Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2020, 10:39 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post

Why would he provide 100's of billions in arms to the Saudis? Is that an "American" thing to do....or a deep state thing? Why would he give them access to nuke technology?

Obama/biden gave SA billions in weapons sales too... Clinton/Gore gave Iran and NK nuke technology...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2020, 10:39 AM

1,186 posts, read 966,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
+1. This is how the wealthy elite maintain their grip on power. They donate to Republicans and they donate to Democratic centrists, thus hedging their bets and are happy no matter who wins the general. The wealthy don't mind Democratic centrists because they know they will pay lip service to Democratic ideals while not rocking the boat for the wealthy. The Clintons perfected this.

As a progressive I held my nose and voted Hillary and it looks like I'll have to hold my nose again and vote for Joe. The only benefit of a Biden administration is that he is not Trump. I have zero expectation that anything meaningful towards progressive causes will happen under Joe -- even if both chambers of Congress turn blue.

These are exactly my sentiments. Look at Biden's voting record, of course he'll reach across the aisle because most of his centrist policies align with the Republican Party's interests. His voting record is barely in alignment with supposed Democratic principles, much less progressive ones. His current campaign page speaks differently, but I'm more likely to trust someone's record in the Senate than what they pay lip service to during a campaign.

I don't agree with all of Bernie's policies, but I admire his relative consistency in them and I don't think he's likely to blindside anyone by flip-flopping after being elected. With Biden and Hillary in 2016 and Obama before that it seemed like they were just paying lip-service to progressive principles while their actions effectively maintained the status-quo. I don't even think Biden and the other moderates would be bothering to maintain a progressive facade if it weren't for Bernie's political movement pushing many Democrat voters towards the left in recent years.

The only reason I would consider voting Biden would be the Supreme Court, although I have little confidence in his recommendation of a nominee. I would like to see a qualified nominee on the court so it's just a question of who is more likely to appoint one a qualified one who will be unencumbered by political ideology.

Old 03-05-2020, 10:41 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
liberals want two classes... the liberal elite masters, and the poor serfs who survive on the scraps of welfare
You need to explain it a bit differently. If this were true why would a guy like Bloomberg pass a extra tax on the rich (himself) in NYC.

No doubt Trump fancies himself as a NYC Limo Liberal.....the type of which I tend to detest. But how you associate his type with we garden variety liberals is beyond me.

You know that Trump forces any of the help with brown skin, etc. from his Golf Clubs not to be in sight when he is there? Why would anyone but a total elite do this? Answer: They wouldn't. You have to be very far out of the real world to want to hide that brown people work at your club.

Scraps of Welfare? So you are saying the most liberal states like MA.....with the higher per-capita incomes....have the largest welfare rolls?

Nope - that would be WV......

You are simply wrong but at this point I don't think that is going to change. Just the ripping of health care from millions should indicate to you what the GOP thinks of the average poor person.

Old 03-05-2020, 10:41 AM

588 posts, read 225,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Biden is not in good health, if he doesn't step down because of health issues Clinton may have him assassinated. People don't realize that JFK was assassinated by the deep state not by Lee Harvey Oswald, his gun is not capable of shooting JFK from that distance.
I don't want to get into an argument over who killed JFK but the gun allegedly used by Oswald was easily within range. Its not even close to being out of the range of the gun or round.

Old 03-05-2020, 10:43 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
One of the most underappreciated aspects of American politics in the postwar period is that the two parties have swapped places geographically.

The Northeast is now Democratic, and the South is now Republican. The West Coast is now Democratic, and increasingly the Great Lakes region is Republican.

The only region to have stayed the same is the Great Plains, which has always been Republican.

That's setting the stage for my bigger point: the party that the rich people consider their home is at an electoral disadvantage. Rich people are not liked, they try to control everything, and they are few in number. That's a lethal combination in a democracy.

Fifty years ago this establishment was part of the Republican party, and the Republicans suffered electorally for it. The Democrats were the upstart party of the people; the Republicans were the party of the wealthy stiffs.

Along with the geographical swap, the national establishment has also swapped parties. Most rich people are in the Northeast and West Coast, and they constitute the national establishment.

The Democrats will be burdened for decades with an overbearing establishment controlling the party. The Democratic agenda will gradually become dominated by elite interests.

The Republicans, abandoned by the wealthy, will have more leeway to create policies that are popular.

It's really pretty amazing how this has all transpired.
If you think about it, the Dems are still the party of the slave owners.

Old 03-05-2020, 10:43 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
Obama/biden gave SA billions in weapons sales too... Clinton/Gore gave Iran and NK nuke technology...
Not the point. Not even relevant.

We were told above that Trump was NOT into the deep state stuff and into the Military Industrial Complex and the billionaires and the international money scene...

But he is. In fact, much more than most since his PERSONAL money is tied up in that stuff.

"What about" doesn't work, my friend, because the thread title and the subject is specifically claiming that Trump is somewhat better or different.

My claim is that he is worse...much worse...for the working man....

Old 03-05-2020, 10:44 AM

11,988 posts, read 5,294,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by osu1978 View Post
I don't want to get into an argument over who killed JFK but the gun allegedly used by Oswald was easily within range. Its not even close to being out of the range of the gun or round.
Nor was it a particularly difficult shot.

Old 03-05-2020, 10:47 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,456,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
While your goal maybe to defeat Trump. Your biggest enemy is not Trump but the establishment owned by the oligarchs. ...
The irony of this post is astonishing.

Old 03-05-2020, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
You need to explain it a bit differently. If this were true why would a guy like Bloomberg pass a extra tax on the rich (himself) in NYC.

No doubt Trump fancies himself as a NYC Limo Liberal.....the type of which I tend to detest. But how you associate his type with we garden variety liberals is beyond me.

You know that Trump forces any of the help with brown skin, etc. from his Golf Clubs not to be in sight when he is there? Why would anyone but a total elite do this? Answer: They wouldn't. You have to be very far out of the real world to want to hide that brown people work at your club.

Scraps of Welfare? So you are saying the most liberal states like MA.....with the higher per-capita incomes....have the largest welfare rolls?

Nope - that would be WV......

You are simply wrong but at this point I don't think that is going to change. Just the ripping of health care from millions should indicate to you what the GOP thinks of the average poor person.
actually the biggest welfare state...is the biggest population state...Califonia

Old 03-05-2020, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladlensky View Post
I don't agree with all of Bernie's policies, but I admire his relative consistency in them and I don't think he's likely to blindside anyone by flip-flopping after being elected. With Biden and Hillary in 2016 and Obama before that it seemed like they were just paying lip-service to progressive principles while their actions effectively maintained the status-quo. I don't even think Biden and the other moderates would be bothering to maintain a progressive facade if it weren't for Bernie's political movement pushing many Democrat voters towards the left in recent years.

Bernie has been bought and sold...

think about it..Bernie "we need to audit the fed".... then drops it like a hot potato.... yep bought and sold
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies