Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2020, 10:23 AM

39,310 posts, read 27,684,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoy64 View Post
Yea...I'm up in Los Angeles and you can easily find street parking in Santa Monica which is a novelty. I guess there a some perks. This will pass but it has me on edge....I worry about my elderly parents with health issues and my sisters with auto-immune disorders. They are back in KY and I have been pleading with them to just take the simple measures offered by the CDC.
I hear you.

one friend of mine is a typical blue collar worker. His boss issued facemask and gloves, and hand sanitizer everywhere in his warehouse. If you are sick, they send you home, and your pay is covered.

I have a large group of people, most work at home now. people are paying attention and this is a good thing.

At the end of the day, I doubt anywhere in the world would be as bad as italy.

Old 03-14-2020, 10:23 AM

43,283 posts, read 18,419,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
And if we had acted three months earlier we might not be looking at the number of fatalities we are facing here.

China was dealing with an unknown. We, on the other hand, saw what was happening there back in December and still did nothing.

Which country is more inept--one that is struggling with something no one has ever seen before and falls behind in what they could have/should have done because they simply didn't know, or a country that had a three month lead time and did absolutely nothing to prepare?
I think Italy's numbers provided a wake up call with all the rash of cancellations and closures announced the past couple of days.

Old 03-14-2020, 10:24 AM

20,838 posts, read 17,142,084 times
Most hospitals are giving the same restrictions for patients are testing, are rule out and who are positive to prevent a patient transition to positive status. These include isolation, closed door, mask and gown and eye protection. Those who are having respiratory treatments personnel use full head respiratory air flow protection.

Testing only guides risks of contagion.

Old 03-14-2020, 10:24 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,863,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Your diatribe against Trump is irrelevant and specious. Testing is not the issue. Contagion risk is.
Contagion risk for what? If we do not know what we are dealing with, how do we know how to contain it. Clue:... testing!

Old 03-14-2020, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
We need to flatten the curve. We do that by testing and knowing where the virus is spreading the most rapidly, so we can try to contain those areas swiftly. Without testing, that is almost impossible to do.
If containment is used correctly it will stop the spread. Testing is a nice statistical action but it does nothing for treatment. Testing is not the issue.

Old 03-14-2020, 10:26 AM

25,456 posts, read 9,845,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Contagion risk for what? If we do not know what we are dealing with, how do we know how to contain it. Clue:... testing!
Exactly. It's like saying only 2 have tested positive when you've only tested 10. We'll only know the true numbers when everyone who needs testing is tested. Even then, of course, there will be carriers who are asymptomatic.

Old 03-14-2020, 10:27 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,747,876 times
Quote:
Testing is not the issue, it does not adjust treatment, only risks of contagion.
Get a clue. Seriously. As said earlier in this thread, we have a family member that is an EMT in another state with a lot of seniors. A senior living in assisted living gets sick, they call for EMTs who take them to the hospital. The senior can't get tested. The assisted living facility won't take the senior back without a clean test. The senior becomes homeless. This is insane.

Don't say lack of available testing is not an issue. It is an issue. And the family member is now getting sick but can't get tested. And he's a first responder and in the military reserves (although drill was canceled).

Stop being so eager to defend Trump that reality is obscured. Trump has been lying for weeks about the availability for testing. Trump has said anyone that wants a test, gets a test. That is a lie. It's not true.

Quote:
If containment is used correctly it will stop the spread. Testing is a nice statistical action but it does nothing for treatment. Testing is not the issue.
How can one self isolate if the inability to prove they aren't sick means they become homeless? Hmm? Where does a sick senior go if their assisted living facility won't take them back because the hospital wouldn't test them but they are clearly sick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
We already know what we are dealing with. Containment works. You don't require any test to do that. Blaming Trump for the lack of a test is simply non sense. Containment in the United States has a 7.1 per million Italy is 242 per million. You can thank the national leadership for that.

25,947 posts, read 24,782,593 times
I am afraid many people don't realize the risk, yet, thus putting everyone at risk. Way too many people are still outside, in groups even, instead of isolating themselves at home as recommended.

Old 03-14-2020, 10:28 AM

39,310 posts, read 27,684,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I am afraid many people don't realize the risk, yet, thus putting everyone at risk. Way too many people are still outside, in groups even, instead of isolating themselves at home as recommended.
yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies