Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2021, 10:50 AM

50,316 posts, read 47,056,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
You're doing this to yourself. Live your life. If you trust the vaccine, why are you still shut in? If you don't trust it, why did you get it?
Don't use the logic route with this bunch. They have been glued to fear media for two years now.

Old 08-31-2021, 10:59 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
How many people have died from cancer, heart disease, flu, old age, accidental drowning, car accidents, slip and falls in same time frame?

As Mark twain said:
"The Fear of Death follows from the Fear of Life
A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any moment"
I do agree with the quote...and at the same time there are a lot of people whistling their way past the graveyard - yes, both can be true and avoiding easily avoidable risks isn't wrong or fearing life OR fearing death.

In terms of all the other deaths that have occurred...so what? Those were all predictable from the standpoint that they were accounted for by known issues - not by a new strain of flu.

In recent months have we come up with new, novel ways to prevent cancer, drowning, falls and the like? Because we HAVE with covid and the Covid vaccine. Both the disease and the vaccine are highly notable and highly novel. I do hope people aren't diving into water of unknown depths or smoking but frankly, most of that is old news and is "baseline" at this point.

Old 08-31-2021, 11:07 AM

5,517 posts, read 2,406,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
It's apparently on the WHO list of essential medicines. So, it seems some humans somewhere are taking it.
It's a great medicine. Just no clear evidence it works for COVID.

Old 08-31-2021, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I don’t know if this is sarcasm but if not it’s completely false. Ivermectin has no effect on reducing length of COVID illness:

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...rticle/2777389

Ivermectin has no effect on preventing hospitalization:

https://bmcinfectdis.biomedcentral.c...79-021-06348-5
I was being sarcastic. Thanks for the links. Here we have two HIGH quality RCT's that the Ivermectinista's refuse to acknowledge.

Old 08-31-2021, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Flu vaccine is very ineffective, just like the covid vaccine. https://www.cochrane.org/news/featur...uenza-vaccines
Your link that has the studies says it does reduce the risk. Where does it show it's ineffective? If it was ineffective there would be no reduction in risk.

Old 08-31-2021, 11:39 AM

17,426 posts, read 14,650,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
Your link that has the studies says it does reduce the risk. Where does it show it's ineffective? If it was ineffective there would be no reduction in risk.
The flu vaccine's effectiveness varies from year to year - it depends on whether or not they match the vaccine to whatever virus is circulating that particular season.

Some years it works. Sometimes, not so much.

Old 08-31-2021, 11:41 AM

4,413 posts, read 3,473,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
That makes no sense. I think it's irresponsible if not evil to encourage an elderly person, particularly one with health issues to begin with, to "get out there." Or shame them by insisting they're being cowardly.

There were 75 COVID hospitalizations FRIDAY, in just one day, in my town. Surely caution is in order here. No amount of bravado or attempts at logical-sounding semantics will affect this virus in the slightest.

Shaming?

Evil?

Interesting. I don't know how that was either, but ok. My father's friend and his wife are both in their 70s and she is immunocompromised with a very rare illness. Very politically liberal. And basically they are living by the philosophy I just described. I just spoke to the guy about it over the weekend. He said they are getting out now because they have been vaccinated and it's time.

Old 08-31-2021, 11:43 AM

703 posts, read 446,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helo View Post
Are you that "out of the loop" to not know what is going on?

No I'm perfectly in the loop thanks but what I see here is some people desperately trying to avoid the reality that if we don't show a high degree of responsibility to our fellow human beings by doing all we can to help and protect one another by taking all self evident measures to tackle this pandemic then it will simply get worse and more potentially vaccine resistant strains will emerge. I just don't get it. It would worry the life out of me if I insisted on my rights to not wear a mask and then take the virus home to my parents who may well die from it. Crazy.

Old 08-31-2021, 11:56 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,845,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
Really off topic but my uncle had some wounds that wouldn't heal on his toes, had taken lots of medicines and someone recommended some topical ointment usually used on horses. He took it and the wounds healed. They were talking about amputation before this.
There is a topical version of ivermectin for human use. A friend on it notes that it’s annoyingly expensive compared to the nearly identical livestock version.

I actually find it really interesting when off label use turns out to have some really out there results like how Botox ended up being a useful migraine treatment or the glaucoma drug that makes your eyelashes look amazing.

I just have deep concerns about the rush to see ivermectin as this year’s miracle when we don’t have what I see as good evidence for that and how it’s being pushed as an alternative to vaccination when it should be explored as a treatment for breakthrough cases

Old 08-31-2021, 12:01 PM

4,004 posts, read 2,083,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I do agree with the quote...and at the same time there are a lot of people whistling their way past the graveyard - yes, both can be true and avoiding easily avoidable risks isn't wrong or fearing life OR fearing death.

In terms of all the other deaths that have occurred...so what? Those were all predictable from the standpoint that they were accounted for by known issues - not by a new strain of flu.

In recent months have we come up with new, novel ways to prevent cancer, drowning, falls and the like? Because we HAVE with covid and the Covid vaccine. Both the disease and the vaccine are highly notable and highly novel. I do hope people aren't diving into water of unknown depths or smoking but frankly, most of that is old news and is "baseline" at this point.
And so what for all our inevitable deaths, unless they have invented a ‘live forever’ pill but we don’t know about it yet because it’s still in the trial phase.

Most of our ancestors lived by the Golden Rule - when the good Lord wants me, he’s going to take me. When did we lose that logic and succumb to hysteria & fear?

John Lennon said, “Life is what happens while you’re busy making other plans.”

Also, author unknown - “Man plans God laughs.”

Man has survived not by freezing in place, nor by cackling in fear.”

Man accepts the situation and adapts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies