Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2021, 05:57 PM

1,969 posts, read 676,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Can't find what percentage of un-vaccinated people actually get Covid 19.
No one seems to want to publish that number.
None of these published numbers mean very much. If you get covid and have no symptoms, do you count?

All the people getting tested are in bad shape enough that they are getting medical attention. We have no idea what the real infection rates or the infection-fatality rates are.

Old 08-31-2021, 06:18 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
Rev. Sharpton just mentioned that there are over 100,000 people in the U.S. hospitalised with COVID--more than last January. And other sources report that 90-94% of these folks are unvaccinated. Two issues:

1. I think I may understand why many people are so dismissive about the dangers associated with the virus; being calm is better than running around with your hair on fire. It won't serve any purpose to frighten others, particularly children. And yet, facing unpleasant facts is a requirement of maturity. Some people like to think it's all a hoax--because they can't deal with it?

2. My second psychological inquiry, closely related to the first, is why anybody would refuse to get vaccinated. I can't pretend to understand that.

A lot of folks in hospital, desperately ill with COVID, are reportedly saying they were mistaken and foolish for not having gotten the vaccination (now that it's too late).
"If you say so, Mr. Bond."

I don't necessarily know this, about all these folks in the hospital, desperately ill. I don't know this because apparently to know this, you have to watch the news......and the news has lied so much, I stopped watching them.

Hence, I operate from other standpoints and some of them are probably not scientific at all.....but they work for me. Such as the Star Trek episode "Miri" when they had the vaccine but didn't know the dosage and McCoy says, "Well, we know the disease is fatal enough!".

Sounds good to me and when my CMO made the vaccines available, I trusted him and signed right up.

There are several reasons why I wear a mask daily. I pay a local seamstress to make them for me, so I am supporting others in this employment troubled time. It plays to my inner cowgirl. It brings cheer to others as I am wearing ones like teddy bears with pink and blue ribbons. I care about my health and the health of others. It gives me calm in these times........

.......but that's just me, someone who believes in unicorns and dragons.

Old 08-31-2021, 06:39 PM

5,517 posts, read 2,405,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
so, what is the value in calling it a "horse dewormer"?
I don't know, I've never called it that.

Quote:

Does that do anything to advance the understanding, reach compromise and agreement, push us down the path to "controlling" Covid?

No, it doesn't.

Does that pre-print just released say it works in vitro (in the lab)? Yes, it does. Is that worth pursuing? Absolutely!
Sure but people want to point to this and say that this IS evidence that it works.

Quote:
I wouldn't have a problem with temporary halts to issuing Ivermectin and HCQ OTC/at the livestock store, if doctors were allowed to use their knowledge and patient relationship where they believed it would help - which means an educated opinion and an informed choice by the patient via prescription.
Many doctors have already given their patients Ivermectin with no success.

Quote:
But the attacks on proven and generally-safe medications we've seen for almost 18 months - do y'all really think people give a **** when you turn around now and call them killers and spreaders for not agreeing to YOUR "cure"?
There is no cure. And there are no attacks on Ivermectin. What we have is a bunch of Ivermectinista's pushing their misinformation and quackery on why they think Ivermectin is an effective treatment against COVID.

Old 08-31-2021, 06:45 PM

5,517 posts, read 2,405,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Well, let's not forget about the placebo effect. It's real. If they truly believe something is helping them, it may.

My husband believes he stays healthy because of his morning grapefruit. I'm not going to argue. He is healthy.
The problem is when we have a Joe schmo believing that because he took x treatment or eats x food and it works for them that they claim this is evidence for the effectiveness of that treatment, supplement, food etc.

Old 08-31-2021, 06:53 PM

35,070 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
There is no "back to normal" in the sense of living like COVID-19 never happened. What's normal now is regular COVID boosters and wearing masks in public. That's how we live with this virus circulating.
Maybe you, not me.
I split the difference. Vaccinated now. Will take boosters when available Masks only when required or at a mass event. Then it's a N-95. Not the paper diapers or muzzles.

Old 08-31-2021, 07:25 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,946,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Flu vaccines work to prevent large scale outbreaks. It's not a difficult concept to understand. School flu "vacations" were common in the past, not anymore.

Your argument about the vaccines is essentially the same as that of the anti-maskers. "No mask is 100%, hence masks don't work at all and should not be used".
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Yes, it should when there is a large outbreak, because the main purpose is source control (assuming you are talking about masks at the moment)
I was talking about the vaccines that you compared to the anti-mask argument. Point is with vaccines, it is not "should not be used", it is "should not be mandated".

The mask argument is useless. Very few used them correctly anyway and when they are home, they are done with them. Two different controls.

Old 08-31-2021, 07:34 PM

193 posts, read 145,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Don't use the logic route with this bunch. They have been glued to fear media for two years now.
Exactly. I (23M) did get the Pfizer vaccine to appease my older family members, but I lived and traveled mask free the entire time since May 2020 when I was allowed to again, way before the vaccines were even available. Never once got infected, unless I was asymptomatic.

Seeing these people still living this way, planning to never leave the house without a mask on for the rest of their lives, is absolutely devastating. I will never be participating in that madness.

Old 08-31-2021, 08:16 PM

3,082 posts, read 1,545,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
so, what is the value in calling it a "horse dewormer"?

Does that do anything to advance the understanding, reach compromise and agreement, push us down the path to "controlling" Covid?

No, it doesn't.

Does that pre-print just released say it works in vitro (in the lab)? Yes, it does. Is that worth pursuing? Absolutely!

I wouldn't have a problem with temporary halts to issuing Ivermectin and HCQ OTC/at the livestock store, if doctors were allowed to use their knowledge and patient relationship where they believed it would help - which means an educated opinion and an informed choice by the patient via prescription.

But the attacks on proven and generally-safe medications we've seen for almost 18 months - do y'all really think people give a **** when you turn around now and call them killers and spreaders for not agreeing to YOUR "cure"?
well I and alot of horse owners would have a big problem with idiot stores refusing to let us buy wormer for our horses! What the heck? Punish the animals cause some humans cant read a label and realize that many horse wormers are a mix of ivermectin and another wormer. I'm so fed up with people!

Old 09-01-2021, 12:02 AM

108 posts, read 49,247 times
It is really quite simple: even if 100% take the vaccine and all the boosters, EVERYONE will still at some point have at least one and most likely multiple cases of covid over their lifetime with varying degrees of severity. This is an endemic virus that will never go away. You cant run from it forever.

Look at Australia and New Zealand. Even they have covid cases despite all the extreme measures they have taken. Singapore with an 80% vax rate has given up on ever getting to zero covid. Australia recently has taken a similar stance to Singapore.

Zero covid is impossible. Nothing we do will change that. All we are doing is delaying the inevitable and prolonging the suffering. But the virus is political and virus measures are all meant to show our loyalty to the state.

Whats the point to fighting a battle that is impossible to be won? This is another endless war like Afghanistan where there are big profits to be made.

Old 09-01-2021, 01:00 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
QAnon Anti-Vaxxer who claimed to be the first person to call COVID-12 a hoax has died from it:
https://www.vice.com/en/article/93yj...ed-functioning

He looked overweight.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 09-01-2021 at 01:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies