Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2020, 01:50 PM

2,646 posts, read 1,847,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
The evidence in the police report showed bruises on the woman and other evidence of rape I won't post. Kobe admitted he had consensual sex with her, then paid her off to go away. He apologized publicly and to his wife.
I'd say let it go. Kobe was a good man and a hero, to so many, including me. Was he a saint? Probably not. If his wife forgave him, that is what matters. God knows, he has done so much for so many.

You know I hardly ever agree with you, but your statement is not so bad. Who knows, maybe the woman was looking for a big payoff.

I still say Kobe has done so much for people. Let it go. He is with his God, now. Way too young to die. The loss of his daughter and all aboard that horrible flight is just horrific.

Breaks my heart. Rest in peace Kobe and daughter and all who perished in this nightmare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2020, 01:53 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,624,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
This is why women who are raped don’t come forward. Likely the reason why accuser in the Kobe case decided not to testify. Victim blaming is alive and well.

It is known that she came from a wealthy family so it detracts from the theory that she trapped him in order to get a payout. The physical evidence detracts from the claim that it was consensual.

That argument is useful for the prosecution but may not hold water. A lot of people come from wealthy families - that doesn't mean they're wealthy, too.

And physical evidence doesn't really claim anything as was pointed out in the other thread.

Old 01-27-2020, 01:53 PM

21,952 posts, read 9,517,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
The evidence in the police report showed bruises on the woman and other evidence of rape I won't post. Kobe admitted he had consensual sex with her, then paid her off to go away. He apologized publicly and to his wife.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
It's a lie. It was a shakedown. It's pretty common for women to seduce rich athletes and then try to gouge money out of them. Derrick Rose had that happen, but he didn't settle - he counter sued and his false accuser was ordered to pay him.

And it's extremely low for any news organization to mention this just after his death.
Kobes apology and acknowledgement.

First, I want to apologize directly to the young woman involved in this incident. I want to apologize to her for my behavior that night and for the consequences she has suffered in the past year. Although this year has been incredibly difficult for me personally, I can only imagine the pain she has had to endure. I also want to apologize to her parents and family members, and to my family and friends and supporters, and to the citizens of Eagle, Colo. I also want to make it clear that I do not question the motives of this young woman. No money has been paid to this woman. She has agreed that this statement will not be used against me in the civil case. Although I truly believe this encounter between us was consensual, I recognize now that she did not and does not view this incident the same way I did. After months of reviewing discovery, listening to her attorney, and even her testimony in person, I now understand how she feels that she did not consent to this encounter. I issue this statement today fully aware that while one part of this case ends today, another remains. I understand that the civil case against me will go forward. That part of this case will be decided by and between the parties directly involved in the incident and will no longer be a financial or emotional drain on the citizens of the state of Colorado.

Then, what do you think he meant by THAT comment exactly?

Old 01-27-2020, 01:56 PM

21,952 posts, read 9,517,840 times
https://www.latimes.com/sports/story...l-assault-case

What happened with Kobe Bryant’s sexual assault case

"A civil suit brought by the accuser in August 2004 was settled out of court on March 2, 2005,"

She got paid something to keep quiet. He apologized.

Old 01-27-2020, 01:58 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,757,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
That argument is useful for the prosecution but may not hold water. A lot of people come from wealthy families - that doesn't mean they're wealthy, too.

And physical evidence doesn't really claim anything as was pointed out in the other thread.
The physical evidence included multiple vaginal lacerations that “we’re not consistent with consensual sex”, blood, bruising on the woman’s neck”.

She was a 19 year old college student from a wealthy family.

According to a key witness, Immediately following the incident she was visibly shaken, described as terrified and in tears. She told her friend and coworker that Kobe had choked her and forced her to have sex.

Old 01-27-2020, 01:59 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollygee View Post
I'd say let it go. Kobe was a good man and a hero, to so many, including me. Was he a saint? Probably not. If his wife forgave him, that is what matters. God knows, he has done so much for so many.

You know I hardly ever agree with you, but your statement is not so bad. Who knows, maybe the woman was looking for a big payoff.

I still say Kobe has done so much for people. Let it go. He is with his God, now. Way too young to die. The loss of his daughter and all aboard that horrible flight is just horrific.

Breaks my heart. Rest in peace Kobe and daughter and all who perished in this nightmare.
Right on.

This was 17 years ago. He was 24 years old.

He has remained married to the same woman his entire adult life. They had four daughters together. He was a devout Catholic who attended Mass a few hours before getting on that flight.

I remember the Kobe Bryant rape accusations well. I am not defending him, but just saying that I doubt we have all the facts, which are only known to his accuser and to him, because the case never went to trial and was settled out of court. The accuser got a huge amount of money. I am sure that all involved had to put in a lot of work emotionally to get past all this, but apparently he and his wife managed to navigate this and build a life together.

I am sure she is absolutely devastated already with the deaths of her husband and daughter. And now she's having to relive this as well. My heart hurts for his family.

Old 01-27-2020, 02:00 PM

15,640 posts, read 10,400,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I doubt that Kobe Bryant was any kind of a moral person or should be a role model for anybody. His wife said he cheated on her at least 100 times. He was very rich and lived it up in every possible way. He was a typical celebrity. That is all.

Having said that, a helicopter crash that killed nine people is a terrible event.
he was not a convicted rapist as the original poster implied.

I've seen videos of his interactions with his girls. some people wish they had a dad as loving as kobe.

why do people judge a man or woman as bad or good? we are both. ask our children or spouse, no matter how much they love us. we are always both.

Old 01-27-2020, 02:02 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollygee View Post

Right on.

This was 17 years ago. He was 24 years old.

He has remained married to the same woman his entire adult life. They had four daughters together. He was a devout Catholic who attended Mass a few hours before getting on that flight.

I remember the Kobe Bryant rape accusations well. I am not defending him, but just saying that I doubt we have all the facts, which are only known to his accuser and to him, because the case never went to trial and was settled out of court. The accuser got a huge amount of money. I am sure that all involved had to put in a lot of work emotionally to get past all this, but apparently he and his wife managed to navigate this and build a life together.

I am sure she is absolutely devastated already with the deaths of her husband and daughter. And now she's having to relive this as well. My heart hurts for his family.

This article was originally written in 2016, and updated after his untimely death:

https://aleteia.org/2016/04/15/kobe-...atholic-faith/

Old 01-27-2020, 02:23 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,624,362 times
I don't know how much more graphic people have to be in order to explain why bruises and lacerations are not absolute proof of anything.

I can't even fathom where to begin in that discussion.

Old 01-27-2020, 02:30 PM

15,850 posts, read 6,554,586 times
The charges, and how it was settled, were always enough for me to view him in a dubious light. So, while I have sympathies for his family, I can't honestly say the same for the man himself. Sorry. Anyway, it's out of our hands now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies