Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2020, 11:56 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,459,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICANRICAN View Post
we are not a Democracy take a civic class!
Yes we are, albeit an imperfect form.

'republic' and democracy' are not mutually exclusive. They can and do sometimes exist as one, as in our system. Some republics are oligarchies, and Trump is clearly trying to make our democracy into an oligarchy (like his Russian mobster friends have done to their fledgling state).

A more perfect form of democracy would make better use of the plebiscite and the recall, but our representative form works fairly well (when we don't have a lying grifter and con man in the white house who doesn't respect the constitutional limits on the executive branch).

So enough with the false claim that because we have a republic it can't be a democracy. It is childish logic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2020, 11:59 PM

29,825 posts, read 24,913,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Yes we are, albeit an imperfect form.

'republic' and democracy' are not mutually exclusive. They can and do sometimes exist as one, as in our system. Some republics are oligarchies, and Trump is clearly trying to make our democracy into an oligarchy (like his Russian mobster friends have done to their fledgling state).

A more perfect form of democracy would make better use of the plebiscite and the recall, but our representative form works fairly well (when we don't have a lying grifter and con man in the white house who doesn't respect the constitutional limits on the executive branch).

So enough with the false claim that because we have a republic it can't be a democracy. It is childish logic.

Ok, I'm curious... Who is this small group of people that Trump is looking to give power and control over the United States of America to? The wealthiest names I can think of are lefties, and have benefited spectacularly from lefty politicians and their work in government, along with their generous subsidies.

Old 05-01-2020, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
I thought libs loved protests?
Protests for a legitimate cause are fine, everyone should be heard. But these protests are backed and launched by the DeVos family for their own political purposes, not for the people of Michigan. And that's what these shenanigans are about anyway, not 'freedom' and 'liberty', but merely a lame attempt to politically damage someone Trump is afraid of.

If they are going to invade the capital building in some attempt to intimidate our public servants in a time of crises it's not going to work, the people will turn their backs on them.

Old 05-01-2020, 12:06 AM

1,455 posts, read 2,498,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Its called 'patriotism' in case you didnt know.

So being a patriot means you have to storm a state parliamentary building armed with lethal weapons? Huh, it doesn't sound like the actions of a patriot to me. Sounds like a thug who can't get their way through peaceful means.

Old 05-01-2020, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Ok, I'm curious... Who is this small group of people that Trump is looking to give power and control over the United States of America to? The wealthiest names I can think of are lefties, and have benefited spectacularly from lefty politicians and their work in government, along with their generous subsidies.
Don't be disingenuous.

The wealthy and powerful have always been the main backers of the Republican party, and are so today.

If you know anything about the movement to privatize public services you can see that DeVos and her brother Prince are right there first in line.

It should be noted that this is exactly how criminally minded people with political connections stole the assets of Russia and other former Soviet states (Ukraine is another perfect example). These people became the notorious super-wealthy 'oligarchs' we have learned so much of, the people Trump admires and deals with so much. The people who have financed his company.

Reagan (way back in his day) tried to sell off the Hoover dam among other things (congress put a stop to it), others have been promoting privately owned military and privately owned prisons, even a privately owned post office. They want to exploit publicly owned lands and parks for their own greedy purposes. The goal is to take these public assets away from the American people.

Clearly, that is the next frontier in wealth building.

Old 05-01-2020, 12:40 AM

29,825 posts, read 24,913,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Don't be disingenuous.

The wealthy and powerful have always been the main backers of the Republican party, and are so today.

If you know anything about the movement to privatize public services you can see that DeVos and her brother Prince are right there first in line.

George Soros is not a republican. Bill Gates is not a republican. Jeff Bezos is not a republican. Heck, even Trump has spent much of his life being a democrat. Who are these wealthy people throwing money at republicans that you speak of? I know they exist, but I have a hard time believing they meet the definition of being oligarchs, or anything close to that.

Old 05-01-2020, 01:15 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timfountain View Post
So being a patriot means you have to storm a state parliamentary building armed with lethal weapons? Huh, it doesn't sound like the actions of a patriot to me. Sounds like a thug who can't get their way through peaceful means.
Yep this sounds terrorist. Terrorism mind you is the unlawful use of violence ant intimidation especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims. Except it is only terrorism if it is Muslims or ANTIFA. These militia groups are looked as "patriots." GMAFB you hypocrites. If ANTIFA did this, y'all would want them arrested and their skulls bashed in. Mind you I don't like violent protests period, but I am damn sick and tired of the hypocrisy.

Old 05-01-2020, 02:27 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Appears to have had some positive effect
Quote:
LANSING, Mich. (AP) — The Republican-led Michigan House refused Thursday to extend the state’s coronavirus emergency declaration and voted to authorize a lawsuit challenging Democratic Gov. Gretchen Whitmer’s authority and actions to combat the pandemic.
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/...s-restrictions

The imaginary nazis and proud boys supposedly in attendance could not be reached for comment.

Old 05-01-2020, 02:49 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Appears to have had some positive effect

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/...s-restrictions

The imaginary nazis and proud boys supposedly in attendance could not be reached for comment.
Great, the state of Michigan just negotiated with terrorists. Frank I know you wouldn't accept a left wing group doing the same thing without calling them thugs if not terrorists so time to be consistent here.

Old 05-01-2020, 02:58 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Great, the state of Michigan just negotiated with terrorists. Frank I know you wouldn't accept a left wing group doing the same thing without calling them thugs if not terrorists so time to be consistent here.
I support the cause and the cause here is freedom, which quickly renders any team ideology irrelevant

FYI im neither left or right wing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies