Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2020, 01:16 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,496,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
Lol no, that is not how it works. The 10 year clause is for someone who was vice president that became president midway through a term who then runs and gets elected for 2 full terms.

A term is 4 years. There is no such thing as a 5 year term, you literally just made that up.

1. I said (BY LAW) it would not happen

2. I said IF, ...IF... an election was to get postponed due to some national crisis, that the sitting POTUS Could have a 5th year for THAT PARTICULAR TERM until an election is performed...show me where the constitution says it would actually KICK OUT a SITTING POTUS and VP, and install the house speaker

so what you are saying is that the speaker of the house (or the 4th in line if Nancy is not available (Grassley I think)) , or the 5th in line Pompeo..will be INSTALLED due to "no election"...that certainly is not democracy

you have liberals (and cons) on here (CD) that have for years said "Clinton will declare Martial law and have the election postponed" …."Bush will declare Martial law and have the election postponed" …. "Obama will declare Martial law and have the election postponed" ….and even recently "Trump will declare Martial law and have the election postponed"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2020, 01:22 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,418,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
2. I said IF, ...IF... an election was to get postponed due to some national crisis, that the sitting POTUS Could have a 5th year for THAT PARTICULAR TERM until an election is performed...show me where the constitution says it would actually KICK OUT a SITTING POTUS and VP, and install the house speaker
It would never get to that point.

The Constitution requires an election every 4 years. We have always adhered to that, even in wartime/crisis situations (civil war, WW2, etc).

Old 03-31-2020, 01:22 PM

33,315 posts, read 12,546,342 times
Quote:
that won't happen, the election will happen this year thats the law

actually not, Nancy would not be appointed if the election was to be postponed, as the constitutional amendment says a POTUS can serve 2, 4 year terms or a max of 10 years

if the election was postponed a year (which it wont and cant happen) trump would serve a 5th year of his 1st term...even if this was his 2nd term he could (god forbid) serve an extra year or two before he his the 10 yr mark

nasty Nancy will never be acting or any other type of president

Wrong.

The Constitution doesn't mandate when the election is to be held, but it does mandate that Trump's term ends on January 20th, 2021 (Section 1 of Article Two of the U.S. Constitution).

Old 03-31-2020, 01:27 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,418,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
The Constitution doesn't mandate when the election is to be held, but it does mandate that Trump's term ends on January 20th, 2021 (Section 1 of Article Two of the U.S. Constitution).
To clarify a bit further, by expressly limiting the term to 4 years, the Constitution effectively mandates an election be held every 4 years, though it does not specify the exact date. The date is set by federal law which could be updated by Congress, but not by the President since he does not have any singular authority to change the law.

Old 03-31-2020, 01:35 PM

33,315 posts, read 12,546,342 times
Quote:
1. I said (BY LAW) it would not happen

so what you are saying is that the speaker of the house (or the 4th in line if Nancy is not available (Grassley I think)) , or the 5th in line Pompeo..will be INSTALLED due to "no election"...that certainly is not democracy

you have liberals (and cons) on here (CD) that have for years said "Clinton will declare Martial law and have the election postponed" …."Bush will declare Martial law and have the election postponed" …. "Obama will declare Martial law and have the election postponed" ….and even recently "Trump will declare Martial law and have the election postponed"

Show you where huh.

Read Section 1 of Article Two of the Constitution.

It doesn't just say term and leave that up to chance or interpretation. It specifies that the term is for four years.

Trump's first term ends on January 20th, 2021 whether there is an election in November or not.

If an election can't be safely held in November, we would be in uncharted territory. Only twelve Governors have the authority to postpone the election for their states.

Old 03-31-2020, 01:36 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,380,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
It's increasingly likely that the Presidential election will be postponed a year.
No chance.

Old 03-31-2020, 01:36 PM

24,005 posts, read 15,096,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
This reminds me of Susan Sarandon discussing Trumps win as better then Hillary. She said she could 'feel' the revolution brewing. Unfortunately for her that revolution was a conservative takeover of the Supreme Court and Trump remaking the judiciary for a generation. As well as peeling back every environmental regulation possible by executive order or at the will of a cabinet appointee. Let's see if the Berners make the same assessment in 2020. I think some honestly will.
I heard a lot of that foolishness. If they are so liberal, Sanders is their guy, they must love POTUS Trump.

Old 03-31-2020, 01:37 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,878,633 times
Not a Sanders supporter but the DNC has treated Sanders like garbage the past 2 elections. I don't blame Bernie supporters for not supporting the dems. Hopefully it will send a message.

Old 03-31-2020, 01:40 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,496,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Wrong.

actually article two says NOTHING about inauguration day or end of term day,

The first inauguration, that of George Washington, took place on April 30, 1789. All subsequent (regular) inaugurations from 1793 until 1933, were held on March 4, the day of the year on which the federal government began operations under the U.S. Constitution in 1789.

section1 of article two:
The executive Power shall be vested in a President of the United States of America. He shall hold his Office during the Term of four Years, and, together with the Vice President, chosen for the same Term, be elected, as follows:
Each State shall appoint, in such Manner as the Legislature thereof may direct, a Number of Electors, equal to the whole Number of Senators and Representatives to which the State may be entitled in the Congress: but no Senator or Representative, or Person holding an Office of Trust or Profit under the United States, shall be appointed an Elector.

now if you want to get particular,, having early voting violates the constitution as it specifically says day:

The Congress may determine the Time of chusing the Electors, and the Day on which they shall give their Votes; which Day shall be the same throughout the United States.

Old 03-31-2020, 01:41 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,119,845 times
That's like voting to napalm your house because you don't like that one guy in the fire department...
But that's also voting for biden over sanders...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies