Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2020, 08:08 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I'll give you an example of an employee trying to do the right thing, and being scolded for it. We had a customer who returned 7 of the same item, one after another, claiming they did not work properly. Each time, we gave him a brand new replacement. After the 7th one, the manager told him "There has to be something wrong because 7 in a row can't be all bad, so I really can not keep giving you new ones."

The customer left, called the home office, and they immediately called the store manager, told him to call the customer, apologize, give him a new item, and a $25 gift card for his inconvenience. Here, the manager was trying to do the right thing for the company, and he got his ears pinned back over it. He said " In the future, I don't care if they come in and return a hundred of some item, I will never say no again !"

Companies will always take the side of a customer, regardless of how dedicated or right the employee may be. Companies demand total loyalty from the employee, but do not return that favor ever.
Might have been a bad lot or it was used incorrectly. I don't know. That said, that case was not race driven situation, this is. As I said, if it was framed the same way as the reports that caused the manager to be fired because he helped a racist guest, I highly doubt the company would do much other than say "We'll look into it." With the way the U.S. is, there is no reason the company should give into racists period. Putting customer first or not. Hell I know managers that don't believe the customer is always right when it comes to fraud.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2020, 08:08 AM

89,059 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru5555 View Post
The PIAAC results don’t remotely claim that this is because of “political-correctness”; that’s your talking-point.
That's because the PIAAC test measures only a symptom of the US's decline in the quality of education, much like running a fever is only a symptom of a bacterial/viral infection.

Old 03-09-2020, 08:16 AM

89,059 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
IF this was a case of a customer disliking blacks and being a bigot to the point of not wanting a black to touch a plate with food that the customer would be eating, then the only thing I have to say is . . .

I honestly did not know that people like that still existed in the U.S., and if they do, then I think that they should be encouraged to put themselves in permanent solitary confinement somewhere.

And as far as whether the manager should have been fired if the italicized was indeed the long and short of it -- well, I am not sure -- but I think she should have shown the customer the door. (And then she might have been fired in that case, also.)
If the account of the incident as told is true (and it looks like there's witness corroboration), the manager should have told the customer that dining at their establishment (Olive Garden, in this case) means accepting that any or all of the staff will contribute to that dining experience, and if that was unacceptable to the customer they are free to choose a different dining establishment. Better way to handle it than just kicking the customers out or acquiescing to their irrational demand.

Old 03-09-2020, 08:53 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
There are all kinds of racists, though. Several different types are regulars in this forum, many right here in this thread, "entertaining" us with their gaslighting and obfuscation of their true beliefs.
"You don't agree with me? You must be a racist."

Old 03-09-2020, 08:56 AM

17,804 posts, read 13,708,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
So, it's hearsay.
LOL. You don't give up easily do you.

But since we are going to speculate on what REALLY happened here...this is my theory.

Lady comes in the day after she is the victim of an armed robbery.

Perpetrators of armed robbery are black and are female.

Lady is traumatized and decides to relieve her trauma by going to her FAVORITE restaurant. Olive Garden.

16 year old African American waitress comes up to table. Lady can't be sure that the waitress isn't one of the people involved in the armed robbery from the previous night.

Lady gets agitated and asks for the manager to get a different waitress who is not black.

It could be something as simple as that.

Old 03-09-2020, 09:03 AM

37,982 posts, read 22,167,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
If the customer is racist, they’re not right.
Agreed!

However, if a black couple sat down at a table and demanded a black server, would the manger have been fired? Would it have even made the news? I seriously doubt it.

Old 03-09-2020, 01:16 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
If the account of the incident as told is true (and it looks like there's witness corroboration), the manager should have told the customer that dining at their establishment (Olive Garden, in this case) means accepting that any or all of the staff will contribute to that dining experience, and if that was unacceptable to the customer they are free to choose a different dining establishment. Better way to handle it than just kicking the customers out or acquiescing to their irrational demand.
And others say the manager shouldn't have been fired because he was letting the customer be always right. I personally agree with you but the reality is that the company might have played that card of the manager didn't say the customer is always right. I would hope the company would say thank but doesn't look into due to racism but many companies just look at the negative feedback as being an employee issue not a customer issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies