Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2020, 06:30 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,508,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Clearly they ability to look at problems from more than one angle is severely limited. There is nothing conservative in such approach, because they are simply trying to parrot & apply talking points invented by others.
So people who believe differently than you - for example, middle-earners without $400 to their names should spend money on Iphones and cruises - are merely "parroting" talking points invented by others? Are you so unable to consider that other people who disagree with you make their own decisions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2020, 06:31 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,384,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
I have you beat! The cashier working at McDonald's told me she was about to go off-shift and asked me if I could drive her to the store because she wanted to upgrade her smartphone! She showed me what she currently owned, and it was a better model than I have.

Bet she doesn't have $400 in savings, either.
This highlights the problem to a T. Of course, as others here are arguing, there are those who need help and who by no fault of their own do have issues they cannot overcome, but that number is small.

Most, as we're pointing out make the CHOICE to spend when they cannot. This also applies to high-earners in many cases. The friend I mentioned grew up in a wealthy household, but her family now has lost their home because they lived beyond their means. The concept of thrift and savings was simply not there, even in that high-income home.

Old 01-29-2020, 06:34 AM

12,964 posts, read 13,681,864 times
I get the sense that wealthy conservatives are upset that wasting money and resources is something everyone does regardless of income. I'm sure there is a person somewhere who has already taken order for a 2021 Escalade who doesn't care of the premium they pay for that luxury and they will get upset when a person in line in front of them uses a food stamp card while talking on an expensive cell phone.

I think what we are witnessing is the downfall of money itself. It's not hard to come by and that's why no one saves it or feels the need to use it for their survival. People who have traded too much of their life to pile it up don't like think that a person can just beg for in the street and get by. Can you imagine in 1840 a beggar on the street begging for a slave from a wealthy plantation owner? Someone who would give $3000.00 to charity would never buy an acre of land and donated it to a poor family.

Money is just not worth what it used to be worth. Its too easy to come by.

858 posts, read 424,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Of course your suggestion is smug (and shows how liberals are so out-of-touch). You think that an individual needs $65,000 a year in retirement (that's the 4% withdrawal on the mil plus another $25k in SS)? Don't you realize that the average earnings per FAMILY, during the working years, is around $60K? And that's when they have the expenses of a mortgage, and growing kids!

And you consider what I said about a liberals a non-sequitur? Let me explain:

1) Liberals on this forum are defending middle-earners who, instead of putting a couple of thousand dollars away every year to build a retirement fund, spend every last cent on expensive IPhones and vacations, leaving them with less than $400 in savings.

2) Then we have another liberal who is claiming that you need at least $1 million in savings to have a decent retirement.

So which is it? On one hand, you defend people who choose not to save a cent and spend irresponsibly, and on the other hand, you claim that people better have saved up $1 million to have a decent retirement.
To point two, you are making an assumption assuming SS will be around in the same form it is today decades from now, this is a major assumption that I would not want to hedge my retirement future on. You also need to take inflation into account which will likely eat into the savings. $65,000 grand today will most likely not be worth $65,000 twenty to thirty years from now.

To point one, you are just making up anecdotal points to try to "prove" your theory. Personal anecdotes on an anonymous internet forum mean jacksquat and are not worth arguing over.

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachel976 View Post
the cashier working at mcdonald's told me...........
lol

Old 01-29-2020, 06:39 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
The solution is personal responsibility financially.
What a wonderful solution

How is it working?

Oh, wait 40% of the population can't save $400.

Doesn't seem to be working too well, but then again, it is not really a solution, it's a talking point.

If all people were personally responsible, out nation would be utopia.

Old 01-29-2020, 06:40 AM

89,038 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:

How is it working?

Can't? Or won't? BIG difference.

Old 01-29-2020, 06:40 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,384,174 times
Quote:

How is it working?

Doesn't seem to be working too well, but then again, it is not really a solution, it's a talking point.

If all people were personally responsible, out nation would be utopia.
Because many of those people are not taking personal responsibility for their own financial actions, so of course it isn't working for them.

Old 01-29-2020, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
I get the sense that wealthy conservatives are upset that wasting money and resources is something everyone does regardless of income. I'm sure there is a person somewhere who has already taken order for a 2021 Escalade who doesn't care of the premium they pay for that luxury and they will get upset when a person in line in front of them uses a food stamp card while talking on an expensive cell phone.

I think what we are witnessing is the downfall of money itself. It's not hard to come by and that's why no one saves it or feels the need to use it for their survival. People who have traded too much of their life to pile it up don't like think that a person can just beg for in the street and get by. Can you imagine in 1840 a beggar on the street begging for a slave from a wealthy plantation owner? Someone who would give $3000.00 to charity would never buy an acre of land and donated it to a poor family.

Money is just not worth what it used to be worth. Its too easy to come by.
Are you assuming that the people disturbed when others without $400 in savings spend their money on expensive cell phones are "wealthy conservatives"? To the contrary, they are primarily middle-income earners who made prudent decisions, bought the cheaper cell phone and do their own fingernails, so they can put away savings for retirement. They are rightly disturbed when they see people without a penny to their names spend every last cent because they know that these same people will cry "poverty" when it comes time to get on the liberal receiving line for benefits - and paid for by the middle-income earners who made the responsible decisions.

Old 01-29-2020, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
Because many of those people are not taking personal responsibility for their own financial actions, so of course it isn't working for them.
Exactly! What is it with some of these posters who first claim that people who disagree with them can't entertain a differing perspective - and then are unable to see ours?

It would be nice to conduct this study by income and find out what percent of people earning more than $50,000 have nothing in savings but DO have expensive IPhones, go the theater frequently, go on cruises and to Hawaii, and have their weekly pit stop at the spa for a manicure?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies