Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2020, 01:23 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,043,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru5555 View Post
Where on that page does it say that “many of those in this age group who are hospitalized are quickly released to self-quarantine.”?

Literally nowhere.
I read that in a different article. If ARDS or other serious complications is not likely, you are released to self-quarantine.

But you ignored the important part. Only 7% of those with confirmed positives up to age 44 get admitted. And it’s probably more like 3-4% after you factor in all those myriad of cases that never get tested.

Old 03-27-2020, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
When did you test negative for the virus?
Why are you asking irrelevant questions that don’t address the provided data?

Old 03-27-2020, 01:35 AM

3,321 posts, read 1,101,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
I read that in a different article. If ARDS or other serious complications is not likely, you are released to self-quarantine.

But you ignored the important part. Only 7% of those with confirmed positives up to age 44 get admitted. And it’s probably more like 3-4% after you factor in all those myriad of cases that never get tested.
I want to see the link that says: “many of those in this age group who are hospitalized are quickly released to self-quarantine.” The definition of “many” is “the majority”, by the way.

Technically you need to incorporate part of the other age group that’s listed as we were discussing under 50, not 44; the percentage is greater than 7%.

And no, you can’t reduce the percentage by an arbitrary amount because you think it should be lower.

Old 03-27-2020, 01:41 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times
Quote:
Why are you asking irrelevant questions that don’t address the provided data?
Irrelevant? Really? To who? You?
Quote:
In China, there is a 20-year old woman who has become the first case that indicates that a person can spread Coronavirus to others without actually showing any symptoms themselves. The Wuhan native is under observation at the Fifth People's Hospital of Anyang after having believed to have passed on the COVID-19 virus to 5 family members—they insist she is the only relative who had been to Wuhan recently. It has already been reported that the Coronavirus incubation period may be much longer than the previously thought 14-days, and instead could be as high as 27-days before the first symptoms show up.

https://www.news18.com/news/tech/cor...s-2514577.html

Old 03-27-2020, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru5555 View Post
I want to see the link that says: “many of those in this age group who are hospitalized are quickly released to self-quarantine.”

Technically you need to incorporate part of the other age group that’s listed as we were discussing under 50, not 44; the percentage is greater than 7%.

And no, you can’t reduce the percentage by an arbitrary amount because you think it should be lower.
Yes I absolutely can if there are ANY cases of covid-19 that are not tested positives. And the authorities say that the tested positives represent a fraction of the total number of cases. And this is borne out by the exponential increase in cases we are seeing. If the total number of cases is even only double the amount of tested cases, which is an absurdly low estimate, than my 3-4% hospitalization rate estimate grossly overstates the case.

And adding 45-49 year olds doesn’t change the number much, if at all.

The conclusion is correct. Sub 50s have a very low expectation of ever being hospitalized for this virus. Ridiculously low.

Old 03-27-2020, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Irrelevant? Really? To who? You?
I don’t believe tests are available to asymptomatic citizens. If the test becomes available and does not involve traveling to a health care facility, where one is asking to be infected, I’ll be happy to entertain a regular testing regimen.

Old 03-27-2020, 01:53 AM

3,321 posts, read 1,101,076 times
Quote:
Yes I absolutely can if there are ANY cases of covid-19 that are not tested positives. And the authorities say that the tested positives represent a fraction of the total number of cases. And this is borne out by the exponential increase in cases we are seeing. If the total number of cases is even only double the amount of tested cases, which is an absurdly low estimate, than my 3-4% hospitalization rate estimate grossly overstates the case.

And adding 45-49 year olds doesn’t change the number much, if at all.

The conclusion is correct. Sub 50s have a very low expectation of ever being hospitalized for this virus. Ridiculously low.
No, you can’t just arbitrarily modify the data and then claim it’s valid.

Also where’s the link to back up your other claim?

Your reference site is ONLY FOR ONE CITY. CDC data for the country puts hospitalization percentages as such:

Hospitalization percentages by age group:
20-44 year olds: 14.3-20.8%
44-54 year olds: 20.5-30.1%

ICU percentages by age group:
20-44 year olds: 2-4.2%
44-54 year olds: 5.4-10.4%

Last edited by subaru5555; 03-27-2020 at 02:06 AM.. Reason: Grammar/Clarification

Old 03-27-2020, 02:01 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times
Quote:
I don’t believe tests are available to asymptomatic citizens. If the test becomes available and does not involve traveling to a health care facility, where one is asking to be infected, I’ll be happy to entertain a regular testing regimen.
And that is the problem and my point. They should be readily available in order to stop the spread quicker but alas, they are not and that is due to incompetence and apathy, but that's a subject for lots of other threads. This crisis situation was not strategically addressed.
Quote:
South Korea’s rapid coronavirus testing, far ahead of the U.S., could be saving lives
https://www.latimes.com/world-nation...life-and-death

Last edited by sickofnyc; 03-27-2020 at 02:16 AM..

Old 03-27-2020, 02:08 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
In New York City only 7% of those up to age 44 who test positive are hospitalized at all. 93% are not. And many of those in this age group who are hospitalized are quickly released to self-quarantine.

And that is based on 20,000 tested and confirmed cases. The rate is much lower if you include the people who develop some symptoms but are never tested.

https://www.businessinsider.com/new-...e-chart-2020-3
And who knows if they do it don't become moderate or severe down the road. New York has a problem where they have too many severe cases and it is filling up the hospitals. That is why quarantine is being used, they have to wait to see if cases get worse and if they do, of rooms opened for them.

Old 03-27-2020, 02:09 AM

10,473 posts, read 4,042,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterful_Man View Post
A huge win for open borders!
Thankfully it's a relatively mild virus.

But next time it might not be. Time to shut the borders and end immigration!
And when or if we start immigration back up, we should force ALL immigrants to go through medical checks at Ellis Island once again, like they did in the old days.
Thing is, immigrants are the least of our worries if anyone can just buy a plane ticket to anywhere around the world with just a passport, stay anywhere around the world for as long as they want, and then hop back on that plane with just a passport required, no health certificates or quarantine required.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies