Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2020, 07:40 PM

30,075 posts, read 18,678,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
I would say the same thing if the customer had requested a black server.. “customer is always right”..even if the customer is a jerk...

Business know their success depends on the happiness of their customer...

https://www.fox5ny.com/news/olive-ga...er-worker-says
Yep- those are the type of customers you don’t want.

In the past, we would occasionally have patients who asked for “the white doc” in our practice. We would tell new patients who they saw was random; those who did not like that were dismissed.

There is no place for such nonsense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2020, 09:27 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,956,191 times
Quote:
I would say the same thing if the customer had requested a black server.. “customer is always right”..even if the customer is a jerk...

You've clearly never worked in customer service if you still believe that phrase. I can't tell you how many times I've had customers ask me to do things that would have gotten me fired if I had done them.

Old 03-07-2020, 09:33 PM

8,506 posts, read 4,750,085 times
Why is OP relying on a NY source for a FL incident?

Old 03-07-2020, 10:29 PM

29,522 posts, read 22,674,035 times
As I stated before, Olive Garden conducted an investigation, and eyewitnesses corroborated what happened.

Just because there was no video, doesn't mean it didn't happen. Simple research online would have shown this.

Indiana Olive Garden manager accused of discrimination no longer works for company

Quote:
Several Facebook posts corroborated her account of what happened.

"A few white people come in (and) says that they refuse service from a 'colored' server and asks to speak with the manager," wrote Maxwell Robbins, who told the Courier & Press he went to dinner at the restaurant around 5:30 p.m. "The manager without hesitation ensures that they will not receive service from a person of color."

Old 03-07-2020, 10:50 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
As I stated before, Olive Garden conducted an investigation, and eyewitnesses corroborated what happened.

Just because there was no video, doesn't mean it didn't happen. Simple research online would have shown this.

Indiana Olive Garden manager accused of discrimination no longer works for company
So, it's hearsay.

Old 03-07-2020, 11:08 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,119,845 times
Quote:
With all due respect I don’t think I’m wrong. For example My son and I sell and install pullout shelves for cabinetry. Let’s say a customer calls me for an estimate to install shelves and I show up with a black employee. Together We measure all the cabinetry and give a price thats agreed upon. Before we leave the homeowner pulls me aside and tells me that they do not want any black workers in their home. I may not like it and think the owners are jerks. However As a small business owner I can’t afford to leave thousands of dollars on the table.

Sorry but sometimes that’s the way of the real world “customer is always right”...even if they’re jerks.
Heres to hoping that employee calls you out online and you pay with your business. All because one customer was “right”.

Old 03-07-2020, 11:11 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,727,753 times
Quote:

No ethical business needs customers who act like that.

Old 03-08-2020, 12:16 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Heres to hoping that employee calls you out online and you pay with your business. All because one customer was “right”.
That's really the issue these days. The internet and things spread like wildfire on it especially racism, sexism is a brand nightmare. Do you want tobe known as the guy who was complicit to one bigot and have tons of people know it not just on yelp, Google or Facebook or **** off a bigot by not being bought by the mighty dollar?

Old 03-08-2020, 12:23 AM

89,061 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
on this point, I'm pretty sure they came out with demographic info of voters after 2016. It's not hard to find educational attainment. of course, I don't think I'd be arguing with chop about education.
Education does not necessarily equal intelligence. This is how we know:

Quote:
"This exam [OECD's PIAAC], given in 23 countries, assessed the thinking abilities and workplace skills of adults. It focused on literacy, math and technological problem-solving. The goal was to figure out how prepared people are to work in a complex, modern society. And U.S. millennials performed horribly...

But surely America’s brightest were on top?

Nope.

U.S. millennials with master’s degrees and doctorates did better than their peers in only three countries, Ireland, Poland and Spain...The ETS study noted that a decade ago the skill level of American adults was judged mediocre. “Now it is below even that.” So Millennials are falling even further behind.

Top-scoring US millennials – the 90th percentile on the PIAAC test – were at the bottom internationally, ranking higher only than their peers in Spain. The bottom scorers (10th percentile) also lagged behind their peers."
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...foreign-peers/

How is it even possible that the US adults are at or near the bottom, comparatively, in literacy, math, and technological problem-solving? Even our most educated and highest-scoring are at the bottom. Our entire education system, pre-K through post-grad, has been severely dumbed-down to accommodate political correctness.

Old 03-08-2020, 12:27 AM

3,321 posts, read 1,101,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Education does not necessarily equal intelligence. This is how we know:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...foreign-peers/

How is it even possible that the US adults are at or near the bottom, comparatively, in literacy, math, and technological problem-solving? Even our most educated and highest-scoring are at the bottom. Our entire education system, pre-K through post-grad, has been severely dumbed-down to accommodate political correctness.
Hurr-durr, correlation is not causation.

Prove that “our entire education system...has been severely dumbed-down to accommodate political correctness”.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies