Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2020, 11:47 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
It's all good ... I've been accused of not being a libertarian, because I support a UBI, even though there are libertarians that support a UBI.
We all know where stuff like this comes from ...
I've been accused of being on both sides, depending on the post. /shrug

I don't think either of us will lose any sleep over it.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-17-2020, 11:47 AM

989 posts, read 456,318 times
I think some are concerned with being forced back into working situations that are risky. I mean, I know some people are financially ruined and want to get back to their public job for that reason, but I'm not relishing going back to work inside my 3,000 person cubicle farm. Not at all.

Old 04-17-2020, 11:49 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
For those that are concerned about people going back to work and lifting the "lockdown"-get a grip! No one is going to force you to go outside! If you want to stay locked in your home or apartment-no one is going to knock the door down and drag you out. If you live in fear-stay home! And if you're at a high risk group, by all means stay home and self quarantine.

Here's a clue-other people don't necessarily share those fears-or at the least are able to rationally balance them against the actual concern about losing their businesses, their homes or going bankrupt. I realize you don't care about that and would rather nurture your own fears and phobias-but it's time to stop expecting others to cater to you all the time. Go ahead, lock yourself down if you like. But the rest of us are ready to get on with life.
Preach.

Old 04-17-2020, 11:54 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,722,262 times
I was running errands a while ago, so didn't hear all of Rush's opening comments this morning. I heard enough, though, to wonder if he watched the same briefing yesterday that I did. He was clearly impressed, or said he was....as though anything really happened or was really decided.

The more I think about it, the better I understand why Trump is doing what he's doing....and why he's not doing what he's not doing. But Rush should know better than to think his listeners heard anything there to be inspired by.

Trump is playing it safe....and he probably has to right now. But I would say to him and to Trump....don't insult your support base by talking as though the country was opened yesterday.

Old 04-17-2020, 11:55 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyVW55 View Post
I think some are concerned with being forced back into working situations that are risky. I mean, I know some people are financially ruined and want to get back to their public job for that reason, but I'm not relishing going back to work inside my 3,000 person cubicle farm. Not at all.
Exactly. When my boss tells me I have to go back to the office, I have to go back to the office even though i believe it's too soon. My workplace isn't as dense, but my organization operates a early childhood education program with 100 kids, parents coming in and out all day, etc. Although I'm reasonably insulated from it, I'm still going to come in contact with more people than I'm comfortable with right now.

And it's going to be a long time before I go anywhere but the bank, grocery store, and drug store, even as businesses do reopen.

Old 04-17-2020, 11:56 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,596,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
It's all good ... I've been accused of not being a libertarian, because I support a UBI, even though there are libertarians that support a UBI.
We all know where stuff like this comes from ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I've been accused of being on both sides, depending on the post. /shrug

I don't think either of us will lose any sleep over it.
Nope ... there are a lot of things I might lose sleep over, but that's not one of 'em.

~ cheers ~

Old 04-17-2020, 12:04 PM

13,656 posts, read 9,717,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
Germs Over People, faction strikes again. Have you given any serious thought to the words science and too soon? Do you understand that public health and fiscal health are not mutually exclusive?
Do you understand that science offers analysis of facts, but that actual decisions are made on the basis of weighing the various analyses, generally with incomplete data?

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Have to say the people I saw today that were the most relaxed -- no mask, no gloves, no wiping anything down....were older women.

Do they just feel like they are Super Women or something....lol or just like those people who went on a cruise in March thinking it couldn't happen to them?
You can insinuate that these ladies are clueless ninnies, if it pleases you to think so. I make the opposite conclusion: they've considered the alternatives, and have decided that at their age, it's better to live a normal life, of normal joy and normal self-actualization, even if that means that they only have a smattering of weeks remaining... than to cower and to dread.

Old 04-17-2020, 12:09 PM

25,447 posts, read 9,809,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Preach.
Who's expecting to be catered to? I don't know anybody like that. Until we have more testing and know what we're dealing with, infections will continue to skyrocket. Look at the states that haven't taken any precautions. They are now hot spots.

That being said, I get that there has to be balance. I just don't know what that is. For me and my family, we will continue to isolate, wear masks, stay home, etc.

Old 04-17-2020, 12:10 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,522,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
I was running errands a while ago, so didn't hear all of Rush's opening comments this morning. I heard enough, though, to wonder if he watched the same briefing yesterday that I did. He was clearly impressed, or said he was....as though anything really happened or was really decided.

The more I think about it, the better I understand why Trump is doing what he's doing....and why he's not doing what he's not doing. But Rush should know better than to think his listeners heard anything there to be inspired by.

Trump is playing it safe....and he probably has to right now. But I would say to him and to Trump....don't insult your support base by talking as though the country was opened yesterday.
The "reopening" will largely be done at the state level. Sure, the feds have a role, but it is a big supporting role. The shutdowns that exist were mandated at the state level. They were never mandated at the federal level. Since the feds did not actually shut anything down, they really are not in a position to open anything up.

Trump is trying to give a push towards reopening, as there is still some division in the ranks, with a number of Democrat leaders and much of the press still trying to advocate for a longer term lockdown. They are control freaks. It is who they are. It is what they do.

Trump is hoisting the national banner for "reopening". That is not the same thing as ordering a reopening. But it is a role that nobody other than he can effectively fill, and if Obama, or Hillary, or Joe Biden was in that role, they might be hoisting the national banner for everyone to hunker down for a long term 'Duck and cover" posture.

So, President Trump is not doing as much as he seems to be suggesting, but the leadership role that he is playing is immensely important, especially compared to what a Democrat would be doing in this role.

Old 04-17-2020, 12:18 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,142,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
You can insinuate that these ladies are clueless ninnies, if it pleases you to think so. I make the opposite conclusion: they've considered the alternatives, and have decided that at their age, it's better to live a normal life, of normal joy and normal self-actualization, even if that means that they only have a smattering of weeks remaining... than to cower and to dread.
I don't think they're clueless ninnies for openly sneezing onto public surfaces and not even making any attempt to curtail their spread of disease. I think they're selfish a-holes who don't give a damn about spreading disease to others, risking others' long term health and even lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies