Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2020, 08:44 PM

609 posts, read 265,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
This current pandemic has many young people posting on online forums like this one , that old people should not be given preferential treatment, but instead treat the young.
Others, and one on this site, states medicare, and ss will save billions if the old people die of this virus.
Where did all this hatred of old people come from?
Do they not realize one day they will be old.
Do they not realize that it was these older people that once gave them life, and in many cases a very good life?

Where does all this hatred of old people come from?
Some of the people who say this are old themselves. Dan Patrick, for example, the lieutenant governor of Texas is an old man; he said old people should sacrifice themselves for the good of the economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2020, 09:53 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,447,174 times
Old people vote Republican, young people vote Democrat. Guess which party cares about the future and which doesn't? Look at who blows up the deficit & debt every time they control the federal government.

Old 03-31-2020, 10:10 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,886,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
Old people vote Republican, young people vote Democrat. Guess which party cares about the future and which doesn't? Look at who blows up the deficit & debt every time they control the federal government.
Obama 9 trillion....... Hmmmmmmm

That kind of debunks your point.

I don't hate young people. I hate anyone who puts their hand in my pocket and demands that I pay for their lunch.

Old 03-31-2020, 10:36 PM

35,711 posts, read 21,076,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchisedog View Post
Yep, I love great music
I am old school - (66) but I love new things and new music/dance as well. I change with the seasons.

Old 03-31-2020, 11:16 PM

8,564 posts, read 10,987,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
This a strawman thread if I ever saw one. Starting with a false premise - that young people hate old people - with no supporting evidence. What are you trying to stir up here?

I've been seeing so many of these bogus threads lately, just trying get two groups to fight online: black vs white Dem vs GOP, Christian vs atheist. Now young vs old? I'm beginning to believe these really are Russian trolls trying to divide our country.
I can't speak for the other forums, and people posting on them, but a Russian troll I am not.

Born and raised in this country 81 years ago, and have had a great life,thanks to all this country affords it's citizens.
In my many years, I have experienced hatred of older people, as well as respect for them.
I believe there are many young people who could care less about older people, and I feel that is due to their self want.
Many are gimme, gimme, but don't understand that is not how society is geared.
Unlike my generation, many young people want it handed to them without any strings attached.
Many young are not career oriented, so they fall by the wayside, and blame the elder generation for their misgivings.
Jealousy plays a part in it as well.
Young people are jealous of what many older people have, but fail to understand how they achieved what it is they have.

Don't get me wrong, there is a segment of the younger generations that are truly a credit to their generation.

Some young people are volunteering their time, and effort to help the elders during this pandemic, and that is a good thing.
The aren't all bad, and disrespectful, but I believe many are.

Old 04-01-2020, 12:05 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,765,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
It's natural. Never trust anyone over 30.... I'm 67.
I'm 57, so a little too young to remember... what was the level of disdain for older generations during the Vietnam War protests? How do you think it compares to today?

Old 04-01-2020, 12:11 AM

19,815 posts, read 9,376,760 times
I don't think that young people hate old people, but I do think that many extreme liberals hate conservatives, and since there are many old people who are conservatives . . .

I will admit, however, that I am very tired of reading so many posts by younger people blaming almost all their problems on Boomers.

Old 04-01-2020, 12:15 AM

3,856 posts, read 2,230,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchisedog View Post
Sure there is quality new music If you go out of your way to find it. An some solid mainstream top 40 hits.

But certainly not the same consistent quality from back in the day
I actually think there's more talent in music today than there ever was. These days, actual trained musicians are making it in the industry, which is something that never happened before.

I think more talent is getting exposure because of the internet. It's easier for new artists to make a name for themselves before they ever get a record deal.

Old 04-01-2020, 04:00 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,181,283 times
American culture promotes selfishness. The individualistic mentality in this culture has bred this indifference for others. That mentality has come from certain older people themselves - the parents and grandparents who raised these young people. It was an older individual who first suggested that the older generation be sacrificed for the young. It’s unfortunate that many people do not see the value of the older generation. Some have invaluable wisdom to impart to those who follow.

Old 04-01-2020, 04:05 AM

11,122 posts, read 5,596,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
I agree to an extent, at least on here they call them whiners, snowflakes and what not. I hope all young and old alike recover from this terrible plague - but I pray even more it unite us and NOT divide us even more.
I am not in favor of control freaks - not all people are

If we become even more divided by this virus, then we are lost, even if it doesn't kill us directly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies