Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2020, 06:44 PM

17,441 posts, read 14,675,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Until all is said and done, and we have actual numbers, the experts are saying it is 20 times more lethal than influenza. From what I have seen of the numbers, that varies greatly based upon age and health. 80 and older? 15% fatality. Under 20? Zero fatality.

Still, it is human nature. Everyone will shrug at the danger unless healthy people under the age of 40 start dying. Actually *if* is more accurate.
My point is, is that it's way to early in the game to say what the actual numbers are.

Also, what experts are saying that it's 20 times more lethal than the flu?

Old 03-02-2020, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Nope. It was a complete sentence from Pence. Look for yourself.

Mike Pence for Congress
Here's the full quote. But you know that. You're being intentionally misleading

Quote:
Despite the hysteria from the political class and the media, smoking doesn't kill. In fact, 2 out of every three smokers does not die from a smoking related illness and 9 out of ten smokers do not contract lung cancer. This is not to say that smoking is good for you.... news flash: smoking is not good for you. If you are reading this article through the blue haze of cigarette smoke you should quit.

Old 03-02-2020, 06:50 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,233,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Yep. One of these Republicans in the House is a very senior politician, Kevin McCarthy of Bakersfield, who's the Minority Leader in the House.

At least in California, I'd never underestimate the GOP's ability to shoot themselves in the foot politically. Heck, McCarthy went along with the limitation of SALT deductions on Federal taxes, a move which was highly unpopular, and partly resulted in the GOP losing a lot of seats in California, including those in Orange County, once called "Reagan Country".
I still can’t believe that they managed to get run completely outta Orange County. That’s unfathomable to me. That’s akin to Democrats being completely run out of Metropolitan NYC...it’s not even possible if you were just looking at raw numbers.

Yet, it happened. I just can’t process it. Orange County....Nixon, Reagan and John Wayne country. How TF did they do that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Nancy lives there in wealthy Pacific Heights..(SF) ...so...when is the last time she walked the dirty streets, needle infested and slum tent-cities of LA? What are the odds her "people of California" living in tents get the coronavirus?
San Francisco has its own issues. LA isn’t her district.

Your district has problems too. Want her to walk your streets too?

16,956 posts, read 16,768,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
So his job is to say the same things as a Kindergarten teacher?

Was it his job and Boltons to do away with the epidemic and pandemic national response planning?

He himself said his job was much bigger than you did...he said he has been doing a fantastic job stopping the Virus from coming here. Don't you believe him?

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/tr...pandemic-team/

"Did Trump Fire the US Pandemic Response Team?"
TRUE.......

Now, of course we know you are going to vote for Trump. That's fine and dandy. But at the same time have some basic reason and logic. Trump cut out many of the resources we SHOULD have to deal with this. Trump was ineffective at his claim - stopping it early.

Whether or not this think kills 10's of thousands here his total response and getting rid of those agencies and his budget cuts will go down in history as a avoidable debacle.

At least have the decency to see what is right and what is wrong. It's wrong to cut health care - and, speaking of that, millions of Americans have been thrown off health insurance (and therefore care) since he took office.

Is that his job also?

Given your love for 5 word slogans, my 3 year old could be POTUS.
Once again, Trump is DEAD ON correct that the Democrats want to politicize this and turn on their pretty hate machine.

They really want to love him, like a fat kid loves cake.

How about we all remain calm and work together on finding a cure. I am sure most Dem's would prefer burning buildings, looting, stealing other people's bottles of water and Charmin toilet tissue, extra soft, whining, crying. kicking the ground in anger and saying the WORLD is coming to an end! Oh God let's spend our last days in Hawaii!

How about we make some hot chocolate and sip over a warm fire, discussing our fears. Stop the blame!

38,496 posts, read 25,839,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Sure. Post them.

My numbers on the seasonal flu and are from the CDC.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden...-estimates.htm

COVID 19 numbers are from Johns Hopkins.

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/a...23467b48e9ecf6

Post yours.
Allow me to post more concise information for you to facilitate your understanding.

Quote:
Christopher Mores, a global health professor at George Washington University, helped make sense of some figures. He calculated the average, 10-year mortality rate for flu using CDC data and found it was 0.1%. That 0.1% rate is frequently cited among experts, including Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases.
Quote:
According to statistics released Feb. 17 by the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, the mortality rate for coronavirus was 2.3%. That’s based on cases reported through Feb. 11 and calculated by dividing the numbers of coronavirus-related deaths at the time (1,023) by the number of the confirmed cases (44,672) of the coronavirus.
'

In An Exchange About Coronavirus, Homeland Security Chief Gets Flu Mortality Rate Wrong

4,195 posts, read 1,603,111 times
i just wish everything was as simple as good/bad politics..the truth is we live in a fuzzy world and don't even know ALL the ramifications of our actions ever hear the phrase GET REAL!

Old 03-02-2020, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Here's the full quote. But you know that. You're being intentionally misleading

10 to 15 percent of smokers develop lung cancer — the other smokers die of other smoking-related causes like heart disease, stroke or emphysema.

Old 03-02-2020, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Allow me to post more concise information for you to facilitate your understanding.

'

In An Exchange About Coronavirus, Homeland Security Chief Gets Flu Mortality Rate Wrong
Please tell me how that seasonal flu morality rate is calculated.

Because it's not calculated by confirmed cases like that COVID-19 number is.

Do some critical thinking if you can.

Old 03-02-2020, 06:55 PM

48,540 posts, read 34,904,021 times
Quote:
My point is, is that it's way to early in the game to say what the actual numbers are.

Also, what experts are saying that it's 20 times more lethal than the flu?

I'll have to go look it up. I DO believe it is lower than the numbers we have to work with, because many are asymptomatic and many with mild cases do not go to the doctor. But wouldn't that also hold mostly true for influenza? That data is extrapolated from known cases. Heck, we have had a bad flu season... could it have been covid? I am wracking my brain trying to remember if they tested me at urgent care when I had pneumonia. I was sick enough, and busy moving 2500 miles with two dogs that that detail is lost in the fog.

Italy is doing way, way, way more testing then we are and their rate is 3%.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-02-2020, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Please tell me how that seasonal flu morality rate is calculated.

Because it's not calculated by confirmed cases like that COVID-19 number is.

Do some critical thinking if you can.
Are you a researcher at the CDC or the NIH?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies