Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2020, 02:33 PM

20,944 posts, read 8,737,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
LOL, at the $800 dollar is ugly tattoos. I agree, it's about priorities. I used to be bad with money in my 20s, I straightened that up by the time I was 28 or so. Started saving by paying myself first. Never make any impulse purchases, anything I want I put off buying for a decent amount of time, I really think about if I truly do I want it. I give myself that cooling off period to help mitigate buying stuff that I might not really want or need.

I know I probably sound like my dad now, but sometimes your parents were right.

People are full of it if they can't save some money. It's a spending problem first, then it's a savings problem after that.
I think I have one example...myself.

When I started a family I worked as a contractor....for myself and for others. I did fairly well and paid all the bills. We lived in a fairly small ranch house (1100 sq) and had an old car.

This went on for about 6 years - I was the only one working in our family of 4.

I remember that, after that time, all we were able to save was 3K. I remember that because we wanted to buy a used Subaru as a family car and that was what we needed to put down.

I had no health insurance.

That's pretty close to broke being as I wasn't insured. Yet I was in a high income area and working hard and making reasonable money as a remodeling contractor.

Imagine those who have actually things happen to them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2020, 02:44 PM

16,778 posts, read 8,771,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
And this is what the Republicans call a great economy?

Someone has been fooling the people.

The people have been fooling themselves if they cannot be responsible enough to say even $400. But I wonder if you felt the (D's) were fooling the people back when they were in charge, during a much worse economy.

It is the governments responsibility to insure people have solid saving habits now?

(R's) nor (D's) cannot force someone to have a bank account for a rainy day.
Americans have apparently deemed themselves to irresponsible to save for the own future retirements and medical costs, hence we have a mandated system for SS & Medicare.

`

Old 01-28-2020, 02:47 PM

19,922 posts, read 12,214,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
I think I have one example...myself.

When I started a family I worked as a contractor....for myself and for others. I did fairly well and paid all the bills. We lived in a fairly small ranch house (1100 sq) and had an old car.

This went on for about 6 years - I was the only one working in our family of 4.

I remember that, after that time, all we were able to save was 3K. I remember that because we wanted to buy a used Subaru as a family car and that was what we needed to put down.

I had no health insurance.

That's pretty close to broke being as I wasn't insured. Yet I was in a high income area and working hard and making reasonable money as a remodeling contractor.

Imagine those who have actually things happen to them?
This was in the 70's, no? Just to put that $3,000 savings and no health insurance in context.

Old 01-28-2020, 03:01 PM

30,467 posts, read 23,921,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
I love it when wealthy conservatives are the to go to authority on how to be poor. Yep they know all the ins and outs. I bet they don't know how you can get your toilet paper free from public bathrooms.
I love it when out of touch lefties try to pretend they know what it's like.

I've been poor. Very poor. I've been homeless. I know exactly what it's like to be that damn poor. And I could still, somehow, get by without a $1000 cell phone and organic food and any other such crap that people buy, and then turn around and complain that they don't have any money.

Any other nonsense, or do you want to admit you're wrong about that stupid phone?

Old 01-28-2020, 03:19 PM

12,962 posts, read 13,752,438 times
Nobody ever criticizes a person with lots of money in the bank who throws away their money. Like the guy who threw away $6000.00 when he drove a brand luxury vehicle off a car lot . Its bully for you! I see houses on the market sell where the owner had to eat around $200,000 to get rid of it. But he's probably got some millions in the bank. It seems odd that this belt tightening is only for the people who are least able to do it. If wasting money is a bad thing then whether its $50.00 or $5000.00 its still bad no matter how much you have in the bank. Its like trying to make people believe that prime rib should only taste good after you have $400.00 in the bank

Old 01-28-2020, 03:25 PM

12,962 posts, read 13,752,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I love it when out of touch lefties try to pretend they know what it's like.

I've been poor. Very poor. I've been homeless. I know exactly what it's like to be that damn poor. And I could still, somehow, get by without a $1000 cell phone and organic food and any other such crap that people buy, and then turn around and complain that they don't have any money.

Any other nonsense, or do you want to admit you're wrong about that stupid phone?

They didn't have cell phones when I was poor, but I lived on oat meal eight miles outside of town and paid my phone bill. Employers didn't go door to door in those days. If I didn't have a job today I would give blood to pay my phone bill. You are confusing people who don't work who have phones and people who are desperately looking for work and have phones. You can probably run and own your own business with a $1000.00 cell phone. I know some one who is self employed and that's all they have for business.

Last edited by thriftylefty; 01-28-2020 at 03:40 PM..

Old 01-28-2020, 03:47 PM

16,778 posts, read 8,771,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Nobody ever criticizes a person with lots of money in the bank who throws away their money. Like the guy who threw away $6000.00 when he drove a brand luxury vehicle off a car lot . Its bully for you! I see houses on the market sell where the owner had to eat around $200,000 to get rid of it. But he's probably got some millions in the bank. It seems odd that this belt tightening is only for the people who are least able to do it. If wasting money is a bad thing then whether its $50.00 or $5000.00 its still bad no matter how much you have in the bank. Its like trying to make people believe that prime rib should only taste good after you have $400.00 in the bank
What you posted makes no sense.

Maybe you are mixing up lack of frugality with irresponsible spending. If a rich person who has money to burn spends like a drunken sailor, it might be stupid, but they can afford it. However if a poor person spends money they don't have (i.e. running up credit cards, financing a new car, etc.) that is irresponsible.
One is definitely worse than the other.

`

Old 01-28-2020, 04:08 PM

20,944 posts, read 8,737,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
This was in the 70's, no? Just to put that $3,000 savings and no health insurance in context.
About 1977 - yes. No way we could afford health insurance or full dental, etc - and, nothing happened to any of us or our kids so all we had were $35 dental fillings and things like that.

Still, the 3K was not much even then. Just enough for a down payment on a "demo" car (our neighbor worked for Subaru and we got a decent deal on his two year old model).

The point is that it all depends on the luck of nothing going wrong...and, in the back of my mind I also had my parents living a few miles away with extra bedrooms.

If any of those pieces are not there - well, it would be easy to fall behind.

I was a vast number of levels above those min. wage and service workers of today and yet it was still month to month and luck.

Old 01-28-2020, 04:13 PM

52,426 posts, read 52,974,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
What you posted makes no sense.

Maybe you are mixing up lack of frugality with irresponsible spending. If a rich person who has money to burn spends like a drunken sailor, it might be stupid, but they can afford it. However if a poor person spends money they don't have (i.e. running up credit cards, financing a new car, etc.) that is irresponsible.
One is definitely worse than the other.

`
It's an example of the mental gymnastics I was talking about upthread. These weird responses people are posting to explain or justify why they are not being able to save 10-15 bucks a pay period as a working adult.

It ain't that hard really, it just requires a little discipline.

Old 01-28-2020, 04:15 PM

10,748 posts, read 7,224,223 times
The people with $400 in their bank account have $5,000 worth of special edition Nikes and latest Iphone, gotta stay fleek af.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies