Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2020, 08:48 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,042,475 times

Advertisements

People should have to crunch the numbers with the random internet posters before making purchases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2020, 08:49 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,510,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
People should have to crunch the numbers with the random internet posters before making purchases.
Yes, people who will be on the hook to subsidize irresponsible spenders (because they have no money) should just fork it over and be quiet about it. That's certainly the basis of what Warren told that responsible father who saved for his college daughter's education.

Old 01-29-2020, 08:51 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Yes, and you jumped on it with your follow-up connecting it to "people like Rachel." Please stop the personal attacks simply because I dared point out that many middle-income people are in financial difficulties due to their own poor choices.
I'll ask for the 3rd and final time: What name have you been called?

You are playing the victim card and accusing me of calling you names, so I am asking you what name you have been called.

Old 01-29-2020, 08:51 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,226,257 times
Quote:
I said at the very outset that some people do not have $400 because they are truly needy, but many others do not have it because despite their middle incomes, they buy luxuries instead of saving even a tiny amount. (Hence, they need to borrow $400 when there's an emergency.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post

However, we have people like Rachel and few other pseudo-conservatives who insist is it the ONLY possible reason, which replaces reality with a talking point.
just because she gets flustered dealing with your style, doesn't mean she's wrong. Why, just look at her post and your response.

Old 01-29-2020, 08:54 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,510,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
just because she gets flustered dealing with your style, doesn't mean she's wrong. Why, just look at her post and your response.
Thank you. And I even quoted my first post, in which I acknowledged other reasons, and yet he still responded with "you think it's the only reason."

Old 01-29-2020, 08:55 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:
Thank you! I am particularly upset because I just got the bill for the pathology this morning, and next week I have to start PT for two months. (Two unrelated issues.) Because of Obamacare, my insurance basically pays NOTHING. Didn't want to complicate the story, but that means that my medical costs for February will be $900 premium plus $925 for the doctor's bill plus $800 for 8 sessions of PT. That's close to $2,000 for February alone! And I'm what Obama counts as "insured." Oye.
And silly me, but I thought "catastrophic only" plans were against the law now.

Old 01-29-2020, 08:57 AM

21,868 posts, read 25,167,969 times
Quote:
Thank you! I am particularly upset because I just got the bill for the pathology this morning, and next week I have to start PT for two months. (Two unrelated issues.) Because of Obamacare, my insurance basically pays NOTHING. Didn't want to complicate the story, but that means that my medical costs for February will be $900 premium plus $925 for the doctor's bill plus $800 for 8 sessions of PT. That's close to $2,000 for February alone! And I'm what Obama counts as "insured." Oye.
If you didn't want to have a high deductible plan, you should have paid more for one that wasn't. Issue of course is cost. Most people don't see it as they get coverage through employer. It's 7,000 a year for the average individual. That includes younger people though. In my 30s the high deductible plan ifor me is 345 a month. In a group plan, the young in effect subsidize the old which happens less in the individual market

Old 01-29-2020, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
The only reason I have seen her offer is that people spend all their money on things she calls 'luxuries' (cell phone, restaurant meal etc), and she has done it probably 40 times in this thread. Others have offered other causes, and now she turned around to claim others hate that idea.

Now she is accusing me of calling her names, which never happened, so it may be time to put her on a time-out.

Old 01-29-2020, 09:01 AM

Quote:
You could afford this easily if you didn't spend all your money on luxuries like meals at Applebee's

Old 01-29-2020, 09:03 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,226,257 times
Finn, you've mentioned "study" and "studies" many times in this thread, showing the real reason folks can't save. Thanks in advance for actually sharing the study, rather than merely referring to it's existence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies