Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2020, 02:51 PM

8,502 posts, read 3,346,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
From the White House today:

Kellyanne Conway: “This has been contained because the president took action."

From Epidemiologist Marc Lipsitch, director of Harvard's Center for Communicable Disease Dynamics

“In the US it is the opposite of contained."

Let's see - who should we believe?
I wish they would realize statements like that just make this worse. We (well speaking for a portion of the US) know Trump is a blithering idiot but he should have the sense to just stay quiet because everything that comes out of his mouth creates anxiety - that is, in anyone who doesn't take what he says as gospel.

For example, we're all agreeing here that the United States can't begin to handle this as expeditiously as China - that that isn't reality even if a President tried to order it up. And then along comes Kellyanne. Sit down and shut up. Please.

Pence did fine last night. He reported the number of test kits. Not good news, but it is what it is. He didn't spin (that I heard) just reported. Good to see and hear from him.

Old 03-06-2020, 02:52 PM

15,534 posts, read 10,510,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Then don't listen.

There is no way the hospital have the ability to test everybody who shows Respiratory symptoms. Not in China, not in S Korean, not in anywhere on earth.

I posted "everyone", I never said "no one should"
No, no, I want to listen, I find your posts fascinating and good.

Old 03-06-2020, 02:56 PM

39,230 posts, read 27,623,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
No, no, I want to listen, I find your posts fascinating and good.
Okay, apologize for the misunderstanding.

What my uncle told me (and I will try to be as clear as possible), is that there is no way the hospital WILL test everybody who shows Respiratory symptoms. we do not have the ability to do so and the doctors are telling you the truth. Will we test more people now? Yes. Do we have the ability to test more people now? That depends on the number.

Some posters here seem to believe we should test everybody who shows respiratory symptoms. This will never happen.

For example, i've been coughing for a month. Do I go to the hospital to test for Covid-19? No. I managed my symptoms well at home and i stayed home, so I don't give whatever I have to anybody else.

Plus, get to know your own body. If you have seasonal allergy, then your symptoms are probably just that, allergy; I have throat infection every winter after I threw up (posted the details in my other post), so this time is no difference. I am not going to think I got Covid-19 or rush to the hospital demanding a test.

What I did is that I told everybody not to come to my house and I stayed home.

Old 03-06-2020, 02:56 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,812,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
I hear you and I'm just back now from buying more paper plates. We may need to have separate food service. Covid-19 spread on the Diamond Princess because of lax procedures. There are layers of complexity, however, that the over-generalized guidance doesn't begin to address. For example, if DD isn't to take the subway I drive her. Enclosed space is prime infection territory.

No doubt there are many families or households or even friends that plan on continued contact where there are widely varying levels of risk within the group. This spreads through chains. What person A does impacts person C through person B. I don't think folks begin to appreciate the possible social difficulties that may arise.

This just ain't as simple as saying: stay away from sick people (who's sick?) and wash your hands. The bottom line is that folks will have to figure this out for themselves - depending on their personal risk tolerance and the consequences of a 'fail.' For example, a 55 yo diabetic without life insurance (hypothetical this) who is still supporting a family will have less tolerance for a risk than a 22 yo not wanting to give up a trip or a 90 yo who may well adopt a fatalistic attitude. Risk tolerance will also depend on how well the medical system is holding up - TBD.
I completely agree. It’s up to each person to assess their risk and act accordingly. And it’s up to their family members to support and respect their decisions. I had a friend call me today furious because her DIL took her toddler with a runny nose and fever to see my friends elderly, frail mother in her nursing home. Not ok given my friend had sent the entire family emails about not visiting if they or their kids were sick. And that was before coronavirus was a thing. Some people have zero sense and need someone else to knock some into their heads!

Old 03-06-2020, 02:58 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Okay, apologize for the misunderstanding.

What my uncle told me (and I will try to be as clear as possible), is that there is no way the hospital WILL test everybody who shows Respiratory symptoms. we do not have the ability to do so and the doctors are telling you the truth. Will we test more people now? Yes.

Some posters here seem to believe we should test everybody who shows respiratory symptoms. This will never happen.

No, we shouldn't test everyone. Right now? I have a dry hacking cough. But that's it. I'm certainly not going ask for a test for covid19.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-06-2020, 02:59 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,685,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
Pence did fine last night. He reported the number of test kits. Not good news, but it is what it is. He didn't spin (that I heard) just reported. Good to see and hear from him.
The problems with "corrections" after the initial news is the old saying "a lie makes it 1/2 way around the world before the truth gets a block away"

The original statements were told, broadcasts, released, disseminated, etc.

The corrections are generally not....as widely. Therefore, it ends up fitting the idea that lying or misleading pays off politically and otherwise. Might as well give the best news possible if everyone later says "well, they told the truth now and that's great"....but it doesn't change the facts.

Old 03-06-2020, 03:03 PM

39,230 posts, read 27,623,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
No, we shouldn't test everyone. Right now? I have a dry hacking cough. But that's it. I'm certainly not going ask for a test for covid19.
Right.

Old 03-06-2020, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
I completely agree. It’s up to each person to assess their risk and act accordingly. And it’s up to their family members to support and respect their decisions. I had a friend call me today furious because her DIL took her toddler with a runny nose and fever to see my friends elderly, frail mother in her nursing home. Not ok given my friend had sent the entire family emails about not visiting if they or their kids were sick. And that was before coronavirus was a thing. Some people have zero sense and need someone else to knock some into their heads!
Hmmm....you perfectly illustrate why people CANNOT use responsibility and individual actions to contain something like this.

First you say it's up to each person.

Then you note how many have zero sense.

It can never be both. The guy in NY that infected a couple dozen is a highly educated lawyer who knew about the virus. Should we think that 320 Million Americans will "act accordingly" and things turn out better?

The answer is simple. NO. Not even close. Many people will lose their jobs if they don't show up at work - maybe their houses or their cars (payments) and they have been going to work sick for 10 years or more. Do we really expect millions of such people to "self-access"?

Whatever happened to this amazing cell phone emergency thing that the Admin set up. If I could make a suggestion, I'd say a nice one page PDF should be created with the basic information about what to do and the link sent to every single American through that and other means.

You and I may be sitting here researching and talking about the best practice - but that means nothing to those who are busy from dawn til dusk trying to make ends meet...and many millions of others.

The first thing to do is get people on the same page. The admin, with Kelly Anne, Kudlow and Trump etc. are doing anything but....

Old 03-06-2020, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
That goes for any infection. Only those in serious conditions go to the doctor/hospital.
The rest....they just stay home til they feel better.

And yes, that goes for the seasonal flu as well.
In my experience the Flu knocks you down into bed pretty quickly.

I'm told that CV may not do so....and, we KNOW that people can spread it for many days after they feel sick. You are not addressing reality.

Obviously someone who is choking on their own mucus is going to go the hospital and maybe be quarantined. But is someone with a moderate cold? Of course not....and many cases of CV are closer to the later.

Sorry, it's different.

Old 03-06-2020, 03:11 PM

8,502 posts, read 3,346,263 times
Quote:
The problems with "corrections" after the initial news is the old saying "a lie makes it 1/2 way around the world before the truth gets a block away"

The original statements were told, broadcasts, released, disseminated, etc.

The corrections are generally not....as widely. Therefore, it ends up fitting the idea that lying or misleading pays off politically and otherwise. Might as well give the best news possible if everyone later says "well, they told the truth now and that's great"....but it doesn't change the facts.
Part of the problem is knowledge of the epidemiology of covid-19 itself is 'changing' as more information comes from China (most recently from last week's China-WHO Joint Commission Report). Some of what medical authorities (even 'experts') expected does not to appear to be the case (again always subject to change).

What Trump will do is to take the version he likes best ... say 'he's talked to the experts' ... and repeat what becomes disinformation. His supporters then come up with quotes now outdated to support Trump. This matters because whatever actions may be taken in the future might find more support and be more effective if we are operating from common understandings. Pie in the sky, that.

Quote:
The first thing to do is get people on the same page. The admin, with Kelly Anne, Kudlow and Trump etc. are doing anything but....
That's it precisely. It's discouraging. Try to plan, prepare well at home ... then dial them up and hear nonsense. We can't do this alone ... the States can't ... Congress alone cannot ... the medical and public health establish will be overwhelmed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies