was having getting help. Since the primary care doctor I had refused to refer me to an obgyn, Medicaid was refusing to pay for any of this medical care. The doctor patted me and told me not to worry about the money. I never saw one bill. He paid for the hysterectomy and an extra night in the hospital. It didn't stop people from being mad when hearing I had a hysterectomy and assume that their tax dollars went to pay for it.

I had lost so much blood for so long that even after the surgery and even after I stopped bleeding it took over a year for me to regain some strength, and it did unknown damage to my body. Afterall, blood is what carries our nutrients. My teeth rotted in my mouth during that time, even though I was brushing them, because of the constant blood loss. The doctor that saved me was shocked I was still alive. My teeth constantly hurt all the time and break easy. Dentist wanted me to have them pulled at one point and get dentures, but I learned that Medicaid wouldn't pay for the dentures and I had no money to pay for them, so I kept my bad teeth. They sometimes wiggle a little when I eat and I get nervous one will break again.

It costs tax payers over $5k/month minimum for my monthly medical expenses, and my medical health gets worse as I get older. The ALJ that cut off my disability even said that I needed to stop going to doctors and get a job basically. He went on about how I managed to go to the doctors so I can go to a job. So, even the SSA begrudges me for having health problems. Societal attitude is that I need to 'suck it up and get a job anyway' even though I've been trying to get a job my whole life and no employer wanted me because of my medical problems.

If I were healthy enough I could have landed a deal today that could have earned me four to five thousand in gross profits. It would have required lifting over 400 objects that weigh about 30 lbs each. I struggle to lift ten pounds. I knew I wouldn't be able to do it. I still feel in the dumps about it. I wouldn't have been able to budge the things. The man that got them is going to make a quick killing. He probably can do the lifting all by himself.

Old 01-25-2020, 05:43 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
I already debunked it.

The 2018 Report says....

If faced with an unexpected expense of $400, 61 percent of adults say they would cover it with cash, savings, or a credit card paid off at the next statement—a modest improvement from the prior year. Similar to the prior year, 27 percent would borrow or sell something to pay for the expense, and 12 percent would not be able to cover the expense at all.

[emphasis added]

https://www.federalreserve.gov/publi...lds-201905.pdf

What the Federal Reserve is actually saying is that people are better-off now than they were under Obama.

The 2015 Report says....

To determine individuals’ preparedness for a smaller-scale financial disruption, respondents are asked how they would pay for a hypothetical emergency expense that would cost $400. Just over half (54 percent) report that they could fairly easily handle such an expense, paying for it entirely using cash, money currently in their checking/savings account, or on a credit card that they would pay in full at their next statement (collectively referred to here as “cash or its functional equivalent”). The remaining 46 percent indicate that such an expense would be more challenging to handle and that they either could not pay the expense or would borrow or sell something to do so.

[emphasis added]

https://www.federalreserve.gov/2015-...lds-201605.pdf

Which is greater, 61% or 54%?

2015: 54% could handle a $400 sudden expense while 46% could not.

2018: 61% could handle a $400 sudden expense while 39% could not.

The economy is better, since a greater number of people can handle a $400 sudden expense.

If those numbers were reversed, then someone might actually have an argument the economy is bad.
The number is unchanged from end of 2016, so there has been no improvement in the "greatest economy in history of mankind".

The only thing that has changed is how the situation is characterized:

In 2012 Trump said 1.9% quarterly GDP growth was terrible
In 2019 Trump says the economy is "the greatest economy in American history" when the GDP growth was 1.9%

Some buy into it, and some don't.

40% of Americans don’t have 0 in the bank for emergency expenses-screen-shot-2020-01-25-7.43.18

Old 01-25-2020, 05:51 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,510,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
I've been attacked and belittled my whole life because of my health problems. I've had people ask why they should have their taxes pay for my medical care. Yes, people do attack and begrudges people who are condemned to live in an unhealthy body. I've even been verbally attacked by my former doctors for being too sick to work. I've almost died multiple times over my life because a doctor refused to treat me or refer me for treatment.

I ended up having to have my uterus cut out back in 2004. It was prolapsed and hanging out of my body. I was bleeding to death. I actually had nurses mock me when I was crying out in pain. I had some doctors tell me to take a midol. They all refused to examine me. I had one doctor say he couldn't examine me until I stopped bleeding. Nothing I took helped the pain. I was in so much pain prior to the surgery that after I had the hysterectomy, a major surgery, I felt like I had a super pain medicine even though I still wasn't being given anything for the pain. I lived in that pain for many years. I often want to hunt down all those doctors and nurses that did that to me and cut their uteruses and have them hang out of their bodies and ask them "do you believe I was in pain now?" I only lived because I happened to get a nurse in another town to schedule me and that doctor saved me. At first he was demanding to know why I went so long without seeking medical treatment, and I told him I had and the trouble I was having getting help. Since the primary care doctor I had refused to refer me to an obgyn, Medicaid was refusing to pay for any of this medical care. The doctor patted me and told me not to worry about the money. I never saw one bill. He paid for the hysterectomy and an extra night in the hospital. It didn't stop people from being mad when hearing I had a hysterectomy and assume that their tax dollars went to pay for it.

I had lost so much blood for so long that even after the surgery and even after I stopped bleeding it took over a year for me to regain some strength, and it did unknown damage to my body. Afterall, blood is what carries our nutrients. My teeth rotted in my mouth during that time, even though I was brushing them, because of the constant blood loss. The doctor that saved me was shocked I was still alive. My teeth constantly hurt all the time and break easy. Dentist wanted me to have them pulled at one point and get dentures, but I learned that Medicaid wouldn't pay for the dentures and I had no money to pay for them, so I kept my bad teeth. They sometimes wiggle a little when I eat and I get nervous one will break again.

It costs tax payers over $5k/month minimum for my monthly medical expenses, and my medical health gets worse as I get older. The ALJ that cut off my disability even said that I needed to stop going to doctors and get a job basically. He went on about how I managed to go to the doctors so I can go to a job. So, even the SSA begrudges me for having health problems. Societal attitude is that I need to 'suck it up and get a job anyway' even though I've been trying to get a job my whole life and no employer wanted me because of my medical problems.

If I were healthy enough I could have landed a deal today that could have earned me four to five thousand in gross profits. It would have required lifting over 400 objects that weigh about 30 lbs each. I struggle to lift ten pounds. I knew I wouldn't be able to do it. I still feel in the dumps about it. I wouldn't have been able to budge the things. The man that got them is going to make a quick killing. He probably can do the lifting all by himself.
That sounds like a uterine prolapse, stage 3. From what I understand, prolapse is quite common among women as they age, although in many it remains at stage 1 or 2 and is only mildly symptomatic. Were you under the care of a gynecologist who diagnosed the prolapse at an earlier point, so that it was being monitored? It certainly seems that as soon as your uterus began to descend outside your body, again not unheard of, you should have had surgery. It sounds as if your anger really should have been at the gynecologist, who didn't pick this up earlier and keep a watchful eye. They have a number of different options these days, and a friend of mine had to have some sort of corrective surgery and recovered very nicely.

Old 01-25-2020, 05:54 AM

59,113 posts, read 27,340,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
According to who? Liqueur stores are among the least profitable businesses around, especially in the poor areas where people buy only the cheap stuff.
"According to who?" According to ME. I WORKED in the worst slum areas of my city and SAW IT 1ST HAND!

"liqueur stores are among the least profitable businesses around," Slow down and READ what I posted. I am NOT talking about liquor stores IN GENERAL, even though I know LOTS of them that have been in business for DECADES. I SPECIFICALLY said stores in POOR URBAN AREAS!

Quit trying, poorly I might add, to move the goalposts.

Old 01-25-2020, 05:58 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"According to who?" According to ME. I WORKED in the worst slum areas of my city and SAW IT 1ST HAND!

"liqueur stores are among the least profitable businesses around," Slow down and READ what I posted. I am NOT talking about liquor stores IN GENERAL, even though I know LOTS of them that have been in business for DECADES. I SPECIFICALLY said stores in POOR URBAN AREAS!

Quit trying, poorly I might add, to move the goalposts.
You saw what? A liquor store owner's bank account? What did you see? I have also seen them. They are ready to collapse.

Old 01-25-2020, 08:31 AM

12,964 posts, read 13,684,417 times
Having kids early is not a bad thing. If you are 45 and your kids are grown you could have twenty years or more of earning. The those years should be at your highest income level.

Old 01-25-2020, 08:40 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,685,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Having kids early is not a bad thing. If you are 45 and your kids are grown you could have twenty years or more of earning. The those years should be at your highest income level.
Exactly - we had our first at 20 years old. Our second 2 years later. I (so called head of household) worked for 40 years or so (or at least earned for that), but my best years were from 38 yo or so on.

But that's fodder for another thread. I don't buy into the "we have to have 100's of thousands before we have children" routine. Some do, some don't.

Old 01-25-2020, 08:44 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,685,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The number is unchanged from end of 2016, so there has been no improvement in the "greatest economy in history of mankind".

The only thing that has changed is how the situation is characterized:

In 2012 Trump said 1.9% quarterly GDP growth was terrible
In 2019 Trump says the economy is "the greatest economy in American history" when the GDP growth was 1.9%

Some buy into it, and some don't.
Forgive my ignorance, but buying into that 1.9% is better than 1.9% would seem....crazy!

As if pointing to something else (like a non-inflation adjusted $400 is some kind of benchmark) does away with the big picture........

That amazing 1.9% was built with an extra 500 Billion of tax cuts plus QE and then with lower interest rates. Without those things it would have been WAY less.

Also, any GDP growth these days effectively means MORE people thrown off Health Care (because it is too expensive), more war (a primary driver of growth) and so on.

If health care becomes more expensive it's not exactly "growth" of the sort we need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies