Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2020, 08:50 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,739,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastletonSnob1 View Post
A new law was passed saying that people who take ADHD meds have to visit a doctor every 3 months to get their meds.

Why does the healthcare system make people jump through hoops to get the stuff they need?

My mom says my insurance might not cover all the doctor visits, so we might have to pay for my meds out of pocket.

The American healthcare system is a joke.
As a person who has ADHD, I think I can safely weigh in. Every drug used to treat ADHD some formulation of Amphetamine. Amphetamines' street drug name is Speed. They are a stimulant and a controlled substance for a reason. Overuse stresses the heart and leads to early death. So the rules on prescribing amphetamines are:
  1. To keep people from just selling them on the street.
  2. To make sure that the patient's heart is not at risk by the use of the drug.

As for the American healthcare system, there's a lot of warts. A lot, a lot. It needs fixing. There's two ways of tackling it. We could move towards a single-payer socialized medical system. These systems do indeed cover everyone but they have significant flaws. The other suggestion is to increase competition. One of the big problems with the status quo is that certain insurance companies are virtual monopolies, allowing them to price-gouge like crazy. Whichever direction we go, the medical community needs to be audited. For example, it would cost me $358 to fill my ADHD prescription without insurance, and that's for the generic. I suspect that the RX companies are making the stuff for pennies per pill, so their profit margin is insane. Abuses of consumers like that have been talked about for decades but nobody seems to be willing to actually do anything substantial about any of it. Safe to assume that RX companies are donating lots of money to the political campaigns of the people who actually can do something.

Last edited by godofthunder9010; 03-14-2020 at 09:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2020, 08:54 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,226,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
You get disability for ADHD and you're complaining??????

So you pretty much get everything free. Please. Most others have to pay out the backside.

If you have to ask Mom about everything, you probably dont really know anything about healthcare.
there seems to be vast misinformation from the OP, or our system is REALLY messed up. On the one hand, he's a dependent of his mother. On the other, he's talking about getting disability and Medicaid solo.

Old 03-14-2020, 08:58 AM

340 posts, read 266,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
there seems to be vast misinformation from the OP, or our system is REALLY messed up. On the one hand, he's a dependent of his mother. On the other, he's talking about getting disability and Medicaid solo.
I already said I didn't really need Medicaid, but I got turned down by THREE healthcare providers, and only Medicaid would take me.

Old 03-14-2020, 09:08 AM

31,086 posts, read 22,101,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Private insurance is more bureaucratic than Medicare.
Its all bureucratic and a ripoff.

I have been without health insurance for a year now. My Doctor and Dentist give me a break for paying cash/debit. When I called in and told them I need an extension on Meds and don't have insurance, and can't afford to come in, they asked if I have had any side affects, and when I replied "I havent" they renewed my prescription.

As someone who is relatively healthy I probably won't sign up for health Care except some low cost Catastrophic program. The same applies for most healthy people across the country.

Old 03-14-2020, 09:11 AM

4,661 posts, read 1,955,210 times
Quote:
Also, I got turned down by THREE healthcare companies. I had to sign up for Medicaid to get disability. My mom says I don't really need the money, but only Medicaid would take me.

I heard that if you earn too much, you can lose your disability.

The healthcare system in America is a complete joke.
ok your original complaint was that now that the law is changed you are afraid your insurance won't cover visits every 3 months. You say here you have Medicaid. Don't worry it then as Medicaid will indeed cover visits every 3 months. It's annoying but as others have said there are many people who have to go every month to renew their prescriptions. This isn't done out of the system being bad its because people abused the system and were obtaining medications they would then sell illegally. Leading to an increase in the drug epidemic. As for working too much and losing your disability, yes that can happen. But think about it if you are able to work that much you are not disabled and should not be getting disability.

Old 03-14-2020, 09:15 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,576,634 times
The healtcare system does suck. It is the only retail/consumer industry where the consumer doesn't know the price of service until weeks after the service has been rendered. No other area in commerce operates that way. In the normal world, you have a price list and you can shop around BEFORE accepting the service.

Old 03-14-2020, 09:15 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
I already said I didn't really need Medicaid, but I got turned down by THREE healthcare providers, and only Medicaid would take me.
If you have Medicaid, it should pay for the doctor visits, despite what your mom thinks.

Old 03-14-2020, 09:25 AM

20,955 posts, read 5,548,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
The healtcare system does suck. It is the only retail/consumer industry where the consumer doesn't know the price of service until weeks after the service has been rendered. No other area in commerce operates that way. In the normal world, you have a price list and you can shop around BEFORE accepting the service.

It is also the only retail/consumer industry in which complete incompetence is rewarded as well as success and positive results. The seller gets paid regardless of whether or not their "expertise" brings any real measurable benefit to the consumer.

Old 03-14-2020, 09:29 AM

18,501 posts, read 9,170,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkhmini View Post
The "healthcare" system is actually an "illness maintenance" system.
“Ain’t no money in a cure” — Chris Rock

Old 03-14-2020, 09:34 AM

20,955 posts, read 5,548,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
“Ain’t no money in a cure” — Chris Rock

Amen. Healthy people = bad business model.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies