Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If you had the chance to vote in 1980 election again who would vote for?
Jimmy Carter 25 18.12%
Ronald Reagan 113 81.88%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2020, 08:51 PM

2,486 posts, read 825,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SystemCar View Post
It wasn't that long ago in the grand scheme.

What are you, 5?
I guarantee Seacove is a young adulterated product of the Federal education system.

We have many in here who have no clue what a clue actually is.

It's a sad thing.

They will, in spite of themselves, tell you what is what.

Again, it's a sad thing.

The frightening thing s that they are probably young adults.

5 would have been a different time when 5 year olds had more common sense.

Common sense is a long gone gig.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2020, 11:26 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,376,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SystemCar View Post
It wasn't that long ago in the grand scheme.

What are you, 5?
40 years is 2 full generations. Those who were born in 1980 grew up and sired the following generation .
People who were 20 in 1980 are now 60. By this coming July, we will be closer to 2050 than 1990.

Yes, in the grand scheme, it WAS that long ago.

Old 02-12-2020, 11:35 PM

3,560 posts, read 1,655,583 times
Why wouldnt everybody have voted for the man that is promising to send Chesterfields to everybody that votes for him? Cause we are all his friends, right?

And of course we will always have a president that looks nice and tidy... cause he can twist it, he can curl it, he can bend it, he can twirl it.... meaning the truth of course.

Old 02-12-2020, 11:51 PM

Actually I voted for Ed Clark, the Libertarian Party candidate in 1980. But dont forget Republican Congressman John Anderson ran as an independent. He was part of that now extinct species, a moderate Republican. Ronald debated him in one national debate that Jimmy Carter declined to participate. Then another debate just Ronald and Jimmy. I think Ronald's idea was that Anderson would take more votes away from Jimmy.

Iranian hostage situation and high interest rates were what did in Jimmy though.

I will say Jimmy was best ex-president by far, no other comes close.

Last edited by HJ99; 02-12-2020 at 11:59 PM..

Old 02-12-2020, 11:57 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,884,675 times
I wasn't old enough to vote in 80, but had I been I would have voted Reagan. Carter the great give away president. For those who wonder why we are stuck giving Israel and Egypt billions every year? James Carter is the reason.

Old 02-13-2020, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
I wasn't old enough to vote in 80, but had I been I would have voted Reagan. Carter the great give away president. For those who wonder why we are stuck giving Israel and Egypt billions every year? James Carter is the reason.

Dont forget Reagan sent US military into Grenada to make world safe for democracy..... that didnt cost anything? Oh he did earn some money selling missles to Iran, remember Iran-Contra scandal? If you want details: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran%E...3Contra_affair

Oh and why didnt Ronald just stop payments to Israel.... oh thats right it would cost votes. Israel has quite the team of lobbyists in Congress. Thats why US taxpayers have to prop up the regime there and its political death to stop that subsidy. Easier to discontinue Social Security and confiscate NRA guns, than to discontinue sending billions to Israel.

Old 02-13-2020, 07:02 AM

6,218 posts, read 7,733,126 times
Reagan, just like I did then.

I grew up in a blue collar, union family in Macomb County, MI. As solidly "blue" as it gets back then, although the parties weren't characterized as "colors" then.

The first general I was eligible to vote in was 1980. I like the rest of the country had had quite enough of the ineptitude, and ineffectiveness, and downright anti American mamby pamby left wing BS of Carter after four years. The Macomb County Republican converts helped push MI to Reagan's column that year.

The Carter administration converted many lifelong, and freshly indoctrinated Democrats like myself, to becoming lifelong Republican voters.

Yep, I voted R in 1980, as soon as I could, and never looked back. Thanks to Carter. The worst POTUS ever, until 0bama.......but even 0bama had eight years to work at it. Carter did the damage in four.

CN

Old 02-13-2020, 07:09 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxmanSneaks View Post
Knowing what we know now if you had a chance to vote in the 1980 election again. Who would vote for Reagan or Carter?
Do you mean the 1976 Republican primary where incumbent Ford beat Reagan and Reagan would have faced off with Carter?

Old 02-13-2020, 07:38 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,220,852 times
I voted for Reagan. I would do it again.

Carter was just unlucky. The second Gas shortage caused by Saudi and friends created the inflationary craziness. The failure of the rescue attempt of the Hostages was the final nail in the coffin.

Old 02-15-2020, 06:28 PM

2,068 posts, read 999,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
Deficits ballooned every year under Reagan, reaching $212 billion in 1986. Apart from that, Reagan didn't actually DO much during his two terms,.

Yep, you are right. Mr. Reagan didn't do much during his two terms. Let's see...

- ended the Cold War
- brought about the collapse of the Soviet Union

- ended double digit inflation
- tore down the Berlin Wall
- ended the monthly air raid drills (where children crouched beneath their desks in their elementary school classrooms waiting for the atom bomb to drop)

Yep, you are right. He didn't actually DO much.

Deficits ballooned during Mr Reagan's two terms because Democrats controlled both chambers of Congress. He submitted a budget to the House each year. Tip O'Neill promptly tossed the budget into the trash bin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies