Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2020, 08:14 PM

6,829 posts, read 2,118,201 times

Advertisements

New Yorkers have forgotten how much of a dump their city was in the 70s through the early 90s. After tough mayors cleaned house and a bunch of hipsters from the middle country moved in following- it seems history is destined to repeat itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2020, 08:14 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times
I say Good for those guys. NO ONE should be obeying or complying with drug laws anyway!

If you support the DEA and the drug laws, you are supporting the foreign drug cartels.

Old 01-29-2020, 08:50 PM

1,510 posts, read 1,007,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
He changed the rules on bail, so if you get arrested, and are too poor to make bail, the bail is waived and you get set loose back on the city. They are basically going through a turnstile.

So basically, a lot of criminals who used to be sitting in jail cells, are now perpetually on the street.
I hate de Blasio but he didn't change anything. Stick to the facts -- the bail reform law was passed by the state legislature.

Old 01-29-2020, 08:57 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullandre View Post
I hate de Blasio but he didn't change anything. Stick to the facts -- the bail reform law was passed by the state legislature.
You stick to the facts. De Blasio was totally behind it.

He even went as far as ordering it in effect, weeks before it was officially in effect.

If you dont believe me, just google it. You will find many articles confirming it.
https://www.law.com/newyorklawjourna...ghtly-defined/

He even went as far as offering gifts in exchange for showing up for court dates.
https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2019/11...s-gifts-court/

And here is am article about it already causing problems in December when it was implemented even before it officially went into effect.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...s-streets.html

Last edited by AnesthesiaMD; 01-29-2020 at 09:14 PM..

Old 01-30-2020, 12:09 AM

11,122 posts, read 5,593,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
I'm sorry that you're so ignorant about statistics that you don't understand that you're not supposed to look at numbers only covering a couple of years. Go compare the figures to crime statistics of the 1970s or 1980s. This is why Trump really doesn't deserve much credit yet.

Also, do you understand how percentages work? If there were 100 crimes last year, and this year there were an additional 2, that would be a tiny jump of 2%. But if there were 2 crimes last year and 2 additional ones this year, that would be a 100% jump. So one reason you imagine the increase to be high is because the actual crime rate is so low.

I notice you ignore the big drop in murder and rape, too.

You're expecting too much attention to detail from this poster. Followers of the current administration are good at cherry-picking small bits of data that support their agenda and ignoring everything else.

Old 01-30-2020, 12:51 AM

2,078 posts, read 1,029,067 times
Quote:
You stick to the facts. De Blasio was totally behind it.

He even went as far as ordering it in effect, weeks before it was officially in effect.

If you dont believe me, just google it. You will find many articles confirming it.
https://www.law.com/newyorklawjourna...ghtly-defined/

He even went as far as offering gifts in exchange for showing up for court dates.
https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2019/11...s-gifts-court/

And here is am article about it already causing problems in December when it was implemented even before it officially went into effect.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...s-streets.html
New york and california deserve everything that happens. All of these policies that go to help very few are going to have massive consequences. You get what you vote for.

Old 01-30-2020, 05:55 AM

57,298 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
He changed the rules on bail, so if you get arrested, and are too poor to make bail, the bail is waived and you get set loose back on the city. They are basically going through a turnstile.

So basically, a lot of criminals who used to be sitting in jail cells, are now perpetually on the street.
That was NY State that changed the rules on bail as have some other places around the country. It was an attempt to address inequities but it has created problems.

from your article:

Quote:
New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio said in Albany on Tuesday that he would support allowing the state’s judges to use a “tightly defined” measure of a defendant’s “dangerousness,” or threat to public safety, to decide if they should be incarcerated before trial as part of legislation to overhaul the state’s current system on cash bail.

Old 01-30-2020, 05:59 AM

6,829 posts, read 2,118,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
That was NY State that changed the rules on bail as have some other places around the country. It was an attempt to address inequities but it has created problems.
That the rich are less affected by the bail system is a no-sh*t-sherlock moment. That doing this stunt would increase violent crime is also a no-sh*t-sherlock moment. People lack common sense.

I'm not a rich man. If pinched, I'll be digging deep in my pockets for bail money. But, I still rather that, than violent offenders being released into the general population out of some abstract and lofty goal to strive for equality which doesn't exist. There is no such thing as equality in mother nature. It will never happen.

Old 01-30-2020, 06:23 AM

1,107 posts, read 552,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
I notice you ignore the big drop in murder and rape, too.
Actually, murders were up by about 8% last year.

Old 01-30-2020, 07:30 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Bring back stop-question-and-frisk program. Problem solved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies