Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2020, 08:33 AM

34,232 posts, read 18,584,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
What is the lie?

The constant Media panic and over reaction. When this is all over, I hope you remember the over reaction and see what the actual death toll was, especially in the U.S. Just wait.

Old 03-11-2020, 08:34 AM

25,744 posts, read 12,824,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
So what part did he lie about. He didnt say we have 80,000 dying from the flu, he said a bad season is 80,000, and we had that in 2018.

https://www.statnews.com/2018/09/26/...deaths-winter/

He said so far theres about 18,000 deaths this season from flu. This article says 20,000 so far. So he was close enough there, so he didnt lie about that.

https://www.advisory.com/daily-brief.../10/flu-update
I was thinking the same, so thx for your post. I think what he is saying is accurate.

Overall, coronovirus has not been as lethal as flu THUS FAR. We still have time to take action to make certain it stays that way, and we should be doing so.

For seniors and sick people, I am NOT a proponent as business as usual, and go about your lives as normal.

I think those 65+ should self-quarrantine as much as possible until the vaccine is readily available, and that could be a year or so, from what I've read. Don't play Russian Roulette with this...3% is a high death rate.

If you are 65+, and/or have other illnesses, stay at home as much as possible. Avoid contact with others.

If you are younger and get it, self-quarrantine for 14 days, to avoid contaminating others.

Old 03-11-2020, 08:34 AM

3,841 posts, read 1,979,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I’m not coming down on you so don’t take my post that way.

OF COURSE people are selfish and only concerned about themselves and money. Showing up to work sick is nothing new. People have been exposing others to their sickness for ages. And let’s not forget those employers who make it next to impossible for the sick to stay the hell home.

“You get 5 days a year, no exceptions!”

I remember one lady when I worked for a cruise line (corporate), who was forced to come in for an entire week after using up her time, spreading her nastiness everywhere (in an office where we couldn’t open the windows, we got to breathe recycled air. That’s right, her sickness was recycled into the entire office building).

Her coughs were so deep and downright disgusting - and I mean everyone cringed every single time she went on yet another coughing fit (literally had one every 2-5 minutes all. day. long. for 8 fricken hours) that travel agents on the other end of the phone started complaining. ONLY then did the company work something out and allowed her to go home for as many days as she needed, according to her doctor.

It should not be a surprise that people will still go to work nor self quarantine. They haven’t done it with the flu, pneumonia, bronchitis, mono, etc. Why would they start now?

The reality is: Most people are selfish, and most pigs have better hygiene than most people. It’s time for people to face this.

Stop living like filthy pigs. Wash your damn hands, cover your GD mouth and nose when you sneeze and/or cough, but not with your fricken hands that you’re about to use to open a door, WASH YOUR FRICKEN HANDS FFS WASH THEM - appropriately. Running your hands under the faucet is not “appropriately”.

It’s ridiculous that grown adults have to be told this every damn year.

(All general ‘you’ not towards the poster quoted.)

I completely agree with you. The fact that this was a DOCTOR really blew my mind though... I really do find it funny that people ae walking around acting like washing hands is a new novelty. Its so scary.

Old 03-11-2020, 08:37 AM

39,232 posts, read 27,611,062 times
I don't know anybody wash hands as frequent as my uncle does because he is an emergency room doctor, but just washing hands is not enough. I would have to say right now, I try to avoid as many people as possible. I don't believe people's better angel in their nature when it comes to public health.

Old 03-11-2020, 08:38 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,874,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
The constant Media panic and over reaction. When this is all over, I hope you remember the over reaction and see what the actual death toll was, especially in the U.S. Just wait.
It's going to be worse here than in China or Italy because those two countries were willing to take drastic measures to try to contain it. We will do nothing of the sort here, so it will continue to spread unabated.

Old 03-11-2020, 08:38 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,659,169 times
Make sure you're taking enough Vit D. I take 5000 IU/day and have for years. Recent published study said it's fine to take even up to 50,000/day (I wouldn't personally do that much). This goes to pumping up your immune system. Of course, discuss w/ your doctor, but many aren't that well versed as to dosage to keep your levels up. Adequate fluids, lots of vegies and fruits

I'm personally avoiding crowds, but I've always done that, just more so. I shop in the early am, store is empty, but avoiding places of congestion w/ people. For people that must be in contact, try to keep more distance, wash hands (have sanitizer in your pocket), etc.

There are herbs that can improve immune functioning, too. https://www.gaiaherbs.com/blogs/seed...-immune-health

Here's a long study (if you want to read that much) about Vit. C, Echinacea, Vit. D and Zinc and their role together in fighting the common cold by helping the immune system. I have zinc lozengers at home, along w/ Echinacea. You can't wait till your sick. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5949172/

Last edited by Nanny Goat; 03-11-2020 at 08:52 AM..

Old 03-11-2020, 08:39 AM

3,841 posts, read 1,979,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Lisanicole, that’s not self quarantine, jerks like him will keep spreading this virus around. I’ve been mentioned my husband have been self quarantined, not because we have the virus, it because we did travel and have no idea if we caught something somewhere, we could be a spreader with no symptoms, so that’s why we’ve been staying home much more than we like. I refused to shake doctor’s hand and he said I was paranoid. I now practice what Prince Charles does, namaste acknowledgment.
I think a DOCTOR whom has been know to be exposed and showing symptoms for 2 weeks and who had just been tested hours before would be SMART ENOUGH to self quarantine until results came in. Its not like meeting attorneys was a life and death matter. It could have easily been postponed or done over the phone. Not to mention, even if its "just the flu", people should not be out that sick! Our own selfish attitudes is what will eventually take us down.

Old 03-11-2020, 08:39 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Seems DC is on the same page that they must “ do something” to stimulate the economy and do it quickly.

Many Republicans and most Democrats do not favor a Payroll Tax freeze. It does not do anything for the self employed or those who do not have a sick time benefit and are unable to isolate. Then there’s the pesky matter of how to make up the shortfall.

If the Federal Government is into buying votes, why not an Andrew Young type Freedom Dividend, $x for everyone for x time. It’s a simple giveaway - no BS.

Old 03-11-2020, 08:40 AM

25,744 posts, read 12,824,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_N_1962 View Post
The media wants to tank the economy to get trump out....sick ****s
This goes without saying, and 2ndly, the huge media corporations want to make Billions selling advertising while consumers are tuning in for every coronovirus update.

They are fear mongering for these 2 purposes. Politics, and money, and I'm not sure which is #1 to them.

That being said, 3% death rate is high, and we need to take proper precautions, especially seniors, and people who have medical conditions that could make them especially vulnerable.

I'm not 60+, and do not have any medical issues, but I'm limiting my time away from home anyways. When I go out, its to stock up on supplies.

Old 03-11-2020, 08:41 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepie2000 View Post
Did it occur to anyone that maybe this pandemic is real and the media is trying to get people to take it seriously?
No one is saying to NOT take it seriously.

But so far the flu is much worse, but receives little attention. Mortality rates are low.

Politicizing it to harm Trump is a bit much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.