Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2020, 11:41 PM

15,534 posts, read 10,507,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
Some major cities have already cancelled their 4th of July fireworks events.

St Louis is an example:
https://www.fairsaintlouis.org/
Yeah maybe because all the cities will be broke.

Old 04-13-2020, 03:17 AM

4,472 posts, read 3,827,390 times
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...z&ocid=SL5LDHP

Even Cuomo wants New York to be open as soon as possible.

Old 04-13-2020, 04:04 AM

805 posts, read 1,085,272 times
We were told that the main reason for social distancing was to SLOW the spread of the virus so as to not overwhelm the hospitals. Now Physician Assistants, such as my friend in a Denver suburb, are being laid off because the hospitals/ERs are underwhelmed with people! We are peaking around 2,000 deaths/day and roughly 30,000 new cases per day, and MOST of these are taking place in NY, NJ, MI, and a handful of other states. Hardly the doom and gloom that the models predicted. You'd think at this point, there would be all kinds of talk of opening the country, relaxing social distancing, etc. But that is not the case. Now the narrative is, we have to keep social distancing because the virus might come back!

Common sense must prevail. We know that the worst case scenario is not going to happen with the virus, not even close. At this point, outside of the few hotspots in the country, allow Americans to choose what's best for themselves: wear a mask? Fine. Stay inside because you're immuno-compromised or elderly? Of course! But blanket "stay at home" orders will continue crippling the economy, causing enormous stress on mental health. It is the equivalent of getting rid of a hangnail by amputating your foot.

There are vast areas of the US with very few cases. Knowing what we know now, applying the one-size-fits-all strategy going forward does not make any sense to me. And I think this should be a good lesson that simply because "experts" are saying something will happen, does not necessarily mean something will happen. Critically thinking adults with common sense should be free to study the data, draw their own conclusions, and act accordingly.

Re-open nearly all of the country. Soon!

Old 04-13-2020, 07:46 AM

4,445 posts, read 1,450,992 times
April 14th. Sweden still hasn't yet locked down. And if you listen to posters here, their impending doom is always two weeks in the future. It looks to me they have accepted the risks of this action, they can manage all virus-related medical operations, they didn't shut down their economy, and life goes on for them.

I guess they could still change course. But if a CV apocalypse doesn't materialize for the Swedes, I won't be holding my breath waiting for the doom-speakers here and elsewhere to admit they were wrong.

Old 04-13-2020, 09:45 AM

Lets get a plan to get this nation back up in running, stat. CDC now says cases have stabilized and peaked. _NOW_ is the time to put together a plan to quickly get back to work and fire up the engine of our economy.

Let's go!

Old 04-13-2020, 11:18 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,678,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy50 View Post
"I'm of the opinion"
Here's what I think, here's my thoughts, jeeez does it ever dawn on some that we as a modern day people want/and need verifiable facts, good research, intelligent investigation, but not the opinions, views, suspicions, and hyperbole that has become the pillar of truth for so many. We're pawns in a game, and that has become more obvious with every passing day, and yet so many are coming forward with this kind of stupidity based on their supposed scientifically formed "opinion." No thanks, we can wait for the real science to let us know what the best path forward may be..

Old 04-13-2020, 11:40 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,691,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
Some major cities have already cancelled their 4th of July fireworks events.

St Louis is an example:
https://www.fairsaintlouis.org/
The outbreak is just getting started in St. Louis. We're going to be looking at an extended shutdown throughout any state that didn't institute contagion control early and hard. Missouri is far from the worst case. The carnage in Mississippi will be hard to comprehend.

Old 04-13-2020, 11:40 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,608,522 times
Quote:
Lets get a plan to get this nation back up in running, stat. CDC now says cases have stabilized and peaked. _NOW_ is the time to put together a plan to quickly get back to work and fire up the engine of our economy.

Let's go!
I wouldnt count on that happening anytime soon, the fed is telling people to expect this for another 18 months.

Old 04-13-2020, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I wouldnt count on that happening anytime soon, the fed is telling people to expect this for another 18 months.
That's not going to happen.

Old 04-13-2020, 11:48 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,678,784 times
Quote:
That's not going to happen.
I'm so glad that you're making all the big decisions..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.