Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2020, 09:31 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,246,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Likely true. We still dont know if this virus will act seasonally, like the flu. If this is the case, it will buy us more time to get a vaccination approved. I highly doubt there will be approval before the next flu season starts, but at least it will quell the spread until then.
A seasonal break would be more important for preparing for what will come in the fall. In the 1918 epidemic it killed a lot of people in the first wave then waned with warmer weather and came back with a vengeance in the fall. That could well be the pattern here. We need to use the summer to greatly increase beds for so-called mild cases, stock up on needed medical supplies, and prepare plans for lockdowns and isolation. With the Trump administration what we are more likely to see is a bunch of declarations of how the president single-handedly stopped this thing, how it was hoax just like he said, a big tax cut for the rich to try to bump up the markets before the election, and little to no preparation for the return of the virus.

Old 03-11-2020, 09:31 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,572,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
+1. Trump calling coronavirus a "hoax" and "fake news" is the worst display of bad presidential leadership this nation has ever seen.
the nation never saw that because it didn't happen

Old 03-11-2020, 09:32 AM

10,513 posts, read 5,169,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Why would you advocate using the power of government to further terrorize that segment of our population even further. They already know their particular risks. You act like the elderly are stupid.

I don't think a common sense public reminder to avoid air travel is a heavy-handed use of power, it doesn't "terrorize" anyone, and it doesn't insult anyone's intelligence. But that's just how I see it.

Old 03-11-2020, 09:33 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,876,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergun View Post
I can’t help but to find it sad that any American... Especially the ones who hate Trump soooo much that they are fine with the stock market and the US/Global economy are crashing. Please tell me that we Americans are not that stupid, as a collective, to be happy that Trump’s or whomever’s economy is exploding all around us.
Well, there is no need to read any further than this. Step out of your Fox News echo chamber and come out here into the real world, where people are very worried as they watch their 401(k)s tanking, threatening their future financial security. Who in their right mind believes they are happy about that?

In answer to your bolded statement above, no, Americans as a whole are not stupid, therefore they are not cheering their own demise. That's just a ridiculous Trump talking point, and one that is incredibly stupid. People don't hope and pray to become destitute in a crashed economy. Only Trump Americans are stupid enough to believe that.

And as you appear to be among that group, carry on. No one will convince you otherwise. Cultists cannot be reasoned with.

Old 03-11-2020, 09:33 AM

2,400 posts, read 755,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Trying to wrap my brain around this: a CDC whistleblower went to the AP and told them that the CDC had prepared a report discouraging elderly and frail people from flying because of the dangers of Corona but the WH scotched that part of the report by ordering it to be removed. Why???? Why would the administration deliberately take an action that could potentially harm tens of thousands of our most vulnerable citizens???

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireSt...s-fly-69462660
Another fking whistleblower giving half the story again? They need to start locking these jerks up.

Old 03-11-2020, 09:35 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,214,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Are you saying he is acting like a spoiled child? Please tell me I am missing something!!!

jjrose: what has he lied about? And gives us your source.
"Anyone that want's a test can have one" Trumps own words
According to Pence 1M tests are available. Briefing yesterday
Yet a man in the hospital with a confirmed case said his wife still hasn't been tested. Interview of patient in GA

"The cases are going down, not up" Trumps own words
That's not the case https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#repro

"The number of cases will be zero in a couple of days" Trumps own words on Feb 26th
We can see that has not happened.

Old 03-11-2020, 09:35 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,256,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
A seasonal break would be more important for preparing for what will come in the fall. In the 1918 epidemic it killed a lot of people in the first wave then waned with warmer weather and came back with a vengeance in the fall. That could well be the pattern here. We need to use the summer to greatly increase beds for so-called mild cases, stock up on needed medical supplies, and prepare plans for lockdowns and isolation. With the Trump administration what we are more likely to see is a bunch of declarations of how the president single-handedly stopped this thing, how it was hoax just like he said, a big tax cut for the rich to try to bump up the markets before the election, and little to no preparation for the return of the virus.
As to the first part of your post, EXACTLY!

As to the second part, I dont think it is helpful politicizing this virus. I don’t expect the politicians to remain apolitical about this (or anything else for that matter), but you almost cant blame them when we, the citizens, are encouraging it.

Old 03-11-2020, 09:36 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,572,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
You left out the part that caused the issues he is having.

1) Trump says stupid stuff like "Its ok to go to work while sick with Coronavirus" or It will end by April believe me
false. never happened.

Quote:
2) Trump made several cuts to the CDC and other response agencies 1 year prior why? (Obama's name was on it?) and there are reports he muzzles experts that disagreed with him
false again.

Quote:
3) CDC poor response to test kit development makes the entire Executive branch headed by the President look bad.
define 'poor response'

Quote:
4) Trump nor Pence (Head of the effort) has explained why the CDC had to develop their own kit instead of using the WHO kit the rest of the world is using. This has lead to more panic and complaints than expected because healthcare professionals cannot test or do screening at the mass level needed to head off more potential spread
agreed, they should explain their reasoning

Quote:
5) From the Public's view Trump had no interest in Coronavirus spread until the Stock Market started to response. In other words there was no concern for citizen safety or health, just shareholder value and stock volume.
agreed, that's how it appeared whether it was actually the case or not

20,955 posts, read 5,547,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
Dead certain: whatever Trump does, the sorry left will find some way to accuse him of something.
Ego odi ergo sum. (Pardon rough translation: "I hate, therefore I am".

23,988 posts, read 15,091,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I was thinking the same, so thx for your post. I think what he is saying is accurate.

Overall, coronovirus has not been as lethal as flu THUS FAR. We still have time to take action to make certain it stays that way, and we should be doing so.

For seniors and sick people, I am NOT a proponent as business as usual, and go about your lives as normal.

I think those 65+ should self-quarrantine as much as possible until the vaccine is readily available, and that could be a year or so, from what I've read. Don't play Russian Roulette with this...3% is a high death rate.

If you are 65+, and/or have other illnesses, stay at home as much as possible. Avoid contact with others.

If you are younger and get it, self-quarrantine for 14 days, to avoid contaminating others.
The problem with corona is like many other diseases. During that incubation period, when you don't even know you have been exposed, you are passing it on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.