Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2020, 01:21 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Divorce rate is at a 40 year low, for those under 55.

People do not divorce over burnt toast.
Divorce is still much higher than in the '50s.

You would be surprised what people divorce over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2020, 01:24 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,040,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Divorce is still much higher than in the '50s.

You would be surprised what people divorce over.
And this is what you divorced over? Burnt toast?

Old 05-02-2020, 01:26 PM

35,702 posts, read 21,063,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Name a time in history America was in a a more prosperous/healthier conditions than then 1950s? That decade was the PEAK of America.
It was the time for Progress- I agree with that 100%. Housing was affordable - the Boomers were being popped out daily and electronic gadgets all made the world go round. Many worked and made decent money and every day there was a new thing. Credit cards, bar codes, modems, some industrial size computers, and microchips and microwaves became affordable. Why cook? women got to serve FROZEN TV DINNERS Burger King and Taco Bell - McDonald etc got going with drive-thru service. Women's work now was reduced to maybe 2 hours of the day. What now?

Old 05-02-2020, 01:27 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,949,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Lots of early theorists in every discipline will have some of their tenets found lacking, yet their influence was far reaching and others built on top of what they started. Hmmmmmm....think....Freud? He was a man of his times. No one believes now that boys want to actually kill their fathers and boink their mothers - and yet he founded the modern fields of psychiatry and psychology. Do we throw him out with the bathwater?

Betty Friedan revealed a lot of truth about what a lot of women experienced. There are few theories that can encompass the experiences of ALL people - unless you want to count the Unified Field Theory (HAS that been proven yet?!). You may not like much at all about Friedan but...so what?

Oh yeah, my mom worked...part time as a bank teller. Her mother was divorced when my mom was young - she worked as a phone operator. Both were really, really good paying jobs - and ones held primarily by women at that time.
Sorry, she's a hack and a LIAR. Any woman who lies about domestic abuse for personal gain is a piece of trash.

Which she did.

Old 05-02-2020, 01:33 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,040,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Hasn't this already been addressed? Do you really think people were happier in their marriages then, or do you think the fact that women had little chance to support themselves might have something to do with the fact that there were fewer divorces?

Just because a marriage doesn't end in divorce doesn't mean it's a happy marriage.
Seriously. Quantity over quality is a strange argument here.

Old 05-02-2020, 01:39 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,383,094 times
Quote:
Name a time in history America was in a a more prosperous/healthier conditions than then 1950s? That decade was the PEAK of America.
Yes, until companies starting getting greedier and shipping jobs first to the south, where people were used to low wages, and then abroad in an effort to maximize profits and undo the progress we'd made with labor rights and employment.

Old 05-02-2020, 01:49 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,505,945 times
Quote:
Yup. An average high school graduate out of school just a few years could buy a modest house for his young family on just one income. Young wife could stay home full-time with the kids. It wasn’t so bad.

Old 05-02-2020, 01:58 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,728,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Let me guess....another liberal.

Has any noticed that conservatives are OK with the women who enjoyed the life they had in the 50s - husband worked, they got to stay home and spend time with their kids, with lots of free time as well - and liberals are showing disdain for women unless they got a job. Exactly WHEN, according to liberals, did the wife have to get a job? Would you be OK if she stayed home until they were teens, or is that not acceptable?
Liberal here. Stayed home and homeschooled my kids all the way through. Many of my liberal friends did the same. When my kids were little, all of my friends were home with their own littles (very common in the circle I was in)... and most of us were liberal hippie types. Some chose to go to work later and some stayed home until the kids were much older.

It's a fallacy that only conservative women stay home with their children and only liberal women go to work. Pretty sure you knew that, though... don't you live in a liberal area? And there are no SAHMs? I could be mistaken and confusing you with someone else, but didn't/don't you work outside the home? And you're a conservative? I don't know if you have any children, but since your premise is that conservative women love staying home with their children and relying on their husbands for income, does that mean that maybe it's possible for a woman to do what she wants regardless of her political affiliation?

Would you have wanted to be told you couldn't have a job in the bank simply because you were a woman? No? That almost sounds like a liberal way of thinking!

Old 05-02-2020, 02:04 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,953,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Actually women had it pretty good in the 50's and 60's, arguably better than today. My mother played golf several times a week while my dad worked 3 jobs to support 5 kids. Most men I knew worked a full time job and some part time job for extra money. I knew some men who worked 2 full time jobs. Life was much tougher then. Very hard to explain to people who didnt live then how much different it was.

Really. I'm 45, work an essential job (I work for NYSOH), have no unpaid debt in spite of having several credit accounts (my oldest account is over 20 years old), own a car that is paid off in full (and was already paid off when I drove it out of the dealership), and I pay all my own bills and maintain my financial independence with no help from a man.

Point out to me a woman you knew from the 1950's and 1960's who could say the same during those decades.

Old 05-02-2020, 02:05 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,505,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Liberal here. Stayed home and homeschooled my kids all the way through. Many of my liberal friends did the same. When my kids were little, all of my friends were home with their own littles (very common in the circle I was in)... and most of us were liberal hippie types. Some chose to go to work later and some stayed home until the kids were much older.

It's a fallacy that only conservative women stay home with their children and only liberal women go to work. Pretty sure you knew that, though... don't you live in a liberal area? And there are no SAHMs? I could be mistaken and confusing you with someone else, but didn't/don't you work outside the home? And you're a conservative? I don't know if you have any children, but since your premise is that conservative women love staying home with their children and relying on their husbands for income, does that mean that maybe it's possible for a woman to do what she wants regardless of her political affiliation?

Would you have wanted to be told you couldn't have a job in the bank simply because you were a woman? No? That almost sounds like a liberal way of thinking!
I’m not saying that’s how liberal women felt THEN - when you were raising your kids. I’m noting that the disdain for women who SAH is coming from liberals TODAY. (One liberal did apologize and corrected herself.) If liberals TODAY put down women who choose to SAH, having respect only for women who choose to get a job, then they are not supporting a woman’s choice unless it is what they deem is the “correct way” to live one’s life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies