Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2020, 03:40 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,439,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Those are questions that are asked in, and are very important to, every failed communist state throughout history.
It has nothing to do with what any one system wants.

Its about individuals in this country deciding what our country should look like and how economic choices are made.

And when push comes to shove I don't like the model of a big ugly warehouse in a strip mall maximizing traffic and herding in people to buy as a club member bulk goods for cheap.

That does not bode well for our society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2020, 03:54 PM

17,311 posts, read 12,267,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post

Its about individuals in this country deciding what our country should look like and how economic choices are made.

And when push comes to shove I don't like the model of a big ugly warehouse in a strip mall maximizing traffic and herding in people to buy as a club member bulk goods for cheap.

I think you're confusing Costco with Sam's Club. Costco sells high quality items with the best return policy out there to stand behind them. Pretty far removed from the bulk good items at a discount grocery store. Cheap? Lucky to get out of there under $300. It's one retail model that still works against the likes of Amazon.

Old 04-17-2020, 04:11 PM

10,770 posts, read 5,687,611 times
Quote:

You think that you have the right to "organize" consumption in a manner that suits you. You don't. Communists believe the same thing. In Communist regimes, they have the power to act on that, and it's failed miserably.

Quote:

Costco's aren't in strip malls. That has been pointed out to you previously, but you ignore it, because it doesn't suit your agenda.

No one is being "herded."

Costco bodes very well for our society.

Is anyone trying to force particular consumer behaviors on you, or dictate what you purchase, or where you purchase it? Absolutely not. That you believe that YOU have the right to do that to others is the height of arrogance.

Old 04-17-2020, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
You think that you have the right to "organize" consumption in a manner that suits you. You don't. Communists believe the same thing. In Communist regimes, they have the power to act on that, and it's failed miserably.

Costco's aren't in strip malls. That has been pointed out to you previously, but you ignore it, because it doesn't suit your agenda.

No one is being "herded."

Costco bodes very well for our society.

Is anyone trying to force particular consumer behaviors on you, or dictate what you purchase, or where you purchase it? Absolutely not. That you believe that YOU have the right to do that to others is the height of arrogance.
Its not about individual action, everything we do affects one another, and we all have to decide what type of society we live in. The political or economic system doesn't change that.

How are traditions built, and what are the social organizations that build us up. A national brand that homogenizes consumer behavior across the country with a depressing aesthetic or something more?

We make that choice, and we should be conscious about what we want.

Also, Strip mall: https://www.reviewjournal.com/busine...n-spring-2018/

And the idea is a traffic based positioning and model.

Old 04-17-2020, 04:27 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,600,126 times
Quote:

Why? Especially since most people like the return policy, the quality, the price, and the fact their employees are well paid and happy at their jobs?

What part of that is bad for society? I don't see much negative in that.

Old 04-17-2020, 04:29 PM

19,655 posts, read 12,244,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
I think you're confusing Costco with Sam's Club. Costco sells high quality items with the best return policy out there to stand behind them. Pretty far removed from the bulk good items at a discount grocery store. Cheap? Lucky to get out of there under $300. It's one retail model that still works against the likes of Amazon.
I must live in the twilight zone. I don't shop at Costco, Walmart (try to avoid), Sams Club or Amazon.

I have few needs though. While there is talk of less materialism and downsizing our society still consumes intensely.

Old 04-17-2020, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
[/b]

Why? Especially since most people like the return policy, the quality, the price, and the fact their employees are well paid and happy at their jobs?

What part of that is bad for society? I don't see much negative in that.
People don't act with foresight.

Just because it gives them immediate pleasure to buy more for less doesn't mean they are deciding how they want this country to look or who should manage its capital.

People have to look at the bigger picture and ask what type of structural society we should live in and what our virtues should be.

Practical spending, increased investment, homogeneity, and a commuter life style, or something based on community, local traditions, environment, and beauty.

There are sacrifices either way, but short term gain isn't the best for anyone.

Old 04-17-2020, 06:35 PM

2,361 posts, read 2,539,535 times
I hate Costco. They won’t put a store within 100 miles of where I live. I hate Trader Joe’s for the same reason.

Old 04-17-2020, 06:38 PM

48,540 posts, read 34,891,275 times
Costco in no way interferes with my socializing with my community, family traditions or anything, and I am surrounded by beauty. Costco actually causes us to get together with family more, that big ol pack of steaks means I can invite more people over.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-17-2020, 06:38 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,839,752 times
This thread is everything that's wrong with America. First world problems -- "waaaah, I don't like that store".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies