Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2020, 06:12 PM

72,978 posts, read 62,563,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
Lately I've been reading about clean energy, water pollution, and the like. As someone who drives a vehicle, I can't be totally opposed to chemical industry. At the same time though, I do wish the metropolitan area that I'm currently in would take a more balanced approach to it.
I started reading about clean energy many years ago. The rise in gas prices made me consider that. I'm not against the oil industry. I just want things to be done better. I do not think it is necessary to get rid of the oil industry. I just don't want to see oil refineries put in residential neighborhoods. I don't want oil to be the only source of fuel that we have. I would like to see biofuels expanded. I think the jobs that come with clean energy could benefit alot of people, Black people especially. I think the air could get cleaner as a result of less dependence on fossil fuels.

Old 02-25-2020, 06:33 PM

28,663 posts, read 18,768,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
This is why more Black people should think about how environmental issues could impact them. The pollution and environmental issues in many inner city areas, and some smaller towns, it's a big factor in illness, rates of cancer, and shortened life expectancies for Black Americans.

Poor Black neighborhoods have the highest cancer risks. This out of St. Louis.
https://news.stlpublicradio.org/post...hoods#stream/0

In Dallas, where did they put the newest landfill? Right in the black neighborhood.

Old 02-25-2020, 08:24 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,553,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
In Dallas, where did they put the newest landfill? Right in the black neighborhood.
Did they? where is that?

Old 02-25-2020, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Did they? where is that?

McComma's Bluff landfill, less than two miles east of Paul Quinn College and immediately beside the creek that winds through the entire area.

Old 02-25-2020, 09:24 PM

72,978 posts, read 62,563,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Sadly, I'm not surprised. This is my opinion on the situation. It is that Blacks, relative to other groups, are viewed as disposable.

Old 02-25-2020, 09:29 PM

3,709 posts, read 4,626,882 times
No, you should continue to vote on the autocratic ticket. You will eventually have total control.

Old 02-25-2020, 09:41 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,723,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
And Republicans don't seem to care much for Blacks at all. In my opinion, it seems like both parties aren't all that good for Black Americans, at this point in time. This is why I am wary of persons who come up with threads like "Blacks love Trump" or "Blacks are ungrateful to Trump" or "why do Blacks vote Democrat so much",etc. Trump won with very little help from Blacks, so why do some Trump supporters care who Blacks support?
Here you go again, the same question every time (your time in the spot light... ^^ loves these kind of threads.

To answer your question AGAIN... people do wonder why you vote faithfully Democrat when nothing really changes, So I throw the question back at ya AGAIN, Why? Can you answer my question as to "Why" this time? Please be specific so we can have a better understanding please.

Last edited by petch751; 02-25-2020 at 11:00 PM..

Old 02-25-2020, 10:12 PM

1,826 posts, read 2,494,119 times
The thing with black Americans that a lot of people don't realize and that most blacks themselves hate to acknowledge is that here in modern times, simply having the same phenotype no longer aligns the interests and values of black people. Poor inner city blacks have different interests than middle class blacks. Upper middle class and rich blacks also have different interests. A well off white-collar black man for the most part couldn't care less about the issues poor black men have with inner city police. This is why there will not be a unified "black" political party nor a president who can do something specifically to benefit blacks as a whole aside from reparations.

Politically you have (mainly poor and working class) blacks hanging on to the romanticized view of a united Black America that existed prior to 1970. The only reason this existed was because it was legally forced to and there was a common oppression that affected ALL Black Americans in Jim Crow. Today there is nothing to force blacks to have a common interest. Why would they? Whites don't. No other group is united by phenotype. Black Americans (especially poorer ones) hate to acknowledge that there is now a class difference among black people in this country.

What keeps many voting Democrat is the long standing perception that Republicans are racist and Democrats are well aware that racism is the one thing that is able to still emotionally trigger most black people today. Though with the power of social media and easy exchange of ideas I see this grip slowly loosening as many are realizing that the Democrats haven't done anything for black people in a very long time. This is why movements like Blexit exist and increasing numbers of black men are interested in voting for Trump and other Republicans. Black women are more difficult to move to the Republican side as black women tend to be the keepers of the race-first ideology of the 1960s and favor the feminist allure of the Democrat Party. I expect less than 5% of them to vote for Trump.

So to answer the question proposed in the thread, in the near term the majority of blacks will continue to vote Democrat as racism is still an emotionally triggering thing to most of the black people who vote. In the long term as more and more black people (particularly black men) become more successful and the Democrat party becomes more hyper-feminist/alternative lifestyle focused, black people will ultimately become integrated into the political system and just split across parties like other groups. The obsession with race is fading among younger millennials and Gen Z black people so it will only be so long that the racism angle can be used to get the black vote as those groups age. At that point the idea of a black-focused political movement will sound as silly as the idea of a white-focused movement.

Old 02-25-2020, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusAV View Post
The thing with black Americans that a lot of people don't realize and that most blacks themselves hate to acknowledge is that here in modern times, simply having the same phenotype no longer aligns the interests and values of black people. Poor inner city blacks have different interests than middle class blacks. Upper middle class and rich blacks also have different interests. A well off white-collar black man for the most part couldn't care less about the issues poor black men have with inner city police. This is why there will not be a unified "black" political party nor a president who can do something specifically to benefit blacks as a whole aside from reparations.

Politically you have (mainly poor and working class) blacks hanging on to the romanticized view of a united Black America that existed prior to 1970. The only reason this existed was because it was legally forced to and there was a common oppression that affected ALL Black Americans in Jim Crow. Today there is nothing to force blacks to have a common interest. Why would they? Whites don't. No other group is united by phenotype. Black Americans (especially poorer ones) hate to acknowledge that there is now a class difference among black people in this country.

What keeps many voting Democrat is the long standing perception that Republicans are racist and Democrats are well aware that racism is the one thing that is able to still emotionally trigger most black people today. Though with the power of social media and easy exchange of ideas I see this grip slowly loosening as many are realizing that the Democrats haven't done anything for black people in a very long time. This is why movements like Blexit exist and increasing numbers of black men are interested in voting for Trump and other Republicans. Black women are more difficult to move to the Republican side as black women tend to be the keepers of the race-first ideology of the 1960s and favor the feminist allure of the Democrat Party. I expect less than 5% of them to vote for Trump.

So to answer the question proposed in the thread, in the near term the majority of blacks will continue to vote Democrat as racism is still an emotionally triggering thing to most of the black people who vote. In the long term as more and more black people (particularly black men) become more successful and the Democrat party becomes more hyper-feminist/alternative lifestyle focused, black people will ultimately become integrated into the political system and just split across parties like other groups. The obsession with race is fading among younger millennials and Gen Z black people so it will only be so long that the racism angle can be used to get the black vote as those groups age. At that point the idea of a black-focused political movement will sound as silly as the idea of a white-focused movement.

The reason why blacks still vote Democratic is because the Republican Party really is filled with anti-black racists who, unlike the spongy racism of Democrats (who simply don't do anything for us), are actually out to get us and consistently work against us.

That's not merely a perception. It's a fact of US society still being under the control of the last generation that was actually raised in racial apartheid. The Boomer generation will be affected by the childhood inculcation of segregation for the rest of our lives.

I, too, expect that to fade among younger millennials and Gen Z only because by the time the millennial generation is fully in power, Boomers will be dead.

Old 02-25-2020, 10:23 PM

3,709 posts, read 4,626,882 times
I wish a Republican presidential candidate would arise to empower all blacks, reminding them that they have all they need to succeed (while endorsing anti-discrimination court actions): talent, intellect, free markets, incredible innovation, unlimited curiosity, free speech, unlimited horizons...

This positive message is profoundly lacking on the airwaves and internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies