Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2020, 04:35 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
you made statements/claims without any sources, I merely went to the CDC source. I do see that the Perry plant tested 60% positive.

but since you offer, let's hear more about Sonny Perdue and Smithfield.
Here you go:

Quote:
U.S. Department of Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue said he’s working to get a South Dakota pork plant reopened after hundreds of employees tested positive for COVID-19.

Smithfield Foods announced the closure of its Sioux Falls meat processing plant Sunday as a result of the coronavirus cases. State and local officials had urged the company to shutter the plant for 14 days so workers could self-isolate and the plant could be cleaned, the Associated Press reported.

It’s necessary to reopen the plant sooner “to help minimize disruptions to our critical food supply chain, while making sure employees working there are safe,” Perdue tweeted Wednesday.
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/smith...220351108.html
Why do you think Trump invoked this law if not to have his 'boy' Sonny coerce companies to say open no matter how many workers are infected. https://www.nbcboston.com/news/natio...-open/2115140/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2020, 04:46 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
That pic reminds me of when I worked for a meat company (many moons ago). I remember one of the employees that had had both of his hands cut off in a meat cutting machine. He drove around in a car that had special controls that he could operate with his hooks. Fortunately I was a truck driver and never got close to the meat cutting operation.
It's a dangerous work. A friend of mine worked in human resources at a Tyson poultry processing plant. This was probably 5-10 years ago so I don't know if this still happens but she said that they would hire illegals and actually preferred to hire them because they worked hard and didn't complain, but if they filed a worker's comp claim they would suddenly realize that the workers papers don't "look right" and they would call ICE and have them arrest the employee.

Old 05-10-2020, 05:57 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,097,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
It's a dangerous work. A friend of mine worked in human resources at a Tyson poultry processing plant. This was probably 5-10 years ago so I don't know if this still happens but she said that they would hire illegals and actually preferred to hire them because they worked hard and didn't complain, but if they filed a worker's comp claim they would suddenly realize that the workers papers don't "look right" and they would call ICE and have them arrest the employee.
Yes, dirty, dangerous work. And the workers get treated like crap. I'm seriously thinking about cutting out red meat and chicken too.

Old 05-10-2020, 06:13 PM

29,518 posts, read 22,661,647 times
The curve has already flattened.

The total death has been stuck at low 80K for the past few days.

Nothing at all like the millions that were going to be dropping dead like the bubonic plague as some fear mongers were saying a few months ago.

I've already been going out and about for weeks. Just had a haircut a few days ago from a private hair cutting business, feel like a million bucks. Got pizza from a place about an hour and a half away.

Life is good, people are sick of this stupid lockdown. OPEN ALL BUSINESSES NOW!

Old 05-10-2020, 06:59 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,488,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
The curve has already flattened.

The total death has been stuck at low 80K for the past few days.

Nothing at all like the millions that were going to be dropping dead like the bubonic plague as some fear mongers were saying a few months ago.

I've already been going out and about for weeks. Just had a haircut a few days ago from a private hair cutting business, feel like a million bucks. Got pizza from a place about an hour and a half away.

Life is good, people are sick of this stupid lockdown. OPEN ALL BUSINESSES NOW!
"Nothing at all" because country was and still is pretty good at social distancing. Had we done nothing, we'd have a nightmare. You're too smart to be implying this is a nothingburger. Only because we took the action we did were we able to flatten the curve. That was the purpose of social distancing. With relaxation around the country, the curve will soon change direction.

Consider - posted today:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
News from South Korea and elsewhere:

“South Korea’s capital closed down more than 2,100 bars and other nightspots Saturday because of a new cluster of coronavirus infections, Germany scrambled to contain fresh outbreaks at slaughterhouses, and Italian authorities worried that people were getting too friendly at cocktail hour during the country’s first weekend of eased restrictions.”

https://www.sunjournal.com/2020/05/0...ars-in-italy/#

“Mayor Park Namchoon of Incheon city to the west of Seoul says the closing of nightlife facilities will last for two weeks and that anyone violating the order can be punished by up to two years in prison or a 20 million won ($16,380) fine.”

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireSt...korea-70601984

Old 05-10-2020, 08:25 PM

8,502 posts, read 3,343,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Oceangaia has it right. And businesses could take confidence-building steps such as temperature-taking and requiring application of hand sanitizer.
Why not add the playing of nice soothing music to the list? People aren't fools. What matters are actual transmissions within the workplace. This virus is highly contagious and largely spreads through airborne droplet transmission. For that, you didn't even manage to mention masks. Until we get serious, we will continue to be a world of hurt.

Old 05-10-2020, 08:31 PM

17,625 posts, read 6,914,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
Why not add the playing of nice soothing music to the list? People aren't fools. What matters are actual transmissions within the workplace. This virus is highly contagious and largely spreads through airborne droplet transmission. For that, you didn't even manage to mention masks. Until we get serious, we will continue to be a world of hurt.
You should probably stay in your house wearing a surgical mask until there’s a vaccine. The rest of us have lives to live.

Old 05-11-2020, 01:09 AM

19,844 posts, read 12,106,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
som would CHOOSE to stay takeout. Some would CHOOSE to be 50%. Some would go out of business for lack of demand.

and that would last about 2 weeks, up to 4. Then they'd be at higher capacity at Memorial Day or soon thereafter.

I like the idea of cities working with restaurants to boost outdoor capacity. Allows more tables, more distancing, and fresh air blunting COVID.

As to beaches "packed like sardines" - again, that's your term. If we accept the veracity of this undated photo that's attached to a "packed Ca beaches" article, then they're not like sardines, and it's even hard to tell what % of groups are less than 6 ft apart. And since it was 8 days ago - has there been a noticeable uptick in cases?
Around here, cities are waiving outdoor permit fees to enable restaurants to expand outdoor dining. One high end area shut down the avenue to traffic to enable use of the street for expanded outdoor dining.

Old 05-11-2020, 01:31 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
"Nothing at all" because country was and still is pretty good at social distancing. Had we done nothing, we'd have a nightmare. You're too smart to be implying this is a nothingburger. Only because we took the action we did were we able to flatten the curve. That was the purpose of social distancing. With relaxation around the country, the curve will soon change direction.

Consider - posted today:

Your inclusion of South Korea - often held up as a model for how to handle things - shutting bars back down just shows that no matter how well you test and contain and lock down, you're going to have a spike when you re-open. So what exactly do people think they are going to accomplish by keeping things shut down? They say they don't want to be shut down forever but there's no duration that is going to be adequate because the virus is too widespread to ever be eradicated. Therefore, if a spike is inevitable, best to re-open now and get on with it to minimize damage to the economy. If we kept things locked down now and re-opened in September then we would see the spike in September. Only difference is in September a lot more people would be financially devastated. Being broke is going to make coronavirus worse.

Old 05-11-2020, 06:03 AM

35,071 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Your inclusion of South Korea - often held up as a model for how to handle things - shutting bars back down just shows that no matter how well you test and contain and lock down, you're going to have a spike when you re-open. So what exactly do people think they are going to accomplish by keeping things shut down? They say they don't want to be shut down forever but there's no duration that is going to be adequate because the virus is too widespread to ever be eradicated. Therefore, if a spike is inevitable, best to re-open now and get on with it to minimize damage to the economy. If we kept things locked down now and re-opened in September then we would see the spike in September. Only difference is in September a lot more people would be financially devastated. Being broke is going to make coronavirus worse.
I couldn't rep you again but I agree. I think virtually everyone has been exposed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies