Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If you had the chance to vote in 1980 election again who would vote for?
Jimmy Carter 25 18.12%
Ronald Reagan 113 81.88%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2020, 01:33 PM

20,861 posts, read 9,524,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInTx View Post
- ended the Cold War
- brought about the collapse of the Soviet Union

- ended double digit inflation
- tore down the Berlin Wall
- ended the monthly air raid drills (where children crouched beneath their desks in their elementary school classrooms waiting for the atom bomb to drop)
Clearly you weren't alive when Reagan was president.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2020, 03:07 PM

120 posts, read 66,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Do you mean the 1976 Republican primary where incumbent Ford beat Reagan and Reagan would have faced off with Carter?
No I meant 1980 ,but that would have been a good question to ask. What if Reagan did win the nomination in 1976?

Old 02-16-2020, 03:13 PM

120 posts, read 66,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Why did you leave out the other candidate?
Oh yeah I forgot that this was a three way race ,but look the poll Reagan is so far ahead. I really don’t think it would have made that much of a difference.

Old 02-16-2020, 03:28 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,009,189 times
Quote:
Yep, you are right. Mr. Reagan didn't do much during his two terms. Let's see...

- ended the Cold War
- brought about the collapse of the Soviet Union

- ended double digit inflation
- tore down the Berlin Wall
- ended the monthly air raid drills (where children crouched beneath their desks in their elementary school classrooms waiting for the atom bomb to drop)

Yep, you are right. He didn't actually DO much.

Deficits ballooned during Mr Reagan's two terms because Democrats controlled both chambers of Congress. He submitted a budget to the House each year. Tip O'Neill promptly tossed the budget into the trash bin.
I would not have voted for Reagan back then, but in retrospect I'd have to say Reagan if only for the winning of the Cold War.

There is a great Wikipedia entry on predictions of the dissolution of the USSR:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Predic...e_Soviet_Union

Reagan was pretty close to being alone in thinking that we could win the cold war.

Quote:
A CIA analyst said that the presentation was fine, but there was no way the Soviet Union was going to break up in his lifetime or his children's lifetime. The analyst's name was Robert Gates.
Gates of course is a very sharp guy who later became CIA director and then SecDef. But Reagan saw what he couldn't. SDI, which played a big role in ending the cold war, was Reagan's personal brain-child. He came up with the idea after watching physicist Edward Teller interviewed on PBS.

We forget that victory in the Cold War meant the end of Iron Curtain bondage for millions. It was nearly of as much significance as the US Civil War.

Old 02-16-2020, 03:28 PM

2,774 posts, read 902,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Jimmy Carter is a good man, but I don't think he was that great a President. At least Reagan provided a much needed morale boost.
I used to think Carter was a good, but naive man. But he has evolved into an angry, bitter anti-semite in his old age.

Old 02-16-2020, 03:30 PM

2,774 posts, read 902,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlongTheI-5 View Post
Jimmy Carter over Reagan but Reagan over anyone who is running now.
You know Carter was an abject failure, don't you?

Old 02-16-2020, 03:33 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,009,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey73 View Post
I used to think Carter was a good, but naive man. But he has evolved into an angry, bitter anti-semite in his old age.
I think Carter was actually a brilliant guy--a nuclear engineer in the Navy, no less. But it goes to show that book-smarts does not always translate into a successful presidency.

Woodrow Wilson was our only PhD president and was a disaster in my view. Reagan and JFK were both indifferent (at best) students in college. Both were better presidents than either Wilson or Carter.

Old 02-16-2020, 07:34 PM

2,068 posts, read 998,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Clearly you weren't alive when Reagan was president.

Clearly this is one of the most ill-informed comments on this thread.

Not only was I alive when Mr Reagan was President, he was the first President for whom I voted.

I read an article in the Economist around the time of his election. It stated that Reagan, unlike his predecessors, would fight the Soviets economically rather than militarily. That prediction certainly worked out.

Old 02-16-2020, 07:37 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,964,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Jimmy Carter is a good man, but I don't think he was that great a President. At least Reagan provided a much needed morale boost.
I had to choose Reagan, but I feel Jimmy Carter is a better man. Being a better man doesn't mean you are a better president. Reagan made a lot of mistakes, but Carter messed with big oil in a time you certainly couldn't do that.

Old 02-16-2020, 08:02 PM

20,861 posts, read 9,524,822 times
Quote:
Clearly this is one of the most ill-informed comments on this thread.

Not only was I alive when Mr Reagan was President, he was the first President for whom I voted.

I read an article in the Economist around the time of his election. It stated that Reagan, unlike his predecessors, would fight the Soviets economically rather than militarily. That prediction certainly worked out.
If you were alive when Reagan was president, you would know that drills with kids in school hiding under their desks from nuclear attacks ended long, long before Reagan came around. I'm not even sure they were still doing that by the mid-60's.

You would also know that Reagan had nothing to do with the fall of the Soviet Union. And it happened after Reagan left anyway. Same with the Berlin Wall.

You would also know that Reagan had absolutely nothing to do with ending inflation. You have the Federal Reserve to thank for that. You would also know that Jimmy Carter was not the cause of high inflation, because that began in the early 70's under Nixon, well before Carter came around. Gerald Ford even went around sometimes with buttons on his jacket saying "Whip Inflation Now."

So quite clearly either you are lying about being alive during that time, or you were so oblivious to what was happening around you, that you remember things that didn't happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies