Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2020, 08:07 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
We gave you two examples and you laughed, even when given examples.
Where?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2020, 08:08 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,385,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
You are not reaching out, you are asking me to help you take the thread off topic. Healthcare, education, housing etc are massive topics and it would be impossible to stay on topic while discussing them at the same time.

My point is that there are multiple causes why people can't save and that there are also proposed solutions from both sides of the aisle. Pretending that irresponsible spending it the only cause guarantees the other causes will never be addressed (because according to the argument they do not play into it).

This is the pseudo-conservative argument pushed by Rachel etc.
The title of this tread states that 40% of people don't have $400. We are giving you our views of the issue, and you are just saying, no, no. So, it would be nice to hear your argument as to the problem, rather than just a no, no. What is the main cause of this, and what are the solutions?

Simple question.

Old 01-29-2020, 08:10 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,510,489 times
Quote:
Okay, I tried to reach out to you, but obviously you dodged and showed you really don't want to discuss it, but rather call people like Rachel names. I see.
Thank you, EastwardBound. Now he's actually claiming that I want poor people to wear barrels on their head or some such nonsense. What I find is that when liberals cannot refute the point, they resort to name-calling (as you noted) and painting conservatives as evil by attributing false beliefs to them.

Old 01-29-2020, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Thank you, EastwardBound. Now he's actually claiming that I want poor people to wear barrels on their head or some such nonsense. What I find is that when liberals cannot refute the point, they resort to name-calling (as you noted) and painting conservatives as evil by attributing false beliefs to them.
He seems to be a mindreader! Also knows I'm not reaching out! I'd love to hear everyone's ideas about the causes of this phenomenon. We've given ours, but I haven't heard any alternative theories.

Old 01-29-2020, 08:13 AM

Quote:
What do you do when you have a bill for $500 and you only have $300?

Do you just pay $200, save $100 and pray no one would notice you were $300 short?
What do you do when you have a doctor's bill for $700 but can't pay it because you bought a new car, the latest iPhone, and go out to expensive restaurants every week. The reason SOME people only have $300 instead of the full doctor's is because they spent money frivolously, knowing they didn't even have a few hundred in the bank for an emergency.

Old 01-29-2020, 08:16 AM

Quote:
What do you do when you have a doctor's bill for $700 but can't pay it because you bought a new car, the latest iPhone, and go out to expensive restaurants every week. The reason SOME people only have $300 instead of the full doctor's is because they spent money frivolously, knowing they didn't even have a few hundred in the bank for an emergency.
And really, the crux of his argument is that someone else should be paying for those peoples' medical bills.

Old 01-29-2020, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Where?
OK, here is what I said in my first post of this thread:

"It would be interesting to know what percent of Americans don't have $400 because they have nothing left after paying the rent, the electric bill, and the grocery store versus what percent of Americans don't have $400 because they have nothing left after paying $500 for a "designer cat," eating out twice a week at nice steakhouses and seafood restaurants, going on a cruise, paying for their manicures and pedicures, and going to the hair salon for the weekly blow-out."

Thus, I have acknowledged that SOME people don't have the savings because they have nothing left after paying for the NECESSITIES of life but also pointed out that OTHER people have nothing in savings.

Old 01-29-2020, 08:17 AM

Quote:
The title of this tread states that 40% of people don't have $400. We are giving you our views of the issue, and you are just saying, no, no. So, it would be nice to hear your argument as to the problem, rather than just a no, no. What is the main cause of this, and what are the solutions?
Lets try my point one final time (even though I have repeated it several dozen of times)

My point is that there are multiple causes why people can't save and that there are also proposed solutions from both sides of the aisle. Pretending that irresponsible spending it the only cause guarantees the other causes will never be addressed (because according to the argument they do not play into it).

And I will repeat this one final time

What is the main cause : Studies show that #1 reason (by far) for inability to save is big ticket living expenses (housing, health care, education, child care etc).

Once the problems / sources have been identified, the next step is to address them, but as long as people pretend that irresponsible people are the ONLY problem there is no hope for a solution.

Old 01-29-2020, 08:18 AM

Quote:
And really, the crux of his argument is that someone else should be paying for those peoples' medical bills.
Yes. I resent having to pay other people's medical bills when they have nothing to pay THAT but somehow have money to buy an iPhone and book a cruise.

Old 01-29-2020, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Ah, the victim card. What else is new.

What name have you been called?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies