Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2020, 09:44 AM

35,702 posts, read 21,054,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
This thread is about WOMEN in the fifties therefore I'm comparing 1950s and 1970s rates for WOMEN.
yea I fixed it--- before coffee mistake
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2020, 09:56 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterful_Man View Post
No, women in the 1950s were much happier, fulfilling their biological role as moms and wives.
How many kids do you have?

Old 05-02-2020, 11:09 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
I asked my mother and several of her sisters what their favorite decade was. They said the 1950s. One sister said, "Without a doubt." And they were all adults during the '50s, not children.

My mom went out with several neighborhood wives at night to dinner and/or the movies. They took turns driving (yes, they did have driver's licenses and a car). They were not stuck at home as the myth claims.
US Population in 1955 was 160 million. Assume half were female.

That’s 80 million life experiences. About 20 million of them lived in desperate poverty, lacking indoor plumbing.

Appalachia and the rural south were hit hard. The mining industry in West Virginia shed 70,000 jobs as functions performed by humans were replaced with machines that were are far more productive or the mines closed.

Imagine most of that population, including women, were miserable.

Old 05-02-2020, 11:12 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
But it's the reverse today. Divorce is far too common and many times it's over silly things like the wife frequently burns the toast or the husband watches too much TV.
Divorce rate is at a 40 year low, for those under 55.

People do not divorce over burnt toast.

Old 05-02-2020, 11:31 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Many of those Bedford wives hated their families too--

"Sometimes, a woman would say, ‘I feel empty somehow . . . incomplete,’" Friedan wrote. "Or she would say, ‘I feel as if I don’t exist.’ Sometimes she blotted out the feeling with a tranquilizer. Sometimes she thought the problem was with her husband, or her children, or that what she really needed was to redecorate her house, or move to a better neighborhood, or have an affair, or another baby. Sometimes she went to a doctor with symptoms she could hardly describe: ‘A tired feeling . . . I get so angry with the children it scares me . . . I feel like crying with no reason.’"

https://womensenews.org/2011/06/frie...motional-core/
Betty Friedan is not a reliable source. /shrug/
https://www.britannica.com/topic/The-Feminine-Mystique

"The Feminine Mystique was one of many catalysts for the second-wave feminist movement (1960s–80s). By the end of the 1980s, however, its flaws had been clearly identified. Its arguments, broadly speaking, were less relevant, because twice as many women were in the workforce as had been during the 1950s. Furthermore, feminists of colour, notably bell hooks, found Friedan’s manifesto both racist and classist, not at all applicable to African Americans and other working-class women who joined the labour force from necessity. Social historian Daniel Horowitz, in Betty Friedan and the Making of The Feminine Mystique (1998), revealed that Friedan had been dishonest about her vantage point, which she claimed was that of a suburban mother and housewife. She had been a leftist radical activist from the time she was at Smith College. It was, he concluded, a necessary fiction if both she and her feminist ideas were to be given a chance to take root. Still other critics noted that she based some of her theories on studies that have since proved inaccurate."

I think those women that Friedan handpicked are not representative of women as a whole. As I've said repeatedly, ALL of the women in my family, going back 4-5 generations? ALL WORKED. Anecdotal? Yes. But true.

I think this idea of the henpecked, trembling 1950s housewife, horribly depressed, tanked out on tranquilizers all day falls under the umbrella of class issues. Not feminist issues.

Old 05-02-2020, 12:26 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Also because they worked harder to save their marriage instead of divorcing at the drop of a hat. BTW, my mom did work in a factory. Assembling radios. She also worked at Packard Bell.
Oh - did "they" really work harder to save their marriages?

Why would men work harder on a marriage when they held most of the cards already?

Women "working hard to save their marriages" meant them resigning themselves to bad relationships by buckling under and trying to find satisfaction with the kids and women friends while ignoring issues with a husband who may not have cared if she was happy or not as long as the house was in order. She was stuck...

I graduated from H.S. in 1981 - I remember my mom telling me to take typing in so I'd "have something to fall back on". I ended up going to grad school - typing still helped - but not by being a secretary!

Old 05-02-2020, 12:31 PM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post

Why would men work harder on a marriage when they held most of the cards already?

Women "working hard to save their marriages" meant them resigning themselves to bad relationships by buckling under and trying to find satisfaction with the kids and women friends while ignoring issues with a husband who may not have cared if she was happy or not as long as the house was in order. She was stuck...

I graduated from H.S. in 1981 - I remember my mom telling me to take typing in so I'd "have something to fall back on". I ended up going to grad school - typing still helped - but not by being a secretary!
Oh you're SO evolved. My Mom graduated with a B.S. in Accounting and became a CPA.....wait for it......in 1945.

Old 05-02-2020, 12:35 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Betty Friedan is not a reliable source. /shrug/
https://www.britannica.com/topic/The-Feminine-Mystique

"The Feminine Mystique was one of many catalysts for the second-wave feminist movement (1960s–80s). By the end of the 1980s, however, its flaws had been clearly identified. Its arguments, broadly speaking, were less relevant, because twice as many women were in the workforce as had been during the 1950s. Furthermore, feminists of colour, notably bell hooks, found Friedan’s manifesto both racist and classist, not at all applicable to African Americans and other working-class women who joined the labour force from necessity. Social historian Daniel Horowitz, in Betty Friedan and the Making of The Feminine Mystique (1998), revealed that Friedan had been dishonest about her vantage point, which she claimed was that of a suburban mother and housewife. She had been a leftist radical activist from the time she was at Smith College. It was, he concluded, a necessary fiction if both she and her feminist ideas were to be given a chance to take root. Still other critics noted that she based some of her theories on studies that have since proved inaccurate."

I think those women that Friedan handpicked are not representative of women as a whole. As I've said repeatedly, ALL of the women in my family, going back 4-5 generations? ALL WORKED. Anecdotal? Yes. But true.

I think this idea of the henpecked, trembling 1950s housewife, horribly depressed, tanked out on tranquilizers all day falls under the umbrella of class issues. Not feminist issues.
Lots of early theorists in every discipline will have some of their tenets found lacking, yet their influence was far reaching and others built on top of what they started. Hmmmmmm....think....Freud? He was a man of his times. No one believes now that boys want to actually kill their fathers and boink their mothers - and yet he founded the modern fields of psychiatry and psychology. Do we throw him out with the bathwater?

Betty Friedan revealed a lot of truth about what a lot of women experienced. There are few theories that can encompass the experiences of ALL people - unless you want to count the Unified Field Theory (HAS that been proven yet?!). You may not like much at all about Friedan but...so what?

Oh yeah, my mom worked...part time as a bank teller. Her mother was divorced when my mom was young - she worked as a phone operator. Both were really, really good paying jobs - and ones held primarily by women at that time.

Old 05-02-2020, 12:35 PM

19,637 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post

In 1980s you could start as a secretary with no college and work your way up to VP. We used to get tons of temps out of HS (they needed typing and basic computer skills which we trained them to do) set them up with companies for some entry level job, they would get hired and promoted within six months. It was a magical time.

Old 05-02-2020, 12:38 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,987,383 times
Name a time in history America was in a a more prosperous/healthier conditions than then 1950s? That decade was the PEAK of America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies