Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2020, 08:29 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,967,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
I read the thread title and thought, finally a good thread. NOPE

The republicans are no longer conservatives. At least not fiscal conservatives like Dole, Kemp and McCaine in his earlier days.

True conservatives like Ike were wary of the industrial war machine. They were fundamentally opposed to deficit spending and for balanced budgets. True conservatives have a heart and care about the poor, but also about creating an environment that business can thrive in. Democrats weren't so different from their GOP counterparts. Both parties put nation first. Right up until the 70's and then the sell out began.

I liked Reagan for 1 reason. he healed a nation after the Vietnam debacle. He made it ok to be proud to be an American again. Unlike John Kerry of the Time, he also made it ok to be a vet and to respect those who served. Kerry rode the anti-vet train into office. I have never met a vet change his story so many times.

Jack Kemp was a good conservative Republican. RIP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2020, 10:59 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,117,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
I've said before they're changing, but their record needs to be dealt with.

Since before even Reagan, republicans and the federalist society, along with their army of think tanks, have set out to destroy American nationalism.

Sure they wrapped themselves with the flag, but fools like Erick Erickson and Mark Levin dedicated their voices to preaching competitive markets, which just means allowing private equity to control what labor is productive, while determining national good by international supply chains.

They destroyed traditional community structures, and have left a base population living in the suburbs of Dallas or specialized farming company that relies on free trade to survive. All the while they are told to shop at their big box-mart store for Chinese made goods to keep the equity market afloat.

Democrats are rootless cosmopolitans who want cheap migrant labor to keep their farming and schools competitive and have everyone else move to a big city, but they don't claim to be conservatives.

Republicans do which make their crimes all the more egregious.
Republicans went down the drain when they branded themselves as just being anti-Liberal. No matter the idea, the cause, or the the policy, being single mindedly anti-Liberal ceded more and more of the smart policy positions to Democrats and left Republicans with the trash.

They seriously made the XL pipeline a party platform for years only bc Obama opposed it.

They made saving a dying industry that not even current coal miners would want their sons to work in your mission.

The list goes on and on a and on. We're going to look back at some of the positions as the dumbest policy stances of the 2000s.

Old 04-27-2020, 11:56 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times
Quote:
Reagan was nothing like those other men.
I’d prefer Ike over the others myself.

Old 04-28-2020, 03:52 AM

30,274 posts, read 23,756,971 times
Both parties have destroyed their true meaning. Both parties act like dictator scum bags. Both parties lie through their teeth to the American people. Both parties are bought and sold. All of them become wealthy while serving in public office - which should not be happening. None of them should be lifers - there needs to be term limits for all of them - very short term limits.

And while we're at it, let's get rid of the lobbyists. I despise them more than any other group of people - I despise lobbyists more than I despise the far left.

Neither liberals nor conservatives know the true meaning of their little labels anymore. What's going on, right now, should be waking everyone up, but it's not.

"But you support Trump!"

For one reason, and one reason only. I've already stated why, many times.

Do I think he's a conservative? No. But he was getting some things right, along the way, not everything, but quite a bit, until this over reaction over a virus happened.

Both parties have been trash for as long as I've been alive. I may mock Bernie bros, but they are simply trying to get rid of the status quo - and for that, I understand. It's the same thing I'm doing. Are Bernie and Trump the best candidates? No. Do they rankle the status quo? Yes - in a very big way. Bernie doesn't stand up to them. He is easily pushed down. Trump, on the other hand, told them, and continues to tell them, to pound sand. The Bernies and the Trumps are a means to an end, that's all.

If people want things to change, they need to quit voting for the same old crap that we've had for longer than I've been alive. But, it would appear that some are quite comfy with how things are going, so they keep voting in the status quo.

Old 04-28-2020, 03:58 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,882,153 times
Quote:
Reagan was nothing like those other men.
Agreed, Ike and Teddy didn't triple the debt in 8 years time or spend and tax as much as Reagan did.

Old 04-28-2020, 04:07 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,882,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Both parties have destroyed their true meaning. Both parties act like dictator scum bags. Both parties lie through their teeth to the American people. Both parties are bought and sold. All of them become wealthy while serving in public office - which should not be happening. None of them should be lifers - there needs to be term limits for all of them - very short term limits.

And while we're at it, let's get rid of the lobbyists. I despise them more than any other group of people - I despise lobbyists more than I despise the far left.

Neither liberals nor conservatives know the true meaning of their little labels anymore. What's going on, right now, should be waking everyone up, but it's not.

"But you support Trump!"

For one reason, and one reason only. I've already stated why, many times.

Do I think he's a conservative? No. But he was getting some things right, along the way, not everything, but quite a bit, until this over reaction over a virus happened.

Both parties have been trash for as long as I've been alive. I may mock Bernie bros, but they are simply trying to get rid of the status quo - and for that, I understand. It's the same thing I'm doing. Are Bernie and Trump the best candidates? No. Do they rankle the status quo? Yes - in a very big way. Bernie doesn't stand up to them. He is easily pushed down. Trump, on the other hand, told them, and continues to tell them, to pound sand. The Bernies and the Trumps are a means to an end, that's all.

If people want things to change, they need to quit voting for the same old crap that we've had for longer than I've been alive. But, it would appear that some are quite comfy with how things are going, so they keep voting in the status quo.
If you mean quit a bit of the little things correct, then I agree. Trump has increased government spending and kept us in never ending unConstitutional wars in the Middle East. The 2 most important policies and Trump is a complete failure on them. Just like the one before him and the one before that.

At least he's fighting the dishonest identity playing politics of the left.

Old 04-28-2020, 04:28 AM

30,274 posts, read 23,756,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
If you mean quit a bit of the little things correct, then I agree. Trump has increased government spending and kept us in never ending unConstitutional wars in the Middle East. The 2 most important policies and Trump is a complete failure on them. Just like the one before him and the one before that.

At least he's fighting the dishonest identity playing politics of the left.
Get over it. Until more people get a gd clue, we have to take the one that will do the most disruption. What part of "I support him for one reason, and one reason only" are you having a hard time comprehending?

Old 04-28-2020, 03:32 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,240,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
None of this is true. Like saying vegans started eating meat. Guess what they are no longer vegans.
Your posts, like the big government policies you back are failures. Which is why you never discuss actual policy.

Why keep saying republicans are conservative when they are not? The few small government congress critters are repubs. Overall the right is almost for big government as much as the dems are. The hand picked winners and losers change.

I love to discuss actual policy, but REAL policies; not fictitious ones those made up by the right-wing like death panel. An as soon as I get too detailed and started pointing the flaws in right-wing policies, they get defensive and start attacking me.

Liberals don't want big government, but we also don't want ZERO government like the right-wing, who think every government not related to their political agenda should be shut down.

Old 04-29-2020, 12:49 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,777,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
I read the thread title and thought, finally a good thread. NOPE

The republicans are no longer conservatives. At least not fiscal conservatives like Dole, Kemp and McCaine in his earlier days.

True conservatives like Ike were wary of the industrial war machine. They were fundamentally opposed to deficit spending and for balanced budgets. True conservatives have a heart and care about the poor, but also about creating an environment that business can thrive in. Democrats weren't so different from their GOP counterparts. Both parties put nation first. Right up until the 70's and then the sell out began.

I liked Reagan for 1 reason. he healed a nation after the Vietnam debacle. He made it ok to be proud to be an American again. Unlike John Kerry of the Time, he also made it ok to be a vet and to respect those who served. Kerry rode the anti-vet train into office. I have never met a vet change his story so many times.

Jack Kemp was a good conservative Republican. RIP.
I too wondered where the paradigm shifted. For the longest time, we have not had a president who put nation above party or ideology first. The last truly respected unifying Republican president we had was probably Eisenhower (yeah Reagan was quite popular too but he had strong detractors). For the Democrats, hope and glory pretty much died along with JFK but if you want to consider a Democratic president who finished a term, then Truman. The Vietnam War, Watergate, and subsequent events made many Americans cynical of politicians and distrustful of each other. I remember as far back at least as H.W. that opponent politicians were critical of even the smallest misgivings of the president and it has only gotten worse since then. Our nation really needs to dispense with the name calling and truly unite as a nation again.

Old 04-29-2020, 01:08 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,558,965 times
Lightbulb Republicans have spent that past 4 decades destroying conservatism

Their decision to embrace the lunatic religious right is leading them to the edge of the cliff.

Trump will take it from there.

They were pointedly warned by one of their own.

But they wouldn't listen.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies