Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2020, 07:23 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,508,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
I will stop worrying and not protecting my family till a vaccine comes out or we can get an antibody test to see if we have immunity.

We are a family of non-smokers or vapors. If you have smoked or started vaping you need to be worried as your lungs are weaker.
Never smoked (eh....a few in college to show how "cool" I was) and never vaped. So that would mean that people who fall into the following category can really afford to take a risk and touch the mail:

1) Young (or at least not elderly)
2) No medical conditions
3) Never smoked/vaped

Old 05-01-2020, 09:05 AM

20,955 posts, read 5,547,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
There are at least a couple of doctors that post here.
Personally, I think that they are the only people qualified to answer your question.

Yeah, I wish Dr. Bill Gates would weigh in here on CD.

Old 05-01-2020, 09:50 AM

39,230 posts, read 27,618,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
I hear of some really extreme attempts to avoid any exposure with even a molecule of coronavirus- from wearing your mask in the car after grocery shopping because the there might be virus on the plastic bag and now it is circulating in the air in your vehicle, to disinfecting your mail and mailbox, to jumping into the shower after a walk during which you passed by someone for a second.

Healthy and young (or even relatively young bodies) are designed to fight off bacteria and viruses, and we do so all the time. We're not aware of it, but our bodies are a war zone as our defense system attacks microscopic invaders. It only becomes a problem if we are immuno-suppressed or quite old, when our systems are less effective.

That said, it appears that millions of people had the virus and didn't even know it. (One prison tested, and 96% had had it.) With the understanding that we of course will still protect the vulnerable (continuing quarantine on old-folks places), wouldn't it be good to have some tiny exposure to virus, such as that we might get walking a few feet behind him and breathing in his expelled air/surface cells, which are now diffused through the air), and allowing our bodies to build antibodies to attack this small viral load? I'm not saying it's a smart idea to have an infected person sneeze in your face, but really, is it wise (or even possible) to avoid total exposure to this virus?
I don't think it is 100% possible to avoid total exposure to this virus, but I think there are many ways to keep ourselves safe.

I read an article says,

The minimum infectious dose of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes Covid-19, is unknown so far, but researchers suspect it is low.The virus is spread through very, very casual interpersonal contact,” W. David Hardy, a professor of infectious disease at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine

https://www.statnews.com/2020/04/14/...make-you-sick/

The bold might be troubling news,

but

“It’s not proven, but it would make sense that higher inoculating doses will lead to higher viral loads, and higher viral loads would translate into more pathogenic clinical courses,” said Dan Barouch, director of the Center for Virology and Vaccine Research at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center.

So People with higher viral loads may also shed more whole viruses, which makes them more contagious, compounding the danger of spreading disease more widely.

If exposure to higher doses, or even frequent low doses, of SARS-CoV-2 does lead to worse health outcomes, there are significant implications for health care workers who are routinely exposed to Covid-19 patients.

People can get covid-19 through very casual contact, but maybe the viral dose is not high enough to make them very sick. Who knows? I wish there are more researches about this subject. If people were exposed to this virus through casual contact, they got sick with mild symptoms, eventually they recover with antibody, this might be the best scenario. I hope this is the case, but I don't know.

Old 05-01-2020, 09:58 AM

6,617 posts, read 5,013,577 times
No, that's not how viruses work, they don't stay at a negigable level, HIV patients can't keep their viral load down unless you are taking medicine. I don't think there is a difference between coughing into your mouth or you grabbing an infected handle and then touching your face.
I just got tested and I am negative but have a antibodies which means that I had it, I remember being as sick as I ever been for about two days, I was at a customer site and had to work but I get seasonal allergies that manifest in bronchitis like symptoms, so I did a telehealth got a zpack and some albuletor plus NyQuil and I beat it down in three days. My point is no one at Dallas site got sick, so I don't think it was then but other than that trip I been isolating at home so it had to be then. That was the first week of March.

Old 05-01-2020, 10:04 AM

10,363 posts, read 7,993,227 times
Right now we haven't the foggiest idea what constitutes a high viral load verses a low viral load with this particular virus. And to a degree, susceptibility is probably idiosyncratic: a viral load that Healthy Person #1's immune system can handle may be too much for Healthy Person #2's immune system to successfully overcome. Every person's immune system is different.

Old 05-01-2020, 10:44 AM

18,499 posts, read 9,167,872 times
Quote:
If I had been caught up in this, my business would have failed after a few months without revenue (I paid a lot for my commercial space and other fixed costs), and I would not only have lost my business but my employees would all be without jobs.
I’m sure your employees would have been absolutely heartbroken.

Old 05-01-2020, 11:30 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,508,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
I’m sure your employees would have been absolutely heartbroken.
Not sure what you mean, but I know you’re a leftist. So it must be some sort of nasty insult.

(The shortest tenure any employee had working for me was 6 years, and she left because of her husband’s transfer. The rest were 10 or more years.)

Old 05-01-2020, 01:46 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,521,399 times
Given the infectiousness, that the virus is in every state and nearly every county in the country, and that NYC had a 25% exposure rate over a week ago (undoubtedly higher now), you need to just plan on getting it, up until we have herd immunity. Fortunately, if you're not elderly and don't have major, underlying health conditions, odds are you'll never even know you had this bug. That's especially true in the summer, when sunlight and warmth weaken the bug meaning the viral loading is lower, and also when our immune systems are strongest.

Get on with your life and just deal with it. Unless you're old or especially unhealthy. Oh, and unlike some particularly low-IQ governors-don't mandate that nursing homes accept covid-positive patients. Test nursing home and home health care workers regularly and ideally make sure they have antibodies and are past the infectious period.

Old 05-01-2020, 01:59 PM

4,025 posts, read 1,879,736 times
This post is confusing. Rachel, if you worked for 40 years, then you cannot also be part of the "very young" group. 20% of the dead people are under age 65.

Meantime - "being asymptomatic" means you have it. you're sick. you're infected. you are contagious.

Old 05-01-2020, 02:05 PM

25,451 posts, read 9,813,207 times
Quote:
I hear of some really extreme attempts to avoid any exposure with even a molecule of coronavirus- from wearing your mask in the car after grocery shopping because the there might be virus on the plastic bag and now it is circulating in the air in your vehicle, to disinfecting your mail and mailbox, to jumping into the shower after a walk during which you passed by someone for a second.

Healthy and young (or even relatively young bodies) are designed to fight off bacteria and viruses, and we do so all the time. We're not aware of it, but our bodies are a war zone as our defense system attacks microscopic invaders. It only becomes a problem if we are immuno-suppressed or quite old, when our systems are less effective.

That said, it appears that millions of people had the virus and didn't even know it. (One prison tested, and 96% had had it.) With the understanding that we of course will still protect the vulnerable (continuing quarantine on old-folks places), wouldn't it be good to have some tiny exposure to virus, such as that we might get walking a few feet behind him and breathing in his expelled air/surface cells, which are now diffused through the air), and allowing our bodies to build antibodies to attack this small viral load? I'm not saying it's a smart idea to have an infected person sneeze in your face, but really, is it wise (or even possible) to avoid total exposure to this virus?
I saw an analogy from Chris Martenson at Peak Prosperity. He equates it to if two people are standing next to each other naked, and one pees on the other, the second person will get wet. The next example is if the person doing the peeing is wearing pants, less gets on the second person. Third example is if they're both wearing pants, the pee is pretty much contained to the person doing the peeing. The same with masks. The viral load is a lot less if there is sufficient material to catch the output.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies