Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2020, 08:41 AM

638 posts, read 240,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Breaking: Mitch McConnell calls the proposed democratic coronavirus bill an "ideological wish list."

That list from democrats includes:

- free coronavirus testing
- paid emergency medical leave
- extended unemployment insurance
- food assistance
- help for health care workers.

Anyone who still supports the republican party at this point should be pointed at and laughed at.

https://twitter.com/carlquintanilla/...00590330347520
And what else did the Democrats ask for????

Old 03-12-2020, 08:42 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,835,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
Yea, heaven forbid that we help deal with an emergent health crisis that is wrecking the economy by ensuring people are able to put food on the table if they stay home to get it contained without first tabulating the cost. We can gift trillions supporting the MIC and on corporate tax giveaways but spending a small fraction of that amount to (literally) save lives during a national health emergency? GOP takes a hard pass.
Seems that way

Old 03-12-2020, 08:42 AM

27,578 posts, read 28,680,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Look at the stock market. Down another 2000 points. They are not sharing your euphoria. Funny none of the Trumpers mention the stock market anymore.
There isn't much that the President can do when a global virus crashes the stock market.

It is depressing but you just have to ride it out.

Old 03-12-2020, 08:44 AM

989 posts, read 456,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
There isn't much that a President can do when a global virus crashes the stock market.

I do think some better leadership and messaging and response from the United States could quell some of the crash.

39,230 posts, read 27,618,080 times
Quote:
There isn't much that the President can do when a global virus crashes the stock market.

yeah, and eventually (who knows how long), when the pandemic is over, stock market will go up.

10,098 posts, read 4,091,461 times
Quote:

I really would not put it past evil racist totalitarian China to have released the disease to damage Trump, due to how he hurt them economically with tariffs and so they try to effect our elections.

Old 03-12-2020, 08:46 AM

39,230 posts, read 27,618,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyVW55 View Post
I do think some better leadership and messaging and response from the United States could quell some of the crash.
small change here and there maybe, but overall, this pandemic will crash global economy.

Old 03-12-2020, 08:46 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,252,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I was talking yesterday about the thought that the government could take steps to nudge employers whose attendance policies will cause workers to go in even if they're sick... Then I read on the news that Congress already tried pretty much EXACTLY what I was thinking of, and the Republicans already shot it down.

OK then.

The problem is, CV-19 isn't the only thing that will give you a cough. And I know that people are not going to risk losing their jobs at worst, and their pay at least, over every sniffle that comes along during this time-frame. Putting myself in their shoes, remembering when I used to go to work sick because my sick days had to be held in reserve for when (not if) my small children got sick back then, as small children often do... If I were in that situation and also had to worry about their schools closing? Yeah, I'd be going to work. I'm just lucky now that I have a job that isn't like that and my kids are older. But I remember what it was like.

In order to get people to really heed that and stay home, employers SHOULD ease up their sick policies at this time. But will they? Without Uncle Sam telling them to? I have my doubts. Some will. Plenty won't.
And I responded to your post as I will again. Small businesses, which employ most Americans, simply can not afford to expand sick leave pay to all those who are going to need it. They do not have the capital on hand to pay that and will not have money coming in without workers and contracts. Simply ordering them to do so, would put them out of business and there would be no sick pay and no jobs to come back to when this all ends. Small business owners (employers) need relief too. Relief does not mean SBA loans. That is just more debt on the ledger. Ideally, the government pays them to pay their employees. Debt of course, but we could set up a national trust fund and borrow at what are basically "free money" rates with a tax to pay it back when the crisis passes.

Old 03-12-2020, 08:47 AM

10,513 posts, read 5,169,235 times
Is there a scientific, medical or fact-based reason for exempting the U.K. from the European travel ban? Or is this a backhanded swipe by Trump at the EU?

Old 03-12-2020, 08:54 AM

30,172 posts, read 11,809,456 times
Quote:

The stock market looks at the economic impact of the virus.

Its down today and yesterday because there is no coherent economic strategy to deal with the virus. The travel ban compounds that. And that is on Trump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies