Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2020, 09:12 AM

989 posts, read 457,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
This is pretty much how I live my life anyway. Sometimes I can’t avoid the crowds, but for convenience reasons, I go out when most people are home.

Problem is now that more will be doing that, completely destroying the point of doing so.

As for vitamin D, my doc said just 10 minutes a day of sunlight was enough (when I tested too low in 2016 - cause of that whole “avoiding people” thing). But people should be able to just stand in their yard or just out the front door of their apartment building for 10 minutes or so and get their necessary levels. Or was my doc wrong about 10 minutes in the sun?

Also, I’ve let people have it when they hack away with their mouths wide open as they come towards me. Perhaps it’s time for people to stop being silent and give them hell. Not just because of this thing, but because they can spread nasty crap any time.

I wrote about the petri dish experiment we did in science class in 8th grade. If everyone had done that in school, no one would be silent when an open mouthed cougher or sneezer who blasts their snot particles everywhere walks by.

Time to be quiet and nice has been over. Shame those pigs.

Vitamin D: Your doctor *could* be wrong. Depends.

The farther north of the equator that you live limits how much sun is beneficial. If you in North Carolina or above, the 10-15 minute exposure rule only works from like May through September. After that, the strength and angle of the sun are not sufficient to have your skin produce vitamin D.

If you are a darker skinned individual, your body will produce even less Vitamin D.

And oddly, hygiene impacts Vitamin D production. You manufacture it just under the surface of the skin. You can interfere with that process by showering/bathing.

I believe it's very unlikely that *most* people can efficiently get enough Vitamin D outside of the summer months. If you live on the equator, though, it's a very different story.

Last edited by ToyVW55; 03-11-2020 at 10:01 AM..

Old 03-11-2020, 09:13 AM

15,552 posts, read 10,541,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post
I understand that but this DR was not working. He was going to a law firm with 60 employees for a personal matter. He sat across from my husband for 30 minutes without even telling him that he was possibly putting him at risk. I have already said if this DR tests positive and my family gets it I will be on the NEWS calling this DR out for his irresponsible, reckless behavior. What a loser.
Perhaps you can sue him, that would get people's attention.

Old 03-11-2020, 09:13 AM

25,637 posts, read 17,373,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
If only 1% of the population becomes infected, our health care system will be overwhelmed.

Yikes!
Yeah, we know where the hospital is, and my doctor lives nearby, but I kind of think we may be on our own.
I'm 74 and in great shape, but it is what it is. At some point I will be exposed, like it or not. We all will be.

Old 03-11-2020, 09:15 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,892,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Option 1:
Trump closes borders and orders wide spread quarantines.
Leftists whine that he's a racist and trampling on civil liberties

Option 2:
Trump takes more measured approach as to not incite panic
Leftists whine that Trump doesn't understand the problem and is incompetent.

The games continue, meanwhile the media pours gasoline on a smoldering fire, and the stock market keeps crashing.
The fire isn't smoldering, Beer, it's taking off, and is about to be out of control. No media coverage or non-coverage is going to change that at this point. That horse has already left the barn.

We need a president who is capable of sounding sane and concerned, one who will put his reelection aside for now and deal with the crisis at hand. But putting himself aside for the greater good is definitely beyond this man's ability. It's always, and only, ME ME ME with this president.

Old 03-11-2020, 09:15 AM

25,637 posts, read 17,373,200 times
The Jackals continue to howl.
The claim he is childish and is lying but cannot tell us how and why.
We don't really care. Their hyper-criticism and damaged them more than it has Trump.

MAGA

Old 03-11-2020, 09:16 AM

10,512 posts, read 5,184,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
He wins by being an adult during a crisis and not acting like a spoiled child.
+1. Trump calling coronavirus a "hoax" and "fake news" is the worst display of bad presidential leadership this nation has ever seen.

This health emergency has proved one thing: Donald Trump is completely incapable and unable to provide mature and level-headed leadership in a time of national crisis. He can't do it. He knows it too, that's why he handed it off to Pence and went golfing.

Old 03-11-2020, 09:16 AM

5,206 posts, read 4,683,482 times
Maybe if Trump or his supporters can ever comprehend coronavirus isn't a political issue...

Old 03-11-2020, 09:17 AM

51,671 posts, read 25,908,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
The fire isn't smoldering, Beer, it's taking off, and is about to be out of control. No media coverage or non-coverage is going to change that at this point. That horse has already left the barn.

We need a president who is capable of sounding sane and concerned, one who will put his reelection aside for now and deal with the crisis at hand. But putting himself aside for the greater good is definitely beyond this man's ability. It's always, and only, ME ME ME with this president.
Indeed.

This is one of the few crisis situations that Trump didn't create out of thin air, huff and puff for a time, then announce he'd solved the crisis. The one that didn't exist in the first place.

Old 03-11-2020, 09:19 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,836,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post

Conservatives are still in denial about the coronavirus. Is it the black plague? Probably not but it's certainly far more than the flu and this country is woefully under-prepared.

Trump and conservatives will be rightly blamed for mishandling this crisis.

Old 03-11-2020, 09:20 AM

30,351 posts, read 23,817,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyVW55 View Post
Vitamin D: You're doctor *could* be wrong. Depends.

The farther north of the equator that you live limits how much sun is beneficial. If you in North Carolina or above, the 10-15 minute exposure rule only works from like May through September. After that, the strength and angle of the sun are not sufficient to have your skin produce vitamin D.

If you are a darker skinned individual, your body will produce even less Vitamin D.

And oddly, hygiene impacts Vitamin D production. You manufacture it just under the surface of the skin. You can interfere with that process by showering/bathing.

I believe it's very unlikely that *most* people can efficiently get enough Vitamin D outside of the summer months. If you live on the equator, though, it's a very different story.
Good to know. I’m ridiculously light skinned, but was in CA at the time. However, I’m more north now on the east coast and the area doesn’t have as much sun as Cali. Guess I’ll have to be out longer then. My dog will be happy about that.

Thanks for the “rest of the story” as Paul Harvey used to say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies