Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2020, 10:13 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,208,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
While illegal immigration does have some adverse effects on the black community, it’s no worse than other immigrants opening so many businesses in black neighborhoods and then not appreciating us. Plus they generally don’t even hire black people. Look at beauty supply stores for example.
This is generally true, but I have noticed a change in the last five years to a decade of non-Asians getting hired, at least in my area. I have actually seen Asian-owned beauty supply stores and Chinese restaurants have employees(women) who were black, particularly in a black majority suburb not far from me. In the heart of Chinatown, I have seen a black employee and other non-Asians as well. In my area at least, I believe that some Asians(especially East Asians) businesses have looked to hiring other races because there are just so few of them compared to others, so it makes little sense to be exclusive. The color green rules. Also, you have to keep in mind of how many black people are actually looking to get hired at an employer run by Asians. I think most of us have the presumption in our minds that we won't get hired on anyway, so instead we look to whites/Arabs and if they are around, black businesses, for applications. When I was looking for my first job years ago, applying at a Chinese restaurant, for example, was the last thing on my mind. The language barrier in a lot of these restaurants could pose a problem, as in communicating with the cooks (who themselves may only work there because the employer provides housing).

What's more potentially problematic is that black-owned businesses are not supported in masses by other races. Other races do not need to have their businesses in neighborhoods where they dominate to have sufficient support. You'll notice that things generally cost more in black owned stores/restaurants compared to their Hispanic and Asian.

Old 03-15-2020, 11:06 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,375,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
You're claims of de facto racism (whatever the hell that means) is laughable to say the least! This isn't the 50's anymore. Grow up!
Someone forgot to tell you that it isn't the 50s either, because it sounds like your attitudes regarding race and ethnicity are back in that era.

Old 03-15-2020, 11:07 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,375,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
If a person cannot mange their own personal finances well, ($227K in debt is a train wreck) why the heck would I trust them with $27 Billion of State money? Common sense to me.

Your comment troubles me greatly.

This is like giving a child who keeps falling off their tricycle, a new minibike.
Maybe you better stop supporting Trump then.

Old 03-15-2020, 12:08 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,476,834 times
DEAR BLACK PEOPLE ...

Just vote your conscience, always.

Old 03-15-2020, 12:17 PM

3,354 posts, read 1,187,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
DEAR BLACK PEOPLE ...

Just vote your conscience, always.

A write-in vote for myself then. There isn't a liberal, conservative or other I would sincerely want to vote for, America doesn't want me and Africa or other country won't take me. So again, I have none other than myself, a no-race, non-conformist, non-social type individual. All the rest of you can have at it.

Old 03-15-2020, 12:27 PM

73,097 posts, read 62,726,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aileesic View Post
Correct. Yet the others squeal about blacks having some sort of magic privileges or entitlements allowing us to get ahead of everyone else as though they are not getting their piece of the pie. We know better. They go about taunting night and day about how great and innovative and highly skilled they are - showing off daily. It's more than obvious that they are whining but not held back by us at all. The rest of the world has been profiting and playing the game with black folks forever to get what they want out of us, and yet they blame us for those same actions.
What privileges? I don't see any privileges. I don't see any privileges or special powers that Blacks have. And yet, Black Americans are a much obsessed about group. I think one thing we do have is this. Black Americans have been put through some of the worst things America has had to offer. America is suppose to be the land of the freedom, opportunity, and equality. Black Americans are only here because they were brought here as slaves (and where there were free Black people, they still dealt with severe discrimination and could easily get kidnapped into slavery). And then after that nearly another century of Jim Crow laws and other legislation essentially putting Blacks into positions of forced inequality and quasi-dictatorship.

The fact that we have people whining and complaining about Black Americans isn't surprising anymore. Some people who came to this country would soon turn against Black Americans. Link below shows an example.

Cincinnati riot of 1829. A clash between Blacks and Irish immigrants.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cincinnati_riots_of_1829

One thing reading about American history has taught me is this. It was never inteded for Blacks to be part of American society. Blacks were simply here to be profited off of. The very minute Blacks were free, they were considered competitors. If Blacks were perceived as "holding others back", I think it had alot to do with Blacks being perceived as a pest, a burden, a surplus population only needed when times got desperate. Black Americans were viewed as the lowest of the low.

Immigrants from Ireland, Italy, Poland, etc were looked down on by the prevailing Anglo-American population. There were indeed the "Irish not need apply" at many jobs. At the same time, these immigrants from Europe had something. They would soon be counted as "White", and therefore, treated like Whites. At one time Italians and Irish weren't counted as White. At the same time, they weren't counted as Black either. If you were Black, you were automatically relegated to the bottom of the social and racial hierarchy, no matter what.

In the Jim Crow South, Italians were not shut out of living in certain New Orleans neighborhoods. Blacks were. In many towns, sundown laws were put in the books. While some towns targeted certain immigrant groups, most sundown laws were aimed at one group: Blacks.

In Alabama, there is a town that was once a sundown town. No Blacks allowed there after dark. Today, 0.8% of that town's population is Black. 6.8% of the population, however, is Hispanic. Blacks seem to stay away, but Hispanics will go there. Look up Cullman,AL.

Old 03-15-2020, 12:31 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,842,447 times
Quote:
Me asking what black issues are that are different than any other race of Americans is a valid question. How is that condesending? Why not just answer the question? Why do I have to ask the Dems rather than black people themselves?

Quote you: "You thinking that white people's feelings should trump the feelings of black people (should be superior to their views/feelings on teaching actual American history lol) is an overwhelmingly racist perspective".

Where did I say or even imply that white people's feeling should trump the feelings of black people? As for history, when I was in school the Civil Rights Era and slavery was taught so I don't know WTH you are talking about. Where's the racist perspective? CIVIL RIGHTS AND SLAVERY IS NOT THE ENTIRETY OF BLACK HISTORY IN AMERICA. I SPECIFICALLY MENTIONED THE REVOLUTIONARY ERA - I DOUBT YOU KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT WHAT BLACK AMERICANS WERE DOING DURING THAT ERA OR BETWEEN 1789 AND 1865. I ALSO DIDN'T SAY ANYTHIING WAS A "RACIST" PERSPECTIVE - I SAID GENERAL AMERICAN HISTORY "CENTERS" ON WHITE PEOPLE AND THEIR EXPERIENCES WITH OTHER GROUPS OF PEOPLE IN AMERICA. THERE CAN BE AND ARE CLASSES THAT CENTER ON BLACK PEOPLES EXPERIENCES IN ALL THESE ERAS AND HOW THEY WORKED WITH/AGAINST PERSONS BOTH WHITE AND BLACK. THERE ARE ACTUALLY MANY HEROIC WHITE PEOPLE THAT WORKED WITH BLACK PEOPLE BETWEEN 1789 AND 1865 THAT I DOUBT YOU KNOW MUCH ABOUT AT ALL AND THAT COULD AND IS INSPIRING TO ALL AMERICAN CHILDREN AND IMO ESPECIALLY WHITE CHILDREN. WHITE PEOPLE GET VERY INTERESTED, FOR INSTANCE IN A WOMAN I KNOW ABOUT NAMED LAURA HAVILLAND SMITH. SHE WAS A WHITE WOMAN AND THE ONLY WHITE PERSON KNOWN TO HAVE ACTUALLY "PASSED" AS BLACK - SHE PRETENDED TO BE A MULLATTO - IN ORDER TO GO INTO SLAVERY TERRITORY AND ASSIST A BLACK FAMILY TO FREEDOM. NOT MANY PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT HER OR OTHER PEOPLE THAT SHE WORKED WITH/ALONGSIDE AND IMO IT WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA FOR AMERICANS TO KNOW THIS HISTORY TO KNOW WE CAN WORK TOGETHER ON ISSUES WE FIND IMPORTANT AND NOT GETTING DEFENSIVE ABOUT THE MENTION OF RACE.

Since when doesn't the GOP have black members among their ranks? Huh?

Just what hasn't the GOP been doing for blacks that you think they should be doing? Why are you focused on your own race anyway? We are all Americans. Why not focus on the needs of all Americans collectively? SEE NUMBERS BELOW I hate the tribal/victim mentality of many Americans. It's what divides us not unites us.
On the bold - please see your post below. You asked a question and I answered your question. You proceeded to dismiss everything I said and act like they are not valid issues or that you don't think they are important. You continuing to ask the same questions, yet not being open to anything an actual black person says is condescending. As if I or another black person should just not have any issues because you, as a white person don't "think" we should or agree with what we see as political issues. Your views do not negate my own and if you want more black people to vote for the GOP then it is beneficial of you to listen and implement policy initiatives to focus on those issues versus coming up with excuses/opinions or flat out dismissals of those concerns as it comes off as condescending and uncaring along with racist.

See the purple in your comments below and tell me how they are not condescending. Also

1 - I told you that for maternal health issues of black women that that has been mentioned before on this web forum. I remember 2 threads in particular and there have been many discussions here about this. So either you skipped over those threads/posts or you truly do not care about black women's health.

2 - I advised you to see what Democrats label as "black issues" because they don't just label our issues as prison reform and poverty programs, which Republicans seem to think are our only issues when they are not.

3 - The GOP should specifically go to majority black institutions/organizations and do polling/surveys with actual black people about our issue. Afterwards, they should create specific policy iniatives to address those issues. They also should not be defensive or think that everything that black people want is out to make white people "feel" a certain way or act like we want to punish white people. Most of you conservatives have this chip on your shoulder where you think any black or POC is attacking you when we speak of our specific issues when they are not about you and know one really cares about your feelings or wants you to feel a certain way if they are actually into politics/policy.

4 - I'm focused on my race because you are focused on my race and being a black person in America comes with experiences that are based on the way we look or our known ethnic origins. We are viewed from a biased and prejudicial view. That is just a fact and it is nothing I said to make you "feel" bad. I am okay with the fact that this is reality. As such, I want to ensure that I and especially my children do not have to deal with any actual danger based on these biases and prejudices. I personally, as a black woman and mother have dealt with healthcare practitioners who have treated me in a sub par way. I know that it is because I am a black woman because they have made stereotypical/prejudicial assumptions and comments about me. My children have been treated in a stereotypical way by teachers because they are black children. I know because I am VERY direct in my communications with education administrators/teachers and I focus on the reason for the specific treatment and ask directly about it. I've had a principal/teacher tell me that my son probably could not read well because he is a black boy....He read 3 grade levels above average at that time. Oftentimes Americans in general (not just white people) buy into negative assumptions about black children in particular and it negatively impacts their lives and experiences. I mentioned in my response to you that it would take too long to focus on education and black children. IMO the educational, healthcare, and criminal justice "systems" are the ones where the worse impact is done to black people in this nation. I am not naive enough to believe that laws make racism/bias/prejudice disappear; however, I do feel there are policy initiatives that can be put in place to diminish the impacts of the latter and that is the reason why the GOP, if they are serious about courting black voters, should create policy initiatives facing this. Note, I also never said the GOP has never done th is or that they don't have any black people. However, they have fewer black people and as such fewer black voices/opinions about black issues. They also are more likely to silence black GOPers than Democrats are, or do like you are doing and tell us not to see our issues as "black" issues, basically an attempt to deny our blackness. Just like white Appalachians and white urban dwellers have different issues, so do whites and blacks and different black people based on where they live/are faced with. A good politicians and political lay member understands that everyone has unique issues within their communities.

Your condesnending post is below. I highlight the condescending portions and provide commentary in uppercase letters - not yelling, but just differentiating the different voices.

Quote:
Nothing funny nor untruthful that a lot of blacks are successful and my friend is one of them. Sure, many are not either but who's fault is that? I think its silly to want black history specifically taught in our schools. It's just a way of beating up whites today for a past they never played a role in. We are never going back to the 50's in that respect anyway. It serves no purpose but to perpetuate white guilt. THIS IS CONDESCENDING AND DISMISSIVE OF WHAT I SAID

I haven't heard that black women are more at risk in childbirth than any other race of women. Why would that be? Got a link to your claims? THIS IS CONDESCENDING BASED ON #1 ABOVE SEARCH THIS FORUM FOR INFO ON THIS ISSUE IF YOU REALLY WANT TO KNOW OR DO A GOOGLE SEARCH Minorities are always claiming that LE are racially profiling them. When they are working in poor minority areas who is likely to be committing the most crimes? I know there are some bad cops but most are not. Not sure I agree about keeping a database on them though as many people lose their jobs for various reasons but are worth a second chance. THIS IS DISMISSIVE - I DOUBT YOU'D WANT TO HAVE A NURSE/PHYSICIAN WORKING ON YOU OR A LOVED ONE IF THEY HAVE A HISTORY OF ACTIONS OF MALPRACTICE I doubt if convicted of racial profiling that they are even considered for the same type of job though. THE COP THAT KILLED TAMIR RICE - NOT SURE IF YOU SAW THAT VIDEO - IT WAS THE LAST I WATCHED OF COPS SHOOTING BLACK PEOPLE AS HE WAS THE SAME AGE AS MY SON - TAMIR WAS SITTING AT A PARK BENCH, COP JUMPED OUT THE CAR AND IMMEDIATELY SHOT AND KILLED HIM - OFFICER WAS ABLE TO GET A NEW JOB AS A LE OFFICER - HE SHOULD NEVER WORK AS A LE AGAIN AND IF YOU THINK HE DOES I'M NOT GOING TO SAY WHAT SORT OF PERSON I THINK YOU ARE BECAUSE IT WOULD PROBABLY GET ME BANNED FROM THE FORUM

I think we should have voter ID laws and that's all I have to say about that. I don't see this as a black issue. THIS IS CONDESCENDING AS, AGAIN, I NEVER MENTIONED VOTER ID LAWS. THE VOTING RIGHTS ACT HAD MORE IN PLACE THAN JUST VOTER ID AND YOU FOCUSING ON IT MAKES ME AWARE OF THE FACT THAT YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT IS IN THE VOTING RIGHTS ACT.

How about the districts that get more representation because they have millions of illegal aliens in them? THIS IS CONDESCENDING BECAUSE IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH GERRYMANDERING. PLEASE NOTE THAT I DON'T CONSIDER GERRYMANDERING A GOP ONLY ISSUE THAT THEY DO - DEMOCRATS DO IT TOO AND I DON'T LIKE IT WHEN EITHER PARTY DOES IT I don't see how this is a black issue except illegal aliens create environment issues for all of us. Guess that party is protecting them from deportation? You don't think that blacks and other Americans are losing their jobs to them? I DON'T PARTICULARLY CARE ABOUT ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION. THE GOP ARE THE ONES WHO VALUED BUSINESS OWNERS MAKING MONEY OFF CHEAP LABOR AND SO I FEEL THAT IS YOUR FIGHT TO FIGHT. I DON'T THINK THAT ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS TAKE ANY SUBSTANTIAL AMOUNT OF JOBS FROM BLACK PEOPLE AND ANOTHER BLACK ISSUE OF MINE IS THAT BLACK PEOPLE EDUCATE THEMSELVES OUT OF MENIAL JOBS ON FARMS OR CHICKEN FACTORIES AND LEAVE THOSE TO THE IMMIGRANTS

Why do you take issue with Trump appointing conservative judges? How is that a black issue?

Old 03-15-2020, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmarkblue View Post
Of course. Many are non citizens. Many will no vote. Hispanics don't care about you. Likewise the African and Asian populace. It was better for the American negro to side with Trump who wanted mitigate illegal immigrantion which impacts black Americans. Instead you guys want to preach and do sweet chariot. Yo I need to bring David Caroll in here to school you guys.
I never said that Hispanics or Asians cared about Blacks. I never said they didn't. I wasn't even talking about that. You said the Hispanic vote swung against Blacks. Only 135,000 Hispanics voted in the Georgia gubernatorial election. There are about 933,000 Hispanics in Georgia vs 3.2 million Blacks in Georgia. My point is that the Hispanic vote in the state of Georgia wasn't that significant in terms of the election.

And I think you and David Carroll are wrong in terms of Blacks siding with Trump. Trump is in charge now and Blacks aren't getting that much from Trump. By the way, Blacks are very numerous in states like Alabama and Mississippi, where the population of illegals is markedly lower. When Alabama went hard on illegals, this left farms using PRISON LABOR for picking their crops. Many business owners want cheap labor, and know they won't get it from free American-born people. I'm not going to work on a farm from pennies on the dollar. I'm too smart for that, literally. I went to college, got my degree, and my job involves me being on a computer all day. I don't play that "go picks crops" crap. Neither did my parents.

Once the illegals are gone, alot of employers will go and hire who they prefer. Even in places with few immigrants, Blacks are often the last to be hired and the first to be fired. Black Americans still deal with alot of discrimination in the workforce. The point is, there are individuals, if they were given the choice, would not want to hire Blacks at all.

Trump is no friend of the Black American. Anyone who champions stop and frisk is no friend of the Black man. Any who says things like "I've got black accountants at Trump Castle and at Trump Plaza. Black guys counting my money! I hate it. The only kind of people I want counting my money are short guys wearing yarmulkes.... Those are the only kind of people I want counting my money. Nobody else... Besides that, I tell you something else. I think that's guy's lazy. And it's probably not his fault because laziness is a trait in blacks" is no one a Black man should ever side with.

David Carroll is just an arrogant nutcase who gets joy out of talking down on other Blacks, the way he refers to Blacks as if he isn't one of them. And anyone who refers to Blacks as "you negroes" or "the American negro" is just an arrogant person who looks down on Black Americans. Why else would someone use that terminology?

Old 03-15-2020, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
Checkmarkblue actually makes a good point here. The Jews own just about everything. They own pretty much all of the media.
I don't think so. There are alot of Jewish people working in the media and owning media corporations. To say they own everything is a big stretch. Many Jewish people work in lucrative fields that involve making alot of money. The same is so for some other groups.

Old 03-15-2020, 12:46 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,306,114 times
I mean honestly, as a white conservative, what do you have to offer me as a black person? And I don't mean snarky responses like "pull myself up by my bootstraps." If I'm a poor black person, I don't give a damn about "making my own opportunties", if I'm trying to feed my kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies