Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2020, 08:26 AM

16,294 posts, read 10,438,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I understand, if you have the virus and are "not" showing any symptoms, a test isn't going to be a confirmed Positive until the symptoms start showing? If this is true, how would testing everyone be a conclusive accurate test on each individual?
No there have been many reported positive tests on people who experience no symptoms. But they can still pass it on to others that won't be as fortunate. This is why the lack of testing has crippled us.

Old 03-29-2020, 08:26 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,975,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
98.5% in the US survive, and it is more like 99.2% for people under 50. We can’t stop life for a virus. We need to get back to work, especially younger people. And yes, we have to accept a 1% death rate. Lockdown is not a solution ultimately. Herd immunity requires that we get sick, develop resistance and move on. The destruction of jobs and the economy is worse than the disease when 99% live.
You have to take into consideration that the health care system will be overwhelmed with your scenario. 1.5% death rate assumes everyone gets the health care they need. 15-20% need to be hospitalized and a significant number of those need ventilators. And yes, many of the people who need ventilators are young people. They wont get it with that strategy. The death rate would be far higher than 1.5% with the strategy you're advocating.

Old 03-29-2020, 08:29 AM

15,867 posts, read 6,569,892 times
I just wonder why people still believe this administration? Everybody should have learned by now, it's better to wait for independent confirmation.

Old 03-29-2020, 08:30 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,694,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I hope Donald Trump reads that because this is what quarantining New York is going to hurt, getting back to work. The biggest issue with going back to work is that companies have set up blanket policies as areas may have a later rise in cases. Florida and Arizona are expected to rise relatively soon. You can't re-open when we are trying to flatten the curve. You are like Trump in that you want to still possess your cake after eating the slice you were given.
The same people don't seem to have a problem with "the economy" (MV accidents, stress, pollution, cancer, hearth disease, respiratory diseases, gun deaths, etc.) killing a large portion of Americans each and every year.

"The Economy" is more dangerous than the virus in many ways - those are 1.5+ Million Americans deaths each and every year. Not to say all can be prevented, but a lot of them could be. Meanwhile, Trump has cut back EPA regs during this crisis so more can die from "normal and accepted" causes.

The best things that could come out of this are:

1. We get the idea we could actually do things together to solve problems.
2. We rethink parts of "the economy" which cause us all harm just to get some of those greenbacks which now have been proven can be given out for free.
3. We rethink our public health system
4. We think more carefully about our "leaders".

30 years back my doc friends said 90% of the patients they see are lifestyle connected. I would suggest that lifestyle is somewhat a reaction to "the economy" - fast food nation and all of that.

Old 03-29-2020, 08:33 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,585,841 times
Quote:
98.5% in the US survive, and it is more like 99.2% for people under 50. We can’t stop life for a virus. We need to get back to work, especially younger people. And yes, we have to accept a 1% death rate. Lockdown is not a solution ultimately. Herd immunity requires that we get sick, develop resistance and move on. The destruction of jobs and the economy is worse than the disease when 99% live.

Ignoring scientific advice is like hanging out at the beach hoping the tsunami doesn't hit. You can't resume "normality" when thousands of unhealthy (and healthy) people are dying. Sure go back to work, what do you think is gonna happen ? Everything returns to normal ? No way.
  • Restaurants are going to lose business - regardless of if the economy is open
  • Retail business will still go bust - because they won't have workers or customers
  • Airlines would have to run with half full planes
  • Car dealers - who wants to buy a car under these conditions
  • Real Estate - same as cars - purchases will be down
The stock market doesn't respond to things being open - it responds to the health of the economy and we can't have a healthy economy without a healthy populace. There is no way to get over this, without going through it, and trying to minimize the overload. Only then can we find a vaccine and mitigate the damage.

Old 03-29-2020, 08:33 AM

7,826 posts, read 2,735,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Dr. Fauci, president Donald Trump's senior advisor on the task force, says USA will likely see 100,000 deaths from coronavirus.

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1244265355197009920
I guess we won't be hearing or seeing Dr. Fauci anytime soon...if history is any judge of how Dear Leader reacts to bad news.

Old 03-29-2020, 08:38 AM

4,028 posts, read 1,884,793 times
Well - I confess I didn't read the whole thread, but I assume this is - in part - about PPE. Because short of a vaccine, nothing would have stopped the end result. Nothing. Speculate all ya want - but when you blame our gov't. for that, I guess you implicitly concede that our leaders are at least as competent as all the leaders, everywhere. Because no one has stopped it yet.

Regarding PPE - They have a shelf life - so no matter how many - per day - you can add to the shelf - you are burning just as many the same day - after 3 to 5 years.

While it "might" have been possible to keep up with that (and maybe we did) in the early days of CVID19 - do the math. Work it out. It was not possible to stockpile the amount of PPE we need. Not by Trump. Not by anyone.

Manufacturers aren't magical. Machines operate at a finite speed. Material arrives by boats - from other countries. Trucks have to deliver the materials. And so on.

This virus is not easy for us to understand, and it leaves room for us to fill in the blanks any way our mind wants to. Do the math. Read the numbers. Fill your mind with something helpful. This constant complaining will not improve things.

Old 03-29-2020, 08:41 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,931,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
The same people don't seem to have a problem with "the economy" (MV accidents, stress, pollution, cancer, hearth disease, respiratory diseases, gun deaths, etc.) killing a large portion of Americans each and every year.

"The Economy" is more dangerous than the virus in many ways - those are 1.5+ Million Americans deaths each and every year. Not to say all can be prevented, but a lot of them could be. Meanwhile, Trump has cut back EPA regs during this crisis so more can die from "normal and accepted" causes.

The best things that could come out of this are:

1. We get the idea we could actually do things together to solve problems.
2. We rethink parts of "the economy" which cause us all harm just to get some of those greenbacks which now have been proven can be given out for free.
3. We rethink our public health system
4. We think more carefully about our "leaders".

30 years back my doc friends said 90% of the patients they see are lifestyle connected. I would suggest that lifestyle is somewhat a reaction to "the economy" - fast food nation and all of that.
Some do care, at least to say that the Covid-19 deaths are overstated for how dangerous it really is. The poster I replied to said we need to sacrifice the 1 in 100 mortality rate to reopen the economy, especially younger people That poster has been told that young people are now at a greater risk than we once thought, and he don't care.

As for Trump rolling back EPA regulations, what is that supposed to do to help?

Old 03-29-2020, 08:43 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,969,309 times
Quote:
Looks like you are in or near the NYC-Tri State hot zone. Have you been staying home?

Plenty of people are still working to keep our supermarkets and pharmacies stocked. Many of those are risking their lives everyday because they deal with the public face to face.

Most of the businesses that are shut down relate to Entertainment. I keep wondering why so much of our economy is based on entertainment. It really is a first world problem. Unfortunately, most of the people who work in those in those industries are among the lowest paid.

Old 03-29-2020, 08:43 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,694,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I am protecting myself in public just as most others are so what's with death scenario? Compared to the number of recoveries deaths pales in comparison. I'm not going to live my life in fear. What kind of life is that?
I somewhat agree but if you have many living loved ones in all kids of conditions and in many places it is 100% natural to have worry, which is somewhat the same as fear.

Furthermore, although many of us (older) can accept death, to quote one elder resident of Florida where they are setting up tent field hospitals "I'd rather not go in a bed in the middle of a vast field hospital with no privacy or dignity".

That's another debate in the first place - the lack of Death with Dignity and our lack of allowance of choosing our deaths means we are forced to drown in our own bodily fluids.

Most people would not let that happen to their dogs...so think about it.

Here is one way to look at it.

If 1 out of every 100 airliners that took off crashed....would you be fearful to get on one? My guess is NO ONE would get on one. Even if we took those numbers over a full year that would mean:

1. 37 Million Flights
2. Only 370,000 crash.

Would you make your reservation now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies